Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-07-2017, 09:49 PM
Banned

Could it be possible that some clown swithched the shells in the store?
Old 09-08-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Like has been said, I would lean more towards purchaser walks up to counter and says "I want 300 magnum shells, cheapest you got". Clerk hands purchaser 300 win mag shells instead of wby mag. Purchaser doesn't check, and seller probably has never heard of cheap and weatherby in the same sentence, so winchester it is.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
The headstamps would still read 300winmag. Shooter error in any case.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:59 AM

delete
Old 09-08-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The headstamps would still read 300winmag. Shooter error in any case.
x2 I go over my ammo weather store bought or reloaded,i am shooting it and if I don't have the commons sense to check what is go down my chamber there is no one to blame but me so the op was right on asking what he had if he didn't know.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I'd be interested to know if anybody has actually been injured through this mistake? At first blush, it looks like because the round headspaces on the belt, it could not move forward enough .... thus preventing separation at the back end...and that the shoulder blows forward to create a secondary point of headspace on the shoulder....and seals off at that point?
I am not familiar with these rounds but it looks like the WBY belt did grow a bit?
Would be interesting to know as well. I'm not about to test it however. The distance from the base to the top of the belt is the same on both cartridges so it would headspace on the belt. In theory this should seal off the chamber on fireing. I wonder how many case separation issues come into gunsmiths from this mistake as well.

I would be concerned about the massive jump for the bullet to enter the barrel. With nearly a 1/4" overall length difference that bullet could almost tumble into the lands. I also wouldn't be to convinced on it being aligned with the barrel. The Weatherby is a fatter case (.072" larger at the shoulder with minimal taper) so the Win Mag brass would just "float" in the chamber.

All in all nothing about it sounds good to me. Seems to be a relatively common mistake based on the comments however. Guess it hasn't caused to many serious issues (or we haven't heard of them).
Old 09-08-2017, 03:49 PM

This stuff happens more often than one would like to see some like this one you get lucky Ive seen that combo mismatched before and 30-378 fired in a 338-378
The one that had my head shaking was i seen a rifle that a fellow managed to chamber and fire a 338federal in a 30-06 the rifle was destroyed shooter got lucky
That one really bugged me should have been really obvious before hand and especially when trying to chamber youd have to really hammer that bolt to get any 308 based cartridge in a 30-06 chamber cartridge diameter on 308 cases are slightly larger and for this very reason im sure
Old 09-08-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
I would be concerned about the massive jump for the bullet to enter the barrel. With nearly a 1/4" overall length difference that bullet could almost tumble into the lands.
There should be no tumbling to engage the barrel. Original Wby rifles often had in excess of 3/4 inch of freebore before the lands.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
There should be no tumbling to engage the barrel. Original Wby rifles often had in excess of 3/4 inch of freebore before the lands.
Not sure if I'm correct as I have never really looked at the dimensions closely. My thought was that the case would headspace off the belt. This would put the projectile floating in the chamber before fireing. It would then have a significant distance to travel in chamber before even entering the bore. With the large diameter of the chamber and no stabilization the bullet could wobble a great deal. They may not be the case and the bullet may sit in the bore I am not 100% sure.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
Not sure if I'm correct as I have never really looked at the dimensions closely. My thought was that the case would headspace off the belt. This would put the projectile floating in the chamber before fireing. It would then have a significant distance to travel in chamber before even entering the bore. With the large diameter of the chamber and no stabilization the bullet could wobble a great deal. They may not be the case and the bullet may sit in the bore I am not 100% sure.
If the numb chuck is firing Win Mags in a Wby, do you really think he has any concept or skill that would matter one bit if the bullet had a bit of engagement issues or run out issues?

This stuff is covered ad nausum in the CFSC, so if you're not 10% smarter than what you're using, leave it the hell alone.

There are no absolutes