Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-30-2017, 09:11 AM

Smile Grouse ?

Any one seeing many Ruffie's this year.

Personally have not seen many yet, But same as last year saw 0 working in the County. Once I hit the bush they were everywhere.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:23 AM

I have not, but i have not been in the right place to look for them.

But, boy am I excited!!!
Old 08-30-2017, 09:29 AM

Saw a couple hiking in 408 last weekend. One literally walked up to us while we sat down for lunch. I confirmed that my dog is not meant for hunting as the grouse was about 10 ft away in clear open grass and it never saw it haha
Old 08-30-2017, 09:59 AM

I scared up a very large family a few days ago. 14 chickens at 15 feet flying at once will get most people's attention. Only the second group I have seen in months. The first was also a large family of 13 or 14 but the chicks were like big bumble bees. I couldn't believe they could fly being so tiny.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:31 AM
Banned

I've been trapsing around Elk hunting every day since Friday morning and I have yet to see one. Last year we were tripping over them in here.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:39 AM

Seen 4 out hiking in Peter Lougheed provincial park.
Sprucies.

Werent scared at all. Could go right up to them and almost pet them.

Saw a ruffie fly away while I was out flyfishing in 406
Old 08-30-2017, 04:22 PM

Default grouse

Opening day friday and im going out to 999 , ill let ya now how many i shoot and see .
Old 08-31-2017, 09:20 AM

I flushed a pair out of some long grass in 314 last weekend when I was out messing with my cameras. I have a feeling they're going to be scarce in the SW foothills this year, as they're on the downswing of their 7-year cycle
Old 08-31-2017, 09:58 AM

Lots of berries in the woods and no reason for them to be out on the roads for clover etc. Until the family groups break up they will be hard to find but I have been seeing a few, always near a water source. Hunt near streams and swamps, the birds will be there and the dogs can stay cool.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Lots of berries in the woods and no reason for them to be out on the roads for clover etc.
I think this is the case as well.

Have a recent encounter with a large family group in the thick stuff. Good to see!
Old 08-31-2017, 12:28 PM

Seen a couple already, gettinh excited!
Old 08-31-2017, 01:12 PM

Tons of spruce this year it seems, so I assume ruffed did well too.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:16 PM
Banned

Day 7 of walking 5-15 miles / day in awesome Chicken country. Still have yet to see a single one!

9 Grizz
3 Black Bears (one in camp at 3am this morning )
Dozens of Mulies (1 B E A U T I F U L monster)
20 Whitetails or so
1 Spike bull Elk
2 Shooter bull Elk
A handful of cow Elk
No Moose.

Weird start to the year. Hopefully this crazy wind subsides today.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:01 PM

In the northern part of the province, last year was about as good as I can remember in recent times. Although I'm hoping that maybe this year or next might be the peak, I suspect that we might be back to year one of the cycle... tough grouse hunting. This year will either be superb or lean in my area, from what I've seen it isn't looking superb.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:21 PM

I've seen a few in 322; almost stepped on one a couple weeks ago out there, just sat there and stared at me so I went around it.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:10 PM
Banned

I've seen a few in Strath County and in 254, but it seems to me that numbers are down. Game bird starts tomorrow around here. I'm guessing some will post some ruffie or pheasant harvest's.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
In the northern part of the province, last year was about as good as I can remember in recent times. Although I'm hoping that maybe this year or next might be the peak, I suspect that we might be back to year one of the cycle... tough grouse hunting. This year will either be superb or lean in my area, from what I've seen it isn't looking superb.

Fort McMurray area was full of them last year. Absolutely excellent Grouse hunting.

I've been out on the quad a half dozen times in the same areas this year and I haven't seen a bird.

I wouldn't have believed it after last year.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Fort McMurray area was full of them last year. Absolutely excellent Grouse hunting.

I've been out on the quad a half dozen times in the same areas this year and I haven't seen a bird.

