Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 10:27 AM

Default Question for the family man big game hunters out there

Ever since I was old enough to hunt on my own I have spent nearly all my daylight hours, out side of work, in the bush hunting. I am now getting close to 30 yrs old and have many more responsibilities than I used to have (wife that likes me home, toddler that is too young to come along yet, and another little one on the way.)
My question to you fellow hunters in similar positions is how has your hunting time changed over the years? How have you adapted to make everyone happy?
Do you find that its better to make less short 1 day (or morning/evening) hunts and plan 2 or 3 longer hunts throughout the season (week long hunt camps)?
Thanks for any input!
Dj19
Old 09-19-2017, 10:31 AM

You take the time you can get is what I did with two kids. Then when my son was about 6 ish, he started coming for the day so mom only had one to deal with.

It's also about what your wife is willing to give. They are busy too all week long and need a break as well. Find that happy medium.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:35 AM

Its a constant struggle.
Hunt closer to home, short half day trips if you can.
And lower your expectations, you won't get to put the time in that's required to kill really big bulls or bucks accept it and focus more on enjoying the hunt even if it's just for does.

Before having a kid I hunted from September 1st to November 31st.
And will usually fill all my tags, I've shot 1 deer in the 3 seasons since my son was born.

Also a great time to 999 your draws and build priority
Old 09-19-2017, 10:38 AM

If you find a good woman, she will understand.

Some women like men for the fact they are masculine and they hunt. You have to remind them of of that if they try to change you.

If you take alot of time to yourself to hunt in the fall, just make sure you make it up to her in the winter and spring and summer and spend more time with them and include them in on family friendly activities like picnics and hikes.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:45 AM

As a wife I can tell you that I am HAPPY when hunting season comes along.

I get time to myself. I usually have some good books and bottles of wine to keep me entertained when he is gone. And as an added bonus my house is cleaner when hubby is not home.

But for me the most inportant thing for me is that hubby loves hunting and I would never want to stand in the way of that.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:49 AM

I have three kids myself. Didn't start hunting till my oldest was born. This is my 13th season. It was very tough to get time away that first year after my daughter was born. I took what little time I could get and was happy with it. My wife is much better with it now. but my kids are not so little anymore, my youngest is 5, oldest is 13, and the middle one is 10. It was pretty tough when the older two were still young.

Mama wants all the help she can get around the house, and all you want to do is disappear and chase wild animals around. Your mind is constantly somewhere else. Do as much as you can to help her out, if she knows that she is as important or more, than hunting is, you should get some time away no problem. I'm not always the best at making my wife feel more important than hunting. And it can wreak havoc sometimes. So, show her she's important, and you should be alright!!

Good luck this season, and congrats on the new baby!! Kids are awesome!!
Old 09-19-2017, 11:11 AM
Banned

Family should come first.

Happy wife, happy life.

Keep the weekends at home, hunt during the week on time off so it is not as noticeable that you are gone.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:16 AM
Banned

There were a few years I didn't even buy a license. Family is priority.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:18 AM

Stay at home, make a real ass of yourself, get in the way as mush as possible, fire up every power tool you have, and ask her for as much help as you can think of.

After a day or 2 she will love to see you go hunting more often.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:21 AM

With two young kids I manage with short half day or 1 day trips. They are few and far between though. Haven't been out even once this year. Oh well, I enjoy spending time with my kids so it doesn't bother me none.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:22 AM

I am in a similar boat(pretty much exact same). I've got a 2+ year old and one on the way. Since he has come along I talked to my wife about it and she would rather me take an entire week to go hunting then trying to get out every other weekend. She felt that was easier to deal with than constantly gone on the weekends for 3ish months. I do try to fit a few bird hunts in with some late season family camping as well where I go out in the morning or evening for no more than 2 hours. Other than those though I stick to my week with no other hunting trips.

Talk to the wife and see what you can work out. Next year for me with a 10 month old and 3 year old might be a new conversation and a new agreement.

Last edited by kedive; 09-19-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmeNoah View Post

I get time to myself. I usually have some good books and bottles of wine to keep me entertained when he is gone. And as an added bonus my house is cleaner when hubby is not home.

