Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-31-2016, 09:27 PM

Default Hey Everyone

My name is Ben. I'm looking for a hunting partner preferably from the Sylvan area. I'm an honest ethical hunter. I've only hunted whitetail and mule deer and lots of pheasant. This was mostly back home in Sask. I'm interested in bow and rifle hunting and would even give migratory birds a try. Id like to start branching out into some different critters like elk moose and would one day like to go after sheep. I should also mention I'm 30 years old married with kids, I like having drinks but I'm not a drunk. Like lots of Albertans I've had to make some sacrifices lately and I gave up my truck. I'm hoping to have another by hunting season but I'm no free loader and will pitch in wherever is needed. So if you would like some company, or a Sherpa let me know open to all.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2016, 11:02 AM

So I did post a while ago, not any replies. The situation has changed so I'll repost.

Hey all. My name is Matt, I'm a 25 and looking for a mentor for hunting(deer, elk, game birds, ect.) I am interested in talking and meeting up with a decently experienced hunter or hunters. I'm looking for a mentor who is willing to teach me and has some input on what to get for gear and supplies. I did not put in for draws this year but I am able to get the general licenses. I'm not looking to highjack some territory(I have a spot when I learn to be an able hunter.) I am purely out here to learn and have fun. I live in Fort Sask and am willing to drive and meet within reasonable distance. I can try to respond to PM's
Old 08-05-2016, 09:07 AM

Default Hunting partner

Hi everyone, I am a fresh one in this, just got my license and my rifle this year. Located in Edmonton and would go after some deer within 5-6 hours from the city. Contact me at wolfusor@yahoo.com
Old 08-05-2016, 02:54 PM

Any sheep hunters out there this year going it alone? I have hunted the last few years up the cline river/trail, whitegoat/allstones areas as well as ranger creek areas. Looking to expand into the Cadomin areas.

20 days boys and girls, 20 days.

PM if this peaks interests.

Good luck and shoot straight.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:42 PM

Cool Hunting Partner

Yo mate,

just passed my hunters exam and got my WIN #. never hunted in my life and looking to hunt this season any big game using crossbow/bow. anyone willing to help me out and be my mentor please? Thanks
Old 08-06-2016, 02:16 PM

Default Partner wanted!

Hi there, I recently have moved to Calgary from BC. I am 57 years old and have hunted since I was 20. I have hunted in several countries, as well as locally (Canada/US). If we make a hunting plan, I will DEFINETLY be there. An easy job and an allergy to exercise has softened "my keg" substantially, but I can still get it done, or just shoot further, LOL. Looking for someone to enjoy any type of hunting within the Calgary area,... or out of country.
I don't smoke, light social drinker on occasion, and would appreciate a partner with similar habits.
Big game, small game, birds, I am fully equipped for anything...just need a partner who knows the area somewhat and we are good to go!
Old 08-09-2016, 10:38 PM

Default Grouse

Looking to learn from someone more experienced in small game bird hunting. I'm a pretty quite guy for the most part, don't smoke, and ready to walk around and learn. Located in the 508. Willing to drive to meet within reason. Please PM if you would like to chat about availability.

Thanks
Homes Outside
Old 08-10-2016, 12:14 AM

Default Elk hunt in zones southwest of Calgary

Is anyone else interested in bow hunting elk early Sept. in the Livingston/Oldman areas. I have explored up there a bit and plan to do some more scouting. But...I have seen Grizz around and don't love the idea of going at it, processing, or hauling out alone, especially at night. If you're in the same boat, and would like to pair up or just be within radio distance of each other, if one or the other has luck (or distress), that'd be great. I am 32, an experienced though not veteran hunter, and I'm determined to give a solid effort this season.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:36 AM

Default Hunting Mentor Wanted

Hi all,
I am a young female looking for a hunting mentor (wouldn't say no to a fly fishing mentor either), I harvested a doe last year and have gone out with my boyfriend a few times but I would like to be more independent. I just bought a new 308 and really want to actually learn more about scouting, preparing, hunting and harvesting. AHEIA used to have a mentorship program but it looks like it has been nixed.
I am located in the Edmonton/Morinville area and work in agriculture so I am able to get permission on pasture and cropland in the area. I also have a cabin/land around Hoadley/Pigeon Lake that I am hoping to get permission on soon. Willing to travel within a couple hours or so.
I am pretty open to any type of mentor but a female would be awesome, it's hard to find young women interested in hunting, fishing, archery etc. Send me a message if your interested or know of someone that might be.
Cheers,
Shelby
Old 08-12-2016, 01:26 PM

Hey guys! Long time lurker here, really havent posted much (if anything).

I am looking for someone to mentor me, or even learn the ropes with me. I am a 24 year old male with little hunting background. Ive only done small game and waterfowl for the last few years but now I want to take the next step and learn big game. Ideally I would like to learn how to hunt deer, moose and elk.

