Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-25-2014, 02:29 PM

Default Promotion of real fur

I was out doing some Christmas shopping for my wife the other day. I spent quite a while wandering through the mall looking for just the right gift. I ended up in Sears where I found the women's winter wear section. I was pleasantly surprised to see 3/4 of the jackets had fur trimmed hoods. On closer inspection there was not one piece of real fur to be found, just ugly faux fur.

I decided then and there she was getting something made with real fur. I ended up getting her a pair of made in Canada Mukluks trimmed with rabbit fur and some sheepskin mittens. The mukluks were a big hit and hopefully will lead to some of her friends appreciating the real deal.

Did anybody else give gifts made with fur? A nice coat perhaps?

Merry Christmas! Hope everybody has a day filled with family and laughter!
Old 12-25-2014, 03:21 PM

Lol. My brother has been building slippers and mulkuks for the last 27 years. Uses real rabbit fur and some coyote trim that he buys from halfords. Long story short he's extremely busy with orders at Christmas time building them. You have on idea how ticked off some people get and the emails we get for using real fur. Even had people wear them and send them back with nasty letters about how animals are harvested and raped for their fur demanding their money back. http://http://
Old 12-25-2014, 04:23 PM

Those are very nice Coy! I'll be pm'ing you when I'm looking for another pair!
Old 12-25-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
Those are very nice Coy! I'll be pm'ing you when I'm looking for another pair!
Didn't mean to derail your thread. I have a full length bark tanned sheep skin coat my wife found in a thrift store and gave it to me for my Birthday . The warmest coat ever. Two weeks ago dad found the exact same coat again. Both made in canada.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:39 PM

I'm not worried about a derail. I'd like to own a fur coat of some description but I'm not too sure what type. I'm sure the wife will own one before I do. Sounds like I should be checking thrift stores.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:37 AM
AO Sponsor

You all need to buy yourselves a genuine Canada Goose coat, they're beautiful, thick gob of high quality coyote fur, goose down filled,. Made in Canada even... $750.

Oh wait, they have Chinese knock offs for $250. You guys better buy those.

Those are nice mukluks Coy, what does he charge for them? I'd like to get a pair with coyote for the wife, maybe for birthday. I would even supply the coyote, as a producer of the finest coyotes in the world I do have high standards!

Last edited by Marty S; 12-26-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
You all need to buy yourselves a genuine Canada Goose coat, they're beautiful, thick gob of high quality coyote fur, goose down filled,. Made in Canada even... $750.

BAMM!!! to funny!
Old 12-26-2014, 08:37 AM

Default Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
BAMM!!! to funny!
Your sharp this early marty
Old 12-26-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Those are nice mukluks Coy, what does he charge for them? I'd like to get a pair with coyote for the wife, maybe for birthday. I would even supply the coyote, as a producer of the finest coyotes in the world I do have high standards!
180$ with a thick rubber sole. That's with rabbit trim. Not what sure what price if a person supplied their own trim. I know that's a lot cheaper then every pair I have seen. These are custom built. He needs you to trace your socking foot so he can build the best fit and a thigh measurement. That's for 15 inch. Taller might be a few dollars more.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:19 AM

Coy , I think those black ones with coyote trim would look amazing ! I may need to keep a good coyote and give you a pm !
Old 12-26-2014, 10:31 AM

My sister in Edmonton still wears her sheared beaver coat and her full length silver fox coat. I am very proud of her for standing up for fur.

It baffles me why Canadians don't wear more fur. We do live in a northern climate. Superior warmth factor and beautiful.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-26-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
180$ with a thick rubber sole. That's with rabbit trim. Not what sure what price if a person supplied their own trim. I know that's a lot cheaper then every pair I have seen. These are custom built. He needs you to trace your socking foot so he can build the best fit and a thigh measurement. That's for 15 inch. Taller might be a few dollars more.
I just bought a pair of "manitobah mukluk's" as a christmas gift. They were real fur and says right on the tag's that some of the profit's go back to a elder's fund. So I assumed made in canada.. nope.. "designed in canada" "assembeled in China". And they were 230$ before tax.. rip off..
Old 12-26-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:

She's already got one Marty, and no it's not a knock-off. I doubt you could buy it back for twice the price. She loves how warm it is. I will buy one for myself when I wear out my current jacket.

I saw the Manitobah Mukluks and put them down when I saw made in China.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:27 PM

Hoods are famous for frozen breath causing moisture and ice build up in cold weather. The best fur for trim on the hood of a coat is wolverine. Wolverine fur repels moisture and doesn't frost up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inuit_clothing.jpg (33.6 KB, 51 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-26-2014, 02:22 PM

multiple fur coats in this house and another new one from a co-operative from Ft Providence ( Dene Fur Cloud)

Actually a wolverine ruff does frost up but doesn't break from the weight of the ice so you can knock off the frost off without damage.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
My sister in Edmonton still wears her sheared beaver coat and her full length silver fox coat. I am very proud of her for standing up for fur.

It baffles me why Canadians don't wear more fur. We do live in a northern climate. Superior warmth factor and beautiful.
California retardation is pretty strong and convincing.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:30 PM

Start by complimenting women wearing real fur coats!

If given the opportunity, mention that fur is all natural, renewable, sustainable, biodegradable, gluten-free, organic, not genetically modified, humanely harvested, and promotes bio-diversity, and native land claims, all while honouring Canadian culture & history.

Plus, it's warm and looks hot on any woman.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
Make sure you charge Marty 380 for them you know support the local guy.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 12-26-2014, 10:29 PM

Let's see, our family wears stuff with fur that was gifted to them including moccasins, mukluks, hats, gloves, mittens,and my wife has a very cool wool cape with a silver fox hood ( including the tail) that I gave her for a Christmas present many years ago.
Nothing like real fur!
Cat
Old 12-27-2014, 08:47 AM

Last Christmas my wife got seal skin boots,hat and gloves. She absolutely loves them.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:19 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."