But for me the most inportant thing for me is that hubby loves hunting and I would never want to stand in the way of that.
You boys need to clone this women, this is not the norm.

My wife is great. I'm gone hunting at least 80-90 days a year because it's my business. When I'm hunting or trapping for myself my boy comes with me, he's been coming to the Trapline since he was 2 months old. Sometimes it was a hassle, most times it was great.

Make time for you wife, make time for your family, and make time for hunting. It's all about balance.

It also helps if your wife has hobbies she likes to do on her own. If her only hobby is you and spending time with you you're likely going to have a problem
Old 09-19-2017, 11:29 AM

Make your time in the field count wth quality areas to hunt, other friends etc. I've organized a retreat with friends from Church this year too. I also do a lot more half-day hunts near Edmonton, going out before dark, hunting until 10-12 and working the last half of the day.

Doing stuff to make her life easier while you're gone helps. Ask her for ideas but I've been known to schedule a house-cleaner while I'm gone. Even just 2-3 hours to do bathrooms only or just to wash the walls. Not about buying moral license but to actually make her day easier while I'm gone.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:13 PM

I used to put on a lot of miles and hunt different areas throughout the season. When my kids came along I started acquiring permission close to home. I still hunted regularly but my time away was way less by doing evening hunts instead of weekends, less driving and overnights not required. It also helped my success rates by being able to scout/monitor my hunting properties year round and keep in contact with landowners which always helps with securing permission in future seasons. It's paying off now because my kids can get out with me in the evening/weekends which gives the wife some R&R.....win/win!!

Last edited by 7magtime; 09-19-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:16 PM

You can never get the time back you missed with your kids.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 09-19-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo-Gecko View Post
Its a constant struggle.
Hunt closer to home, short half day trips if you can.
And lower your expectations, you won't get to put the time in that's required to kill really big bulls or bucks accept it and focus more on enjoying the hunt even if it's just for does.

Before having a kid I hunted from September 1st to November 31st.
And will usually fill all my tags, I've shot 1 deer in the 3 seasons since my son was born.

Also a great time to 999 your draws and build priority
x2 Live in the season of now, not yesterday. I have two young boys as well, I hunt closer to home, and less frequently. However I know that soon enough they'll be older and the hills will still be there. I'm learning to be patient.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Stay at home, make a real ass of yourself, get in the way as mush as possible, fire up every power tool you have, and ask her for as much help as you can think of.

After a day or 2 she will love to see you go hunting more often.

This guy looks like he has some experience
Old 09-19-2017, 12:47 PM

My daughter is 5 now. I finally took her out hunting once this year. My wife loves wild game but hates when I am gone. I make sacrifices all year round. Send my wife on girls nights out and such. So that when hunting season comes along she has no reason to hold me back. She still wines but it's minor. Lol do what you can. Go out when you can. I'll take a short morning hunt or a quick late night over not hunting at all. I started bow hunting to give me more time out.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 09-19-2017, 01:18 PM

My time has gone down quite a bit as can be expected - I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. To compensate, I've done more bird hunting and am gone for a half day in those cases. For big game, I have shot the first buck I saw for the past 3 years. All small, but I just make sure to make the most of the chances I get. I'm not too concerned about taking a trophy buck right now, and to be honest the little guys taste better so I'm just as happy to get a small one. It is what it is for now - in a few years they'll want to come with and I can trophy hunt in the future.

My wife likes to plan things so I find that if I give her plenty of heads up it also helps out - this may work for you too. I also try to plan trips around when the in-laws are in town. She gets help and I have a good excuse to escape from the M-I-L!

It was certainly an adjustment though, but well worth it.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:19 PM

Default Getting Out!

I feel you bud. I have a 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 year old at home and the rules certainly change when you have kids. I find the best solution for us was to come upon an agreement early on about time away from the family. Set a certain amount of days a year that you are each entitled to. That way you don't end up with someone feeling like they are getting the short end of the stick. Obviously it is hard for her to get away in the first 6-9 months with the newborn so you have to take that into account but after that she should be able to fill in her days with girl trips etc and you should be able to handle the munchkins on your own. The worst thing for any relationship is resentment so making sure everyone is good with the arrangement up front is my best advice. We have done this the last 3 years and it has worked well for us.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:04 PM

My boys discovered hockey,nuff said.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:20 PM

Mrs. D hunts too.