I wouldn't have believed it after last year.
Ok good. Then I'm not crazy / worst chicken spotter ever...
Old 09-01-2017, 06:09 AM

Too many variables too early in my opinion, you really don't know an idea of the numbers until it cools off and the birds come out to feed more.
Normally I never see many birds this early in this heat and I actually seen a few the last two days not expecting to see any. Couple were sharpies too!
Come the frosty mornings places I never seem to see birds are just loaded with them all the sudden, so I don't worry about early season sightings.
Even on that note, I do think it will be a good year since at the same time frame a friend of mine had 7 in front of him on a residential road in Saprae Creek. It can only get better in my opinion so expecting a better year then last year myself.
The burn around McMurray seemed for me anyways to push the birds out to the unburnt areas. The moose didn't seem to mind and stuck it out through the burn with the fresh browse. A lot new forest floor growth this year and soaked up all the excess water we had from last year too. I don't even need my Argo this season. Spots where I was floating are bone dry now.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:24 AM

You may be right Sparx. It was mid September through to end of the season last year when I was seeing a lot of birds.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:11 PM

Good info. Planing the first Argo run next weekend for some chickens and check out the early moose activity but sounds like I won't need the Argo!
Old 09-01-2017, 08:41 PM

I bought a 2003 Honda Racher ES 350 last year. Just over 1000 Kim's for $3000. Not a mark on it. Spent its whole life on a ranch in the southern part of the province. A guy brought it up here and after the first Muskeg hole he never rode it again.

Not the smoothest ride but very basic and light. I stuck some 26x12x12 Mudlites on the back and 26x10x12 on the front. The thing will go through Muskeg that will sink a big machine. Still not an Argo but I've had 3 of them since being up here and I think my Argo days are done. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with them.

I've only been turned around a couple times this year because I didn't think I'd make it through.

Do you have a Bull draw ArgoHDI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgoHDI View Post
Good info. Planing the first Argo run next weekend for some chickens and check out the early moose activity but sounds like I won't need the Argo!
Old 09-01-2017, 09:24 PM

Yes, 518 Early. This will be the 4th season hunting our honey hole without being skunked yet. No hunting pressure where we go so normally second day we can call a bull in no problem.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgoHDI View Post
Yes, 518 Early. This will be the 4th season hunting our honey hole without being skunked yet. No hunting pressure where we go so normally second day we can call a bull in no problem.
Nice. There are some good spots in 518. A lot of it you need an Argo for most years. A quad can be a lesson in frustration. Plus, it's nice to get in a ways and camp out. I spent a lot of time trying to get a bull staying in town each night and hunting the day. Beat myself up traveling each day. I ended up buying a wall tent and all the gear. Spend away getting somewhere then set up camp. You end up not seeing anyone until mid-day if at all. They end up heading out so they aren't travelling in the dark... Best part of the day is wasted.

I was going to go try and find some birds this morning. Instead I went for a boat ride and managed to find a few fish. Maybe on Monday.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:42 PM

my Boys saw + 20 grouse in 2 days

bro n I saw 17 in 2 days all from lease roads

good luck in your hunts everyone

leave's still on n lots of food in bush

Oct snows n Nov will bring them out or u will see tracks

saw 223 grouse last year with 10 being Sharptails which are not hunted out here

should be a great Year !!!

David
Old 09-04-2017, 11:58 AM

Friend and I saw 7, got 3 in 316 yesterday. They're definitely eating clover, as well as berries.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:19 PM

We've seen lots all summer.

Lots of roughies.... big family groups.... tonnes of blues.... and many families of Huns

The family little ones are real little! Can they have more than one clutch?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 09-04-2017, 10:16 PM

I've actually seen quite a few this year in the foothills. The dog scared up a family of 5 while we were running today and the ones I saw were all pretty scrawny and obviously the hatch of the year. Not much meat on them and I think I will give them a while before I go back with the gun. I find season opener a tad on the early side for chickens. The good news is the dog has found lots.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:08 AM

We spent the weekend in 349. Only saw 5, but still so much cover who knows how many we didn't see. With the wind and rain they stayed off the trails.
The smell of cranberries and currents was in the air, no use being exposed browsing on clover.
Saw tons of deer and skittish little Blackie too.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2017, 09:47 PM

I recall reading some past posts about how the grouse seem to be where the elk are. Saw my first grouse of the hunting season yesterday and within 40 yards saw a cow elk. Both still roamin' the land!