Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-02-2017, 10:39 AM

Default Fishing in Manzanillo

Good day all. Will be heading down to Manzanillo Mexico for a little R n R and wondering how the fishing is there this time of year. Can anybody recommend a fishing guide or a place you can fish for shore? Will be taking light tackle for local fishing, but would like to hire a charter for the big guys.
Thanks and have a good day.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:10 PM

Cant recommend a charter, but can say be careful who you go with, as a lot of them don't want to catch any fish, just make the money for the charter ( and yes I speak from experience) try going down to the marina and talking to some of the captains, you will get a feel for their fishing passion then see how much to take you out. It usually works out to less than what you would pay by booking through the hotel, and you will probably get a better fishing day out of it, just remember to bring your own drinks and such for the boat. This time of year can be good for sailfishing, but you should run a staggered spread, not just 8 hoochies like mine did lol. There are other fish to be had, and running top water only, just limits your chances.

Hope you have a good time there, I Absolutely love Manzanillo, it is much less touristy than some of the areas of Mexico.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:25 PM

Default Better places to fish

This time of year striped marlin and smaller sailfish are common. Not one of the best places in Mexico to fish for bills but mahi mahi, wahoo are plentiful.
This is what I do when chartering a boat for me and or my party. Get down to the marina, pick a nice boat, then offer them the going rate and tell them that as soon as you get your marlin etc they can bring you back. Did this last trip in Acupulco at 11:00 am offered 300 US for 2 people, 2 striped marlin over 140lbs each back to the marina at 12:55 pm. Told them I wasn't interested in banging around in a boat in the hot sun for hours, just get the fish. Works every time.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:39 AM

Thanks guys for the replies. Will check out the marina to see who is catching and who isn't. Might have to try your approach rmatei. What is the going rate to hire a charter per person? Have not being on one in a few years.
Thanks again and have a good day.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:00 AM

In the manzanillo area I have stayed at a resort right on the marina in Barra de Navidad, chartered boats a total of 4 days with three different people. Erlite of the Lady Ambar, and Konan of the Clipperton were both great, knew the water and got me on fish. Cost for the boat was 3500 pesos for a 7 hour day at the beginning of January which worked out to about $250CAN. Can't say who or how much it would cost in Manzanillo but I talked to a few guys that came to Barra from the city, so maybe it's worthwhile.