And the kiddos tag along as soon as they could, both hunt now too.

And she is the child rearing expert. She also runs a dayhome outta our house.
She has since our daughter was 6 months old.

She knew about my hunting when we met, she understands my psyche, heck for 10 years I worked a 14 in 14 out shift. She managed just fine.

Or biggest problem was burning out family to come baby sit the kids.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-19-2017, 02:41 PM

I used to hunt every day off I had through the hunting season. Now that we've got kids I hunt a lot less and if I'm hunting they're with me. I have the added curse of working internationally so I'm gone for six months of the year already. When I'm home the family is priority number 1, if they're not with me I don't want to be doing it. The boys started coming with me when they were a year old, they're two years apart so last year I had a 1 and 3 year old with me. They've spent a lot of time in a backpack. I've given up a lot of archery hunting because they're not quiet enough, I even broke down and shot a bear with a rifle this year because they can't be quiet enough for an archery hunt.
The wife also hunts with me, this year she's out because she's due with our third this week but between the two of us we pull high probability elk or moose tags so we can fill the freezer in a day or two. The rest of the year the boys and I chase birds or deer, just not the way I used to do it. Truth be told I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:03 PM

I have 4 kids under 9. The oldest is usually with m- half the time I suppose. My wife understands that time in the bush is important to me. She married me knowing that. She doesn't expect me to change who I am to fit her agenda. Yes we need to be cognizant of her and her needs as well as the kids. I still pick my spots to hunt around the family schedule but have no issues slipping out 20 days a year +. I love her for the fact she not only just "puts up" with it but encourages me to get out there. Heck she even did her Hunters Training so she could spend time afield with me. I have no issues taking my 8 yo and 3 yo sons out with me. They will be seasoned veterans before 12 years old. Give and take, you gotta take care of her when you're around and enjoy the time away when you get it....
Old 09-19-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I used to hunt every day off I had through the hunting season. Now that we've got kids I hunt a lot less and if I'm hunting they're with me. I have the added curse of working internationally so I'm gone for six months of the year already. When I'm home the family is priority number 1, if they're not with me I don't want to be doing it. The boys started coming with me when they were a year old, they're two years apart so last year I had a 1 and 3 year old with me. They've spent a lot of time in a backpack. I've given up a lot of archery hunting because they're not quiet enough, I even broke down and shot a bear with a rifle this year because they can't be quiet enough for an archery hunt.
The wife also hunts with me, this year she's out because she's due with our third this week but between the two of us we pull high probability elk or moose tags so we can fill the freezer in a day or two. The rest of the year the boys and I chase birds or deer, just not the way I used to do it. Truth be told I wouldn't have it any other way.
Good to see you've adapted. That's so cool. Way to go dad!
Old 09-19-2017, 05:44 PM

It's a game of give and take. I will send my wife away for some weekends or trips throughout the year, and then she owes you, ha,ha. You have ten months or whatever when there is no hunting to be a great husbabd and father. Mske the most of that tume, and she will then be happy to see you have some fun.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:47 PM

Lotsa good stories here. My oldest is 3, youngest is 1. Married for 14 years. I was an every weekend hunter until my son was born. Since then I've managed one or two weekends a season, sometimes one of those two outings was just an afternoon for grouse. The change didn't really phase me a bit, harder on my hunting buddy i think.
My wife is all for me going, due to her working away the only time i can go is when she's on days off so I'd usually rather stay home and have family time.
My oldest will be 4 next year and we've decided it's next year I can take him on some afternoon walks for grouse and I can't wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2017, 07:24 PM

Default Family and Hunting

Family first. Build relationships with your kids and soon enough they will want to join Dad on those day trips when they are older. We all get caught up watching those great hunting videos on Youtube but its not reality. Cherish what you have today and build on that. As your children age, teach them about conservation, gun safety and responsible hunting.

There will always be animals to chase!
Old 09-19-2017, 07:27 PM

A lot more goose and grouse - not as much full day hunts. That's how I'm doing it anyways.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmeNoah View Post

I will get you to call my wife and explain your view on this subject.👍🏻