Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-02-2017, 08:49 PM

Here's my old man logic.... forget the hand and power augers and go back to using an ice chisel. They don't break down, don't need gas and only need sharpening once every other year and only cost 50 bucks. You get a little exercise and build up an appetite for fish. Takes about 5 minutes to go through 2 feet of ice and you can make wide angle hole any size for good viewing. I have been using a chisel for 30+ years of ice fishing.

This was my last chisel that another AO member bought and he tells me he enjoys using it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ice chisel.jpg (58.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg ice chisel 2.jpg (7.1 KB, 54 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-02-2017, 08:53 PM

Love my eskimo propane so far ....used for 3 days so far and maybe used 1/2 a bottle.
Ion?? I too question the life of the batteries. Dead/run down batteries freezing ( you are using them in freezing conditions) is not conducive for a long life.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Here's my old man logic.... forget the hand and power augers and go back to using an ice chisel. They don't break down, don't need gas and only need sharpening once every other year and only cost 50 bucks. You get a little exercise and build up an appetite for fish. Takes about 5 minutes to go through 2 feet of ice and you can make wide angle hole any size for good viewing. I have been using a chisel for 30+ years of ice fishing.

This was my last chisel that another AO member bought and he tells me he enjoys using it.
40 holes, 200 minutes aka ~3.5 hours.

No thanks, I will stick to my power auger lol.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:56 PM

I am not a fan of my 8" eskimo stingray auger. The pull start broke before I even had the auger on the lake and I was not abusing it at all. I find the plastic components to be cheap and extremely brittle when its cold outside. Both the throttle and clutch lever have snapped off the auger. The latest failure was the bolt holding the flight onto the motor snapped off when I got to the bottom of a hole and down to the bottom of the lake it went....That was a $220 replacement.

The only upside to this auger is the motor runs flawlessly and starts with one pull 95% of the time.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
40 holes, 200 minutes aka ~3.5 hours.

No thanks, I will stick to my power auger lol.
You only need one hole to catch fish. And a second hole for a tip up.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-02-2017, 10:43 PM

Wow I didn't expect so much feedback, thank you all! I am now considering a strike master aswell, they appear to be pretty solid, and you can't beat Honda engines!!!
Old 02-02-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
Wow I didn't expect so much feedback, thank you all! I am now considering a strike master aswell, they appear to be pretty solid, and you can't beat Honda engines!!!
I agree, great information here. My strikemaster lazer mag express 8" is close to 18 years old and starts on the first pull. The thing is fast and hasn't quit on me yet even though I tend to punch quite a few holes. I'm having a hard time letting it go but its getting more and more difficult to get new blades. For myself its a tossup I really am unsure what to get next.. hopefully something stands out by next season.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I prefer an 8 inch hole 99% of the time. I only want a 10 inch if going for 20 lb pike/lakers. Sight fishing they are kind of nice too but if I really want I just drill 2-4 holes together with my 8 inch and that solves that.

I don't like the 10 inch augers for normal use because they are so much heavier, slower tougher drilling and too easy to drop things into or accidentally step into.
8" to 10" upgrade increased the weight by maybe 1/2 a lb at most. Same head with my upgrade so speed did not slow down. Just made it a little harder to hold on to it.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcon View Post
I agree, great information here. My strikemaster lazer mag express 8" is close to 18 years old and starts on the first pull. The thing is fast and hasn't quit on me yet even though I tend to punch quite a few holes. I'm having a hard time letting it go but its getting more and more difficult to get new blades. For myself its a tossup I really am unsure what to get next.. hopefully something stands out by next season.
Did they have a different blade style on the older strikemaster? You can get blades online at cabelas and I know Sylvester sports here in bonnyville carries them. If they switched on you you could always just buy a different flight as long as they didn't switch shady diameters as well.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
Hahaha that's like walking into a muscle car show and asking which is better Chevy ford or Mopar.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:14 AM
Banned

Default So far .

This Ion might be my 8 th auger ....

So far , so gooooood !
Old 02-03-2017, 08:28 AM
Banned

https://youtu.be/GIw9HhBqRUw

Strikemaster vs ion.

This is what clinched it for me.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:03 PM

If you're going gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
X2 on the Strikemaster. My 10" Solo with the dual blades starts easy, has loads of power and cuts like a machine. As already stated, I run premium with Seafoam and use new fuel every season.......
My last auger was an 8" LazerMag Express, with the 2.5 hp Solo motor. Relatively light, unstoppable power and zero problems. Drilled many a hole with it, great machine. Only reason I sold it was I got a killer deal on a brand new 4 stroke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook01 View Post
Just got a strike master honda lite. Starts first pull. Has lots of torque and cuts like a bugger and is much quieter, lighter and better on fuel the old jiffy 2hp auger I had and no mixing gas required either. Only a 2 year warranty on the engine though.
Had one of these since the beginning of last season and agree with everything you said. Not quite as fast as a 2 stroke but sips fuel and lighter. Can't go wrong with Honda power.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:25 PM

I sold my Eskimo Z71 which would rip down a hole so fast you had to hold on for dear life. Amazing power and cut like a dream. Heavy and lots of torque - of you are a small guy or have a bad back - might be too much IMO.

The only downside in my mind was gas/oil smell and spills.

I went to a Eskimo propane. Way lighter, cuts a little slower but still faster than most. One pull and she fires up - never temperamental - no oil/gas to spill or stink.

The 1lb bottle, in my mind, is just like taking care of a battery, no different really, if it's under minus 20, keep a spare in the tent or in the truck. Difference is I don't worry about how much juice (battery) I have left.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:20 PM
Banned

You don't have to worry about how much juice you have left unless you are walking onto the ice and cutting slightly more than 1000 inches of ice. You haul an extra tank I bring a charger. Not much different. Haven't had to charge it yet on the ice. I drilled around 30-40 holes today.

Really don't get why guys slag on a battery running out of juice. Guys with gas augers bring jerry cans. Guys with propane bring extra tanks. Guys with electric bring a charger. Pretty simple.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Did they have a different blade style on the older strikemaster? You can get blades online at cabelas and I know Sylvester sports here in bonnyville carries them. If they switched on you you could always just buy a different flight as long as they didn't switch shady diameters as well.
Thanks for the info, I'll give them a call. Great idea about the flight!
Old 02-04-2017, 12:32 AM

X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
You don't have to worry about how much juice you have left unless you are walking onto the ice and cutting slightly more than 1000 inches of ice. You haul an extra tank I bring a charger. Not much different. Haven't had to charge it yet on the ice. I drilled around 30-40 holes today.

Really don't get why guys slag on a battery running out of juice. Guys with gas augers bring jerry cans. Guys with propane bring extra tanks. Guys with electric bring a charger. Pretty simple.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:08 AM

I grabbed the 51 cc 10" blade Eskimo, I figure that with a 5 yrs warranty I can't go wrong, even if it craps out at the end! Thanks for all the feedback it is always appreciated!