Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-16-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
the specs also says Eff. Let Off 80%
Then below is says Eff. Let off 304 FPS

I assumed that the latter meant it could shoot at 304 FPS.?? Thanks L-C!
Your effective let off is 80%, likely your IBO Speed (30"/350gr/70lbs) is 304fps. effective let off is not measured in fps, the unit is percentage.

LC
Old 03-16-2015, 10:39 AM

I shoot a Prime Impact and I really have no idea how fast it is what I do know is it is very accurate and handles beautifully. One day I will test the speed.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
the specs also says Eff. Let Off 80%
Then below is says Eff. Let off 304 FPS

I assumed that the latter meant it could shoot at 304 FPS.?? Thanks L-C!
304fps is with a 350gr arrow, 30" draw length, 70# draw weight, nothing on the string. Any deviation from these specs will affect arrow speed but not IBO rating because IBO rating is only measured at theses specs. Just because it says 304fps doesn't mean it will shoot any arrow at 304fps.

For a rough guideline in calculating arrow speed compared to IBO rating, use these numbers:

Draw length: 1"=10fps (above 30" add 10fps, below 30" subtract 10fps)
Draw weight: 1lb=2fps (above 70lbs add 2fps per #, below subtract 3fps)
Arrow weight: 3gr arrow weight = 1fps (above 350gr subtract 1fps per 3gr, below 350gr add 1fps per 3gr)
String weight: for every 3gr added to the string, subtract 1fps, a peep weighs about 10gr and d-loop 5ish, subtract 5fps off IBO rating.

Soooo, a bow with a 304fps IBO rating set at 29" draw, cranked up to 74lbs draw weight with a peep and loop shooting a 460gr arrow will have an arrow speed right around 260fps

-10 draw length adjustment
+8 draw weight adjustment
-5 string weight adjustment
-38 arrow weight adjustment
=259fps
Old 03-16-2015, 10:56 AM

Most dont want to know their speed of their bow...

Many get depressed when they find out...lol

when that 330 FPS bow their shooting is only doing 290..

Why?

*How fast is your bow…Take rated IBO…
IBO speeds are based on a bow with a 30" draw set at 70lbs shooting a 350gr arrow.

-For every inch of draw length you go down you will lose 10 FPS
-For every 5# draw weight you go down you will lose 10 FPS
-For every 3 grains of weight your arrow is over IBO ( 5 grains per pound) you will lose 1 FPS
-For every 3 grains of weight you add to your string you will lose 1 FPS

I really dont care abouit speed... I know fast is good ...if my new bow is faster than my last and pins tacks...and the Elk dont duck arrows I am happy

Neil
Neil
Old 03-16-2015, 11:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Most dont want to know their speed of their bow...

Many get depressed when they find out...lol

when that 330 FPS bow their shooting is only doing 290..

Why?

*How fast is your bow…Take rated IBO…
IBO speeds are based on a bow with a 30" draw set at 70lbs shooting a 350gr arrow.

-For every inch of draw length you go down you will lose 10 FPS
-For every 5# draw weight you go down you will lose 10 FPS
-For every 3 grains of weight your arrow is over IBO ( 5 grains per pound) you will lose 1 FPS
-For every 3 grains of weight you add to your string you will lose 1 FPS

I really dont care abouit speed... I know fast is good ...if my new bow is faster than my last and pins tacks...and the Elk dont duck arrows I am happy

Neil
Neil
Excellent point Neil, I wanted a faster speed bow to avoid the ducking aspect and for it's weight at 3.8 lbs. even the new ones don't get lighter! Got off the phone with Darton a few minutes ago and he said what L-C and Kurt posted!

Basically I take about 50 practice shots a year then go hunting, so although this bow is 8 years old it has only had approximately 400 shots taken with it.

The gentleman from Darton said that the bow has a full replacement warranty on the limbs for 10 years if they crack. He also said that I should expect to get the 300 FPS mark if it is tuned correctly.

What I want is this bow shooting to it's true potential with a killer shaft, broad head combo. As mentioned I am tossing my Bemans, hate them!

Therefore what I would like, is that I can bring it down to your shop this summer, replace the string with the Worlds Best String and have my bow tuned properly and to set me up with the proper arrows that will give me the speed I expect to see.

Could you do that? Thanks Neil I look forward to meeting you.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:49 AM

You most likely do not want to hunt at 300fps with your current bow, it would put you a bit light on the arrow/momentum scale. Since is it s 304fps IBO bow. I personally wouldn't hunt at 5gr/lb but that's just me.

