Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-01-2015, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
Sorry for causing a stir... I was a little ticked at that moment. I was trying to convey that some custom skinners don't care about the end product. ( not every skinner but some ). And the best way I have found is to meet with the skinner and have a beer and a chat and show them what you expect and then agree to a fair price. I also know if you want a job done to your liking you do it yourself. But for the guys that put up all their fur and get that top lot pin it should mean way more. I know me and I'm confident that if I got a top lot and most of my yotes are custom skinned I would definitely be rewarding my skinner.
I think there's more to the top lot coyote story then people let on.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:11 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
Nope. Just don't want to send someone to a skinner and the guy wrecks his furs. My opinion is you get what you pay for. The guys I know charge 20 to finish a whole coyote and are pros at coyotes,beaver, hell any fur bearer and do the nicest job. All went to the Mr. Wurz school at one point. Myself I started for Mr Saar doing 60 a week for 9$ a dog. From Dec to march. That's going back 18 years ago. Prices ranged from 80$ some years to 28$ top for coyotes other years. If you expect a decent job for under 15$ hive your head a shake. Is that all that coyote is worth to you. I do custom and sometimes I get into a bind and farm some out and I'm paying up to 22$ dollars. Do I have a problem with it no .
Generally from my experience, the best men charge the least and the worst charge the most. Some that are good and charge too much are greedy, but usually the best are the cheapest. That's because they can make super $$$ quick and easy even at $8 a coyote, and I believe some are doing it for that. I suspect the best guy is the guy in Sask that everybody run off from here, and he was very economical, does thousands for Patchin in SASK.

Its usually the guys that are ignorant of speed methods that want 50% and often they really dont know what they are doing.

The thing to do to beat this greed structure in the custom skinning dept is to train up kids to do the job. Once they are doing even 15 minute coyotes start to finish they are already at $32 an hour for $8 a coyote. Invest in them, give them a wage until they can get good, then reward them by paying piece work which motivates people to work fast. I know a 14 year old that is skinning in 6-7 and fleshing in 5.

But everybody does have to charge extra $$$ for the coyotes with the feces blown out of their existence, yyou know the guys that routinely blow basketball size exits thru their coyotes, if the guy didnt care to do a decent job of clean shooting his collection with decent ammo, then he likely doesnt care about anything else either including what he has to pay to get his fur to market, if you call it fur when he is done with it.

(Shooters, please dont take offense yet... I offer a solution. Shoot Federal Classic soft points at your coyotes with your 22-250 or 243, probably 223 too etc. They almost always go through but really small exits)
Old 01-01-2015, 08:37 AM

Well that top lot fellow bragged up the excellent handling of their fur. Well I gave them a try. As said I wasn't happy. So I found another fellow about my age. Good guy. So on the weekends when I dont work I'll go up and have a beer and we'll each skin one and have a bs. Like most guys a fulltime job and other commitments cut into snaring time. I have never found an activity that I enjoy and break even let alone profit. I reinvest my fur check back into trapping gear, guns, reloading equipment and butcher supplies.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:16 AM

Well Marty that fellow was boasting pretty big numbers and was being a nuisance. He would have got more work if he could have backed up some claims that seemed outrageous. You yourself have a pic of a barn with a very impressive catch. But if you came on here and almost daily were goating guys just to **** them off cause it was fun. I would expect guys to run you out.

I do agree with you the guys that want a yote for one skinned tend to be the guys that play games like the old switcheroo on a guy.
I don't mind paying for a good job. I also would agree if there is more thread then fur charge em. If a skinner wants lots of work if he dropped his prices around my area to $10 and still did an OK job he would take most of the work from everyone around. That supply and demand thing.