Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2017, 10:09 PM

Default Which Etech

Looking at a 2017 summit sp. One has the 800 etech the other has the 850. Anyone have experience with the new 850s? I know the 800s are proving to be a real decent machine. I probably don't need the 850, or 800 for that matter but it is what the dealer has in stock.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:09 AM

I have owned skidoo for the last ten years, currently own a 2015 800 162sp I can't say enough about it's dependability. I am a hard rider and the only issue I had was hitting a rock and bending a lower a arm which is to be expected. No matter how cold or how long it has sat, one or two pulls and it fires right up. I have rode the new 850 for a full day and it is no doubt a great machine. They are having issues with clutching and belt blowing among other things related to a first year New design. Unless you are a very hard rider the 800 will do everything the 850 will with the history of a reliable platform.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:46 AM

850 has there issues. But that being said the wonderful internet made it seam like a big deal. But there's thousands of machines out there that run flawlessly. You can't go wrong with either one. I had a 2014 800 etec and it was awesome. You can probably get really good deals on either one. So pick the sled you like best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2017, 10:09 AM

My friend bought the new 850 last year. No issues. His dad rides the 800. He says when he rides his and then jumps on the 800, he can't really tell the difference. My opinion is the new sleds theses days are all about defining your limits. Most mountain sleds will take you well past your chicken out point.

I ride a 2012 etec 800. Tons of sled at my thumb. The new ones are that much more. Go 850 if your a dedicated mountain guy
Old 08-21-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbones4 View Post
I have owned skidoo for the last ten years, currently own a 2015 800 162sp I can't say enough about it's dependability. I am a hard rider and the only issue I had was hitting a rock and bending a lower a arm which is to be expected. No matter how cold or how long it has sat, one or two pulls and it fires right up. I have rode the new 850 for a full day and it is no doubt a great machine. They are having issues with clutching and belt blowing among other things related to a first year New design. Unless you are a very hard rider the 800 will do everything the 850 will with the history of a reliable platform.
The one sled I've been looking at is a rental return. The only reason I'm looking at a rental return is because BRP wanted to know how their 850s were holding up so they contact this dealer and had them send the engines in from the rental sleds. In return BRP sent new crate engines to the dealer for them to install. The dealer has also done all the clutching and bulkhead upgrades, and included a new track. Pretty much 8500$ for a sled with some miles on it, but a new engine just because.

The other sled is a brand new 850 holdover. I'd prefer that one because its a 153 track instead of the 165.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:06 AM

I would go with the new one, no one has messed around with it.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:50 AM

Well the 800 sold but now they have a new 600. So I'm in the same boat. Pay 1000$ less for an 600 xm 154 track or 1000$ more for an 850 154 gen 4. On the other hand a dealer near by has a 17 Summit X 800 hold over but I don't think I need a 174" track. Does anyone here ride with such a long track? Dealer was saying it's fairly forgiving and has over 6' of track in the ground. That's mind boggling as I remember the first 144 I saw. That thing was huge! The summit X is only about 200$ more then the 850. Augh to many decisions.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:54 AM

My friend had a 174, loved it in the mountains. Said it turned on a dime. I never got to ride it on the cut lines here but from what i hear, their not to bad to whip around.

600 = wanting more at your thumb. 850....never have that feeling lol.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:40 PM

In this day and age why does ski doo still have clutching issues? If it were my money i would be buying a cat.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
In this day and age why does ski doo still have clutching issues? If it were my money i would be buying a cat.
Because Cat never has any problems with a first year design?? I'd prefer an M8000 but where I'm at and for ease of dealer access etc.. I'm limiting myself to Skidoo.