I have my own rifle, bow, and most of the essential gear. I live in Edmonton but I am willing to travel pretty much anywhere. I am very respectful and always willing to learn. I even have access to private farmland to hunt on in the Lamont area. I Just have no idea how to "prep" a hunt, or scout and what to look for. If anyone is willing to take me under there wing or just learn together feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2016, 03:45 PM

Default Waterfowlers

Looking for intermediate to advanced Water fowlers in the Calgary area that want to combine efforts this fall.
I am 27 year old male. In good shape to set up and take down.

I would consider myself a beginner water fowler.

Have a 2 year old lab well trained in retrieving One leg left to achieve CKC Senior Hunter.
have a few duck and goose decoys but not lots.

I do have access to some spots but not what I would consider a honey hole.

Safe Ethical hunter of as long as I can remember.

PM any takers

Old 08-17-2016, 08:35 AM

Heading up to lac la biche area first weekend of September for whitetail. 28 yrs old have been hunting big game since I was 10. Anyone wants to come along and run some cut lines ( no roadside hunting) I have all the camping gear and a blind.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:48 PM

Default Looking for hunting partners in Edmonton area.

Hi, I'm a 17 year old hunter in Edmonton. I'm just getting into archery and I'm getting really excited about the upcoming season. I known some spots near Edmonton that have grouse, rabbit, waterfowl, deer and moose. I'm just looking for some buddies who like to hunt and fish too. P.M. me if you're in the Edmonton area and are interested in going hunting, fishing or going to the archery lanes some time.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:17 AM

Default No luck on draws this year( Edmonton)

Freezer is empty and I did not get drawn for moose this year.
Anyone in the Edmonton area that got drawn and needs a partner for moose give me a shout.
What I can bring along to the table is an ATV , tub trailer , truck , cargo trailer walk in cooler, heated shop to butcher in plus meat grinder and of course many years of moose hunting experience .Give me a shout and lets meet for coffee .

Last edited by -JR-; 08-18-2016 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:13 PM

Hi there
I am in Calgary
Not an experienced hunter by any mean but have been out hunting for few years, know few WMUs west of Calgary very well
Rifle hunter, Ethical, Social drinking

Hunting for deer on a general tag
Got my truck and ATV and all camping gear

Been scouting and looking for a likeminded partner to scout and pick few spots for the fall

Willing to travel up to 2 hour radius

Would like to meet for a coffee or a drink and chat first, PM me

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2016, 07:55 PM

Default waterfowl partner

Looking for a partner for waterfowl around edmonton and north east of edmonton out towards vermillion to stpaul area if needed.
I have all gear needed and some good areas, partner should have all there own stuff aswell or something to offer eg. area or decoys.

Easy going person that follows the rules, don't smoke but I like to have beers after the hunt.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:02 AM

Drayton Valley area deer hunting?
I've never hunted large game in my life. Would like to come along and observe if possible. I would go myself but don't know how to dress a deer at all.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:09 PM

Default dunnpicton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
I will be in the Suffield area for cow elk in the early season. If any one else needs some help or would like to join me then feel free to drop me a line. I was also drawn for archery antelope in the same season and zones. I am in Calgary.

Also interested in hunting geese and ducks. If any one else wants to hook up that has their own blind (I only have one for myself) then let me know. I am willing to scout with you but I can only run around on weekends due to work.
Hi I have a Suffield antlered draw for the second season, and looking for information as to how the hunt is held. Is it a mad scramble or are there a bunch driving all over the place. I have taken Elk in B C but would like some feedback as to how others hunted on the base
Old 08-27-2016, 05:36 PM

Default dunnpicton

Can anyone tell me how the Suffield hunt is carried out ? Are there yahoos driving all over the place, or are you assigned an area by yourself ? Hunt in meadows or tree cover. I have taken Elk in BC by calling but have no idea how this hunt is conducted. I would like to hear from anyone that has done the hunt and what and how you did. Thanks Rick
Old 08-28-2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnpicton View Post
Can anyone tell me how the Suffield hunt is carried out ? Are there yahoos driving all over the place, or are you assigned an area by yourself ? Hunt in meadows or tree cover. I have taken Elk in BC by calling but have no idea how this hunt is conducted. I would like to hear from anyone that has done the hunt and what and how you did. Thanks Rick
There's lots of threads about the Suffield hunt,just use the search function and you'll have plenty of reading for days lol. Most of it is negative review,some guys said its alright. Not much of a hunt though,more of a cull deal. Good luck...
Old 08-28-2016, 10:46 PM

Default Bowhunting partner

Looking for somebody to come archery moose hunting with me September 3, 4, and 5th. Live in Whitecourt, thinking of going to wmu 353 or somewhere around there. First time hunting. My other hunting buddy bailed on me.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:44 PM

Default black bear partner

I'm looking for a partner/Mentor to go black bear hunting with this fall I've never hunted bear, I've gotten a couple elk and a white tail over the past few years with a rifle.
I'm willing to travel anywhere in the Alberta area for the opportunity to learn and hunt one distance is not an issue.
I'm from the medicine hat area pm me if your willing to go with a greenhorn this fall.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:44 PM

Howdy,
First time moose hunter heading up to 542 this year. I've got a few elk and lots of white tail in the past. I'm looking for other hunters in the area that would like to share their experience there during this season, such as dead zones or areas to avoid.

