Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2017, 07:09 PM

Default Cell Data Plans for IPad

I don't understand much of this "stuff" so please school me. I purchased an IPad with the cellular feature anticipating that I will eventually use a data plan so I can stay connected when camping. Given that use will be "seasonal", I would like to avoid the requirement to purchase a "plan" ... but rather use a "prepaid data plan" during the summer months. Can this be done? If so, suggestions.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:52 PM

Which provider are you looking at using and are your camping spots going to be in decent cell range?
Old 08-28-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan_357 View Post
Which provider are you looking at using and are your camping spots going to be in decent cell range?
My understanding is that all the main players (Telus / Bell ...) sell the SIM crds that are connected to "monthly" plans. What I would like is just a short term "plan" ...say three months....without paying for the plan for the whole year.
(I currently use a Telus "stick" which costs $5.00\month for 500MB data. For 10 months, I do not use the stick, but when camping...I can be over my 500MB pretty quick and then it gets expensive.)
Camping pretty much in AB and BC.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:24 PM

Depending on who you are currently with, you may be able to put it on a family share plan that shares the data you already have.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:25 PM

If you have a data plan on your phone, you should be able to share the data between the two. Mine is $10/month to share data between phone and iPad.

If I understand, you don't have a phone with data. Just get a sim for the iPad, sign up for a month to month data plan and cancel it after camping Season.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 08-28-2017, 08:28 PM

As kind of mentioned in the post above me, another option you have is, instead of putting SIM card in the iPad you could hot spot your cell phone. Then depending on the data plan you have on your cell phone, you may or may not need to "top up" during the summer months. That's what I do. It works great for me. When I get the text saying that I'm at 75% data used I log into the Telus app and look at the usage and see how long it is till the next month, if it's close then I purchase a top up through the app and I'm good to go. Takes seconds and no extra bill.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:42 PM

The plan you're wanting I don't believe exists with Bell or Telus, your best option would probably be to hot spot off your cell using your current plan if you have the data. If you add a device to a share plan you can't remove any devices without changing to a non share plan, at least with Bell.

If you're not using your data stick you might be better off cancelling it and just going to a good data plan for your camping months then switching back to your regular phone plan for the rest of the year.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:45 PM

I should have mentioned that I do not have data on my trusty flip phone. Us old guys use our cell phones for talking. I got a text once.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:53 PM

bell or Telus seem to have good signal I think a SIM card is about 50$ depending on the provider
Old 08-28-2017, 09:20 PM

You may have to talk to your provider and see what they can do for you with a tablet plan and either cancel it after you're done camping or drop it to the cheapest rate for the rest of the year. From what I looked at there isn't any short term plans (standard 1 or 2 year plans) or a pre payed plans with Telus or bell.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
You may have to talk to your provider and see what they can do for you with a tablet plan and either cancel it after you're done camping or drop it to the cheapest rate for the rest of the year. From what I looked at there isn't any short term plans (standard 1 or 2 year plans) or a pre payed plans with Telus or bell.
It does seem like the Telus type providers require a one year "plan" ... and I assume it could not be dropped without penalty after 3 months?
Old 08-28-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
It does seem like the Telus type providers require a one year "plan" ... and I assume it could not be dropped without penalty after 3 months?
That might only be answered in the contract terms or by an honest representative.

You're in an interesting predicament, you may be able to add data to your existing plan and add your iPad and maybe able to drop the data after 3 months. I know you can move up in plans without issue but there's a "cool down" period before you can move down in plans.

Oddly enough flip phones can access the internet and send/receive email.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:51 PM

Thanks to all. Looks like a trip to a Telus Mobility store is in my future.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Thanks to all. Looks like a trip to a Telus Mobility store is in my future.
If you've been with Telus for some time call and talk to the loyalty department, you may get a better deal.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
If you've been with Telus for some time call and talk to the loyalty department, you may get a better deal.
Thanks...I will give them a call.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:53 AM

edited. nevermind
Old 08-29-2017, 07:50 PM

Default A Bazillion

There has to be close to a bazillion companies offering what you want.
Is your device locked?
Who is the best provider of cell service in your primary outings?
Canada is serviced primarily by Bell, Rogers and Telus. Bell and Telus share infrastructure, hence Bell in the West and Telus in the East.
Virgin, Petro Canada, Presidents Choice, etc. all have independent plans which are non binding. All these companies exist on one of the big 3's platforms (minus WIND/WHATEVERTHEYARENOW, they built infra in cities.)

Pick a 3rd party pay as you go data plan and use as you see fit. (as long as device is not locked to a provider and you have the sims to do so).

I believe this is the communication age my father warned me about.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:47 PM

Apparently none of the cellular ipads are locked.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:55 PM

Stopped at Telus, Bell, and Rogers today... bottom line in terms of best bang for is Rogers ...who does not charge for the SIM card (although I think there is a $25 "activation" charge), then $5/MO for 10MB and up to $40/MO for 5GB. So, basically I would be paying $5/MO for carrying the plan for the 8 month I would not use it and $40 for 5 GB each month for use when camping.
So now, I need to check out Rogers coverage area. The "agent" figured that should not be an issue because they include "extended coverage" through the Telus system for no extra charge.
Anybody using Rogers? Comments
Old 08-31-2017, 09:28 PM

We have a Telus hub in our home so we just take it with us when we are camping and use our home plan