LC
Old 03-16-2015, 11:55 AM

Yup edmhunter ...guareenteed to get spec..will do a "super tune" ..will get you in the right arrows also...As Lefty mentioned

I got the moose burger and BBQ just bring your secret fixings and we will make a day of it...lol

Neil
Old 03-16-2015, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
You most likely do not want to hunt at 300fps with your current bow, it would put you a bit light on the arrow/momentum scale. Since is it s 304fps IBO bow. I personally wouldn't hunt at 5gr/lb but that's just me.

LC
I am prepared to forgo the 304 FPS with a heaver Gold Tip hunting shaft and 125 grain G5 or 125 Gr. RazorTrick, and boost my speed some, I would be more then satisfied. Would that be possible do you think?

Neil, I'll bring the moose meat, with all the fixings for killer moose cheese burger and a Poutine to boot, but you have to supply the BBQ! haha
Old 03-16-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I am prepared to forgo the 304 FPS with a heaver Gold Tip hunting shaft and 125 grain G5 or 125 Gr. RazorTrick, and boost my speed some, I would be more then satisfied. Would that be possible do you think?

Neil, I'll bring the moose meat, with all the fixings for killer moose cheese burger and a Poutine to boot, but you have to supply the BBQ! haha
WAYYYY DONE!

lol
Neil
Old 03-16-2015, 01:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
WAYYYY DONE!

lol
Neil
Guess it's done and done then! lol

Let's get my gal honed up and in tip top shape and "Dressed To Kill" for the fall. Just so you know she is by far a virgin and happens to have issues with anything that walks on four legs for some strange reason By the way I call her Tenderloin.

Looking forward to meeting with you in person Neil and thank you everyone, for your kind and considered advice

Last edited by edmhunter; 03-16-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:39 PM

Default Same arrows different speed

I was shooting a Pearson Z-32 20 " draw with 28.5" GT Ultralight 400's tipped with 100grain tips (350gr total) at 74lbs and I was able to get 299fps.

I changed it up to a Hoyt CRX at 70lbs same arrows and now I'm getting 318 to 319fps. from 15-40 yards its only 2-3 inches in impact on target,( an elks heart is much bigger then that) so speed is great when you dont have the time to range an animal or forget or lose/have a rangefinder failure...LC is on the mark here...

I also had a mid 90's Darton Lightening, 30" draw (too long for me) and was shooting Carbon Express 29" 340's and was getting 289...for a long old tank that bow was way ahead of its time...and a bit loud...lol
Old 03-17-2015, 04:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpslayer View Post
I was shooting a Pearson Z-32 20 " draw with 28.5" GT Ultralight 400's tipped with 100grain tips (350gr total) at 74lbs and I was able to get 299fps.

I changed it up to a Hoyt CRX at 70lbs same arrows and now I'm getting 318 to 319fps. from 15-40 yards its only 2-3 inches in impact on target,( an elks heart is much bigger then that) so speed is great when you dont have the time to range an animal or forget or lose/have a rangefinder failure...LC is on the mark here...

I also had a mid 90's Darton Lightening, 30" draw (too long for me) and was shooting Carbon Express 29" 340's and was getting 289...for a long old tank that bow was way ahead of its time...and a bit loud...lol
All great speeds if you ask me Stumpslayer!

I will certainly do my homework on my hunting arrow/broad head combo set up to maximize every FPS out of my Vapor. Since I use one pin on my sight, the increase in speed will definitely make my shooting more accurate.

With the new bowstring I am getting and with the super tuning, I will have to readjust the tape on my sight and do way more practicing then usual, which will be a small price to pay especially if I can get close to 300 FPS.

I was shooting a Hoyt Super Slam Supreme with fingers when I bought my Vapor in 2007. The Vapor was faster then my old Hoyt SSS and a lot lighter and way more compact. At that time I paid $650.00 for it and the newer Hoyts were way more. For the money I could not be happier. Like everything else, once a company develops their brand name, they start charging you more because of their name, I do not like overpaying for anything because of the name, in fact I shop at WINNERS hahaha

I was talking to a tech at Darton yesterday and the new models they are putting out weigh 4.1 lbs., which is heavier then my Vapor at 3.8 lbs. I have to say that I have really enjoyed my Vapor for it's overall performance and I look forward to seeing her at her true potential.

Last edited by edmhunter; 03-17-2015 at 04:59 AM.