If you're at all interested in exchanging information this fall shoot me a message. I will be hunting solo as well, so if you're after a partner that works for me too.

Cheers,

Jon
Old 08-29-2016, 07:20 PM
Banned

Hello all I'm on my 15th year of hunting I have a 100% success rate on whitetail that range from 140-170. I'm an avid elk hunter as well I see lots every year only harvested 2 looking for someone to tag along with or mentor I'm 29 now. I have some very quiet great areas to hunt. I don't hunt private land mostly mountain area and cut block area feel free to pm me
Old 08-30-2016, 01:34 AM

Default Peace River area

Hey, I'm 34 and this is my first year hunting, my first hunt was a successful Spring Bear, got draws for antlerless elk and doe mule, in 527. I'm looking for people in my area that will be duck and grouse hunting as well, I'm wanting to go and bag some birds but it's all new to me. Have a nice Rem 870 shotgun and an accurate .22lr rifle, so if anyone is from the area and wants a partner, let me know.

I'm pretty laid back and quiet, and will be very respectful.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:27 PM

Hi everyone,

First time antlerless elk hunt in WMU 526, starting December 21. I have the iHunter App, and will be purchasing the land ownership map to go with it. I also have a tag for a mule deer in WMU 527, ending December 20. I'm hoping to make a trip up there and hopefully come back with both tags filled. I'll be travelling from Sherwood Park.

I'm hoping that someone can help me figure out some decent spots to scout ahead of time, and give me any tips to help me in either WMU. I'm still fairly new to big game hunting, so any help would be appreciated. I'm not looking for trophies (as indicated by my tags!), just looking for meat for the family. Also not afraid to go and talk to some farmers who are receptive to having a respectful hunter work their land - I would just rather have a good starting spot so I don't waste time bothering people who won't allow access.

If anyone is interested in mentoring or helping out with the hunt, we can meet for a coffee or a beer and see if this is a fit.

Thank you!
Old 08-30-2016, 11:33 PM

Hi my name is Ade , male, late twenties and located in Calgary. Let's start with what I can give, I'm handy with computers, bilingual if you need to practice French or English. I'm not a certified personal trainer, however I can write programs or assist with meeting fitness goals.

I recently got my first rifle and I haven't fired it yet, because looking for a place to sight or practice with the rifle without paying an arm and a leg is looking doubtful. Also affordable shooting ranges have waiting lists. If anyone with experience is willing to show me how to be a better marksman, or provide details on where I can practice safely, I'd appreciate that.

I'm also in the process of getting the online hunter education course. I'd like to hunt, as that's the only reason I purchased a firearm. Although the course is a good one, it doesn't reflect the reality on the ground. An experienced and willing mentor would be appreciated.

I hope to be able to return the favor to those who may need it some day.
Please send a pm if you're able to assist.

Thanks

Sent from my A1-830 using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2016, 01:23 PM

Hi everyone!

My name is Brendan, I'm 28, and am fairly new to Calgary. I moved to Calgary for work (I'm a pilot), so I have a mixture of weekdays and weekends off. My goal is to get into hunting ducks and geese this year. I don't have a preference for over water or field shoots, I just don't have a way to get them out of the water yet. I don't have much gear yet though. I've got a Benelli Supernova 12 gauge that I've patterned with multiple different ammo, a dozen floater mallards and I made about 30+ Canada goose silhouettes. I don't have a ground blind yet but I do want to get one. I also definitely don't mind driving few hours either.

I'd love to tag along and help with setup/takedown and learn a few things. I don't smoke, I occasionally have a beer or two and am very responsible and polite. I'm planning to go out myself to scout, ask permission and find shoots myself too. So if you'd like a hand setting up, and some company for a shoot I'd love to join! Thanks for your time!
Old 09-01-2016, 05:13 PM

Default Waterfowl Mentor

Looking to see if anyone would let me tag along for a duck/goose hunt. tried last year at couple DU spots but no luck. I do have my own gun/blind/PAL/Licenses, what I do not have is decoys. We can use my truck and I will take care of gas. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:02 PM

Default Moose hunt

Looking for an experience moose hunter to take along with me on my moose hunt to fill my draw on a moose tag archery early or rifle in November. PM if interested.