Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-08-2017, 12:21 PM

Default Ice Tent Heater Modifications

I just removed the annoying "bump" switch from my sunflower style propane heater as its more annoying than anything. Do others do this as well? Does anyone bypass the thermocouple as well?
Old 01-08-2017, 03:06 PM

Did that years ago . Works great .
Old 01-09-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I just removed the annoying "bump" switch from my sunflower style propane heater as its more annoying than anything. Do others do this as well? Does anyone bypass the thermocouple as well?
Thermocouple's are a safety feature. Good way to kill yourself...

The bump switches are less important but again why remove a safety feature which could cause a serious issue if you knocked your sunflower over... The bump switches aren't that sensitive(at least not on the 4 units I have used) so unless you got a lemon of a switch I would leave it in, and if you did get a lemon I would take it apart and try to fix it or replace it.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you have annoying friends who never return your stuff the "natural selection" you described suits them just fine.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Thermocouple's are a safety feature. Good way to kill yourself...

The bump switches are less important but again why remove a safety feature which could cause a serious issue if you knocked your sunflower over... The bump switches aren't that sensitive(at least not on the 4 units I have used) so unless you got a lemon of a switch I would leave it in, and if you did get a lemon I would take it apart and try to fix it or replace it.
Meh. I have a couple bbq's, tiger torches, propane plumbing torch, coleman stove, lantern......all without bump switches or thermocouples. Made er alive so far. Those things are just life preservers for the gene pool.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:58 PM

WOW!

How is the valve staying open if you pulled the thermocouple....second though never mind I don't want to know.
As my A gas instructor drilled into our heads "Just remember, it a world of lawyers."
Old 01-09-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Those things are just life preservers for the gene pool.
Good knowing you lol
Old 01-09-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil69 View Post
WOW!

How is the valve staying open if you pulled the thermocouple....second though never mind I don't want to know.
As my A gas instructor drilled into our heads "Just remember, it a world of lawyers."
Havent pulled the thermocouple yet, if it becomes a pain, a hoseclamp pulling in the over ride will fix it.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Good knowing you lol
So young..so scared of the common sense world. If my propane "anything" was spewing gas and not lit I would stop it. That is all this prevents.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
So young..so scared of the common sense world. If my propane "anything" was spewing gas and not lit I would stop it. That is all this prevents.
The common sense world that says if your heater works fine why screw with it? The common sense world that says these safety devices were put onto these heaters after incidents raised concerns for not having said safety features?

You are proving you are the only one here lacking common sense... It is stupid to tamper with these heaters as there is nothing to be gained and you could seriously hurt yourself or someone else by tampering with them. What are you going to do when a kid bumps your heater over and it spews burning propane all over him, the tent or yourself? What are you going to do if say you are sleeping in your tent doing an overnighter and for some reason the flame goes out filling the tent with propane poisoning you or your fishing buddy?

You asked for advice and we gave it to you. Go ahead and try to win a darwin award, no one is stopping you...
Old 01-10-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
The common sense world that says if your heater works fine why screw with it? The common sense world that says these safety devices were put onto these heaters after incidents raised concerns for not having said safety features?

You are proving you are the only one here lacking common sense... It is stupid to tamper with these heaters as there is nothing to be gained and you could seriously hurt yourself or someone else by tampering with them. What are you going to do when a kid bumps your heater over and it spews burning propane all over him, the tent or yourself? What are you going to do if say you are sleeping in your tent doing an overnighter and for some reason the flame goes out filling the tent with propane poisoning you or your fishing buddy?

You asked for advice and we gave it to you. Go ahead and try to win a darwin award, no one is stopping you...
The one I am modifying is one of the Sunflower style that sit on a 20lb bottle. I figure if you went to sleep with one of these running you would not have to worry about a propane leak as much as the CO2 or CO that would be produced from combustion. As per it spewing flame when on it side, I will see if that happens with a full bottle in the next couple of days and report back. These heaters have been sold for decades without the nannys on them. They want to make the idiot proof. The actual result is a lack of common sense when using stuff like this because people become depended in the engineered safeties. When I took apart the bump switch, I Googled thee serial number of the actual switch inside. It was made in China and I can order it for $0.20. You are relying on a switch that a company can make for 20cents and still be profitable. You can rely on these lawyer appeasing safety items and I will use my common sense and judgment. Like I said earlier I will report back with what happens when it gets knocked over.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:47 PM

So I put a new full bottle of propane on my sunflower heater. To test the validity of the bump switch I took it outside, lit it and tipped it on its side. Absolutely nothing happened.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
So I put a new full bottle of propane on my sunflower heater. To test the validity of the bump switch I took it outside, lit it and tipped it on its side. Absolutely nothing happened.
Problem is EXACTLY that. Gets bumped over inside the tent, keeps running and lights the tent or whatever else it lands on, on fire. If you fish with kids, dogs, women or clutzy partners that heater is going to get bumped. Relighting is easier than treating burns.

Years ago cars didn't have TPS, skid control or ABS brakes. Doesn't mean they were better than what we have now. Technology and learning has improved a whole raft of things.That said, no law against getting rid of the switch so have at it.