Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-24-2015, 08:59 AM

Question i need help with a bow

so my daughter wants to buy a compound bow and we were having a debate if there is a minimum draw weight for youths in alberta . is there a minimum draw weight for a youth of the age 13 and if there is what is it
Old 03-24-2015, 09:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear archery View Post
so my daughter wants to buy a compound bow and we were having a debate if there is a minimum draw weight for youths in alberta . is there a minimum draw weight for a youth of the age 13 and if there is what is it
Minimum draw weight for hunting or target?

I'm not sure about competitive target shooting, but I know there is a 40lb minimum to hunt in Alberta no matter how old you are.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:48 AM

X2 on Mininum weight for a bow...For Hunting..

Big Game Regs...
Persons hunting big game must use an authorized bow and an authorized arrow. An authorized bow is one that is held, drawn and released by muscular power and has a draw weight of not less than 18 kg (40 lb.). This is the number of kilograms (pounds) required to draw an arrow of 71 cm (28 in.) to its head. An authorized arrow is one that is not less than 61 cm (24 in.) in length that has a tip that bears a head that is not intentionally designed to resist being withdrawn after it has penetrated an object. Furthermore, it must either have a solid, sharp cutting head of at least 7/8 inch in width, or a head that, when the arrow impacts, opens to present sharp cutting edges at least 7/8 inch in width.

and have Applicable Licenses

Next year (2014) all new first-time hunters who have qualified for obtaining recreational hunting licences by successfully completing the Alberta Conservation and Hunter education course, will be required to provide on their WIN application form, their hunter certificate number that is issued to each course graduate, in order to be eligible to purchase a hunting licence.

to Own shoot target and small game hunting there is no restriction...

Some shoots have a Mininum but it is low poundage...

Neil
Old 03-24-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
X2 on Mininum weight for a bow...For Hunting..

Big Game Regs...
Persons hunting big game must use an authorized bow and an authorized arrow. An authorized bow is one that is held, drawn and released by [COLOR="Red"]muscular power and has a draw weight of not less than 18 kg (40 lb.). This is the number of kilograms (pounds) required to draw an arrow of 71 cm (28 in.) to its head.[/COLOR] An authorized arrow is one that is not less than 61 cm (24 in.) in length that has a tip that bears a head that is not intentionally designed to resist being withdrawn after it has penetrated an object. Furthermore, it must either have a solid, sharp cutting head of at least 7/8 inch in width, or a head that, when the arrow impacts, opens to present sharp cutting edges at least 7/8 inch in width.

and have Applicable Licenses

Next year (2014) all new first-time hunters who have qualified for obtaining recreational hunting licences by successfully completing the Alberta Conservation and Hunter education course, will be required to provide on their WIN application form, their hunter certificate number that is issued to each course graduate, in order to be eligible to purchase a hunting licence.

to Own shoot target and small game hunting there is no restriction...

Some shoots have a Mininum but it is low poundage...

Neil

Neil,

I always wondered if the 40 lbs requirement only applies if your draw is at 28 inches. What I mean is, if your draw lenght is shorter, lets say 25 inches, would the poundage need to increase in order to reach a certain KE.

Seems stupid that if a person draws 31 inches it is illegal for him to shoot a 39lbs bow, but a youth or female drawing 22 inched can legally shoot a 40 lb bow.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:24 PM

Ya its an outdated and inaccurate measurement and quite confusing...

We had a long discussion on that a while back...

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/archi.../t-225144.html

If I were to take a bow set it to 40 lb bang on 28" draw...then turn that bow down to 22" its going to be a lot less than 40 lbs

If I took that same bow set it to 40 lb bang on 28" draw then bring draw up to 31" its going to be considerably more than 40LBs

Most simply try for the 40 Lbs mininum regardless of arrow...

Neil