Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-21-2014, 11:41 PM

Default New sled options

Hey guys I was curious to know your thoughts on a sled under $8500? I was bored today and looked around a bit. I realised a guy could buy a brand new Tundra 550F sled for $8500. Is there anything out there better than that for a trapping sled and that kind of money? All the rest were $12K or more
Old 12-22-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Hey guys I was curious to know your thoughts on a sled under $8500? I was bored today and looked around a bit. I realised a guy could buy a brand new Tundra 550F sled for $8500. Is there anything out there better than that for a trapping sled and that kind of money? All the rest were $12K or more
Go used Phil, find a Skandic SWT that's a few years old with low Km's. Should pay in that 8-9K range. I've seen them come up for sale several times, just have to wait and find one.
Twice the sled of the tundra IMO.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:50 AM

in your scandic thread. i predicted you'ld have a new sled before christmas. hurry up, time is running out.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:53 AM

There's 4 different Skandics in Hay river for sale on kijiji right now. If I bought another one right now I would prob buy the E-tec over the 4-stroke so I could have the back up pull start. From what I hear fuel miliage is pretty similar between the two.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
in your scandic thread. i predicted you'ld have a new sled before christmas. hurry up, time is running out.
^^^^^^ yep lol
Old 12-22-2014, 07:08 AM

Default 550 Tundra

Hi Nube,

I trap out by Nordegg and we bought 2- 550 Tundras 3 years ago and they have sure been good for us.
Last year we had record snow amounts as everyone had and without them, we would have not went anywhere.
We sure like them and have not had any trouble with them at all.
I'm sure there are better machines but for the money you cant beat them.

Gabby.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:06 AM

Ive been doing some research latley as well. I have read nothign but good things about the Yamaha line, especially the VK540 for trapping.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:17 AM

I picked up my skandic wt 900 ace on Friday, I absolutely love it
Old 12-22-2014, 08:25 AM

can go wrong with either sled....good luck
Old 12-22-2014, 09:05 AM

funny thing is my wife is all on board with things as well. She realises it could be dangerous with a crap sled. My problem is I don't want to spend $12-13K on one. Was surprised to see that the Tundra was so much less than the others.
What makes the Skandic so much better? Isn't is a lot heavier than the Tundra?
Old 12-22-2014, 09:28 AM

2015 Polaris voyageur 155 550f 8500.00 comes with rack,hitch and the flotation skis are nice. Just picked one up a couple weeks ago, love it so far.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:29 AM

Hey, Nube i bought a 2013 Tundra 550F, it's a great sled for trapping, very nimble and agile in the bush. Uses more fuel then the 600 Ace would but comparable to any 2 stroke.
It's my 9th sled i have owned, just up to 3000km trouble free. Original belt, plugs, everything. My favorite sled yet.

I will bump my thread from when i reviewed the Tundra.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
funny thing is my wife is all on board with things as well. She realises it could be dangerous with a crap sled. My problem is I don't want to spend $12-13K on one. Was surprised to see that the Tundra was so much less than the others.
What makes the Skandic so much better? Isn't is a lot heavier than the Tundra?
Skandic is running a 20" or 24" wide track and 12" wide skis on the front. Tundra has a 16" wide track and 6" wide skis. Skandic is heavier for sure but that added floatation is amazing. Stop and start in 6 feet of powder just like a quad does on dry ground.
I've stepped off my running board and sunk to my chest in powder, when I climbed back on the sled and took off it didn't even leave a bump on the trail from spinning to get moving.
Why try and buy another brand that's almost as good, just buy the best lol

If you want to make a run up north to grab a used one I'll come for a ride with you.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:40 AM

I have seen tundra's and skandics work side by side for the last 10 years. My conclusion is that the skandics seem to pull more heavier loads than the tundras. Clutch engagement on the skandics with the fourstroke engines is around 2200 rpm which means less track spin which equals not stuck as much. For 2 up riding and carrying loads, the wide track beats the long track hands down. For breaking trails in the deep snow the skandic also seems to be the go to machine. The 4 stroke engines are super quiet, don't stink and so far seem to be maintenance free. Granted a lot of people will say the two stroke is cheaper to fix, but over on the dootalk forum a lot of guys are over 15000 kms with no issues. My new 900 ace is the smoothest and funnest machine I have ridden. My last machine was a 600 summit, It also went everywhere, but couldn't pull any loads or carry any tools and was a hog on fuel. The best thing is to ride one of each and come to your own conclusion. I went with the 900 just due to the fact I work in the mountains, pull long steep grades and deep deep snow. A friend of the family used a 600 skandic on his line in the Yukon last year and was very impressed with what it could do. He snow checked the 900 last spring and said it is the best machine he has ever used.

Last edited by 6tmile; 12-22-2014 at 09:43 AM. Reason: spellenz and grammerz
Old 12-22-2014, 09:50 AM

My vote would be the tundra. But Ive never seen a wide track at work either. We don't have much for hills or deep snow up here so tundras fit the bill best.
Iam on my 5th winter on my "little" 300. Could use more power but does the job.
Picked up an 04 440 skandic awhile ago but havnt taken it out on the line yet.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Go used Phil, find a Skandic SWT that's a few years old with low Km's. Should pay in that 8-9K range. I've seen them come up for sale several times, just have to wait and find one.
Twice the sled of the tundra IMO.
Turbomulcher on here had two SWT's for sale a while ago, maybe check with him.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:53 PM

I've done some extensive research on sleds for the trapline and new outdoor adventure tour company, and the both the Skandic and Tundra came up winners.

The life out of a 4 stroke is worth the price difference of a 2 stroke. IMHO.

The tundra has the learning key, so you can cap the speeds, nice to have with kids learning the line, as well as tour guests.

I wish you lick, let us know if you decide.

Also, forgot to share, but we also just picked up an 8' Koenders Outback "hunters" sleigh and wow, can you load that up!

Last edited by Anzacron; 12-22-2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: forgot something..
Old 12-23-2014, 08:34 AM

I have three 550F machines, I love everything about them exempt for the fuel consumption. It makes me wonder what life would be like with a 600 ACE even possibly having to let it run all night when it is cold out.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:21 AM

I own a bear cat xt with 1100 4 stroke Last year while late season elk hunting. The reverse blew outta the machine. I ended up renting tundra 550f with a 153 track. I was very impressed with the litte bugger. Hauled 2 guys and gear while towing a cow elk about 7 miles on new trail. Things I like about it was the pull start for sure. The electric reverse was a little temperamental but it was a rental. Fuel consumption was average for a 2 stroke I thought. I don't like packing oil around either and the good stuff is pretty $$$. Dad has a scandic with the 600 ace. Great machine quite good on fuel no oil. What I really love about this machine in the manual shift. Low high neutral and reverse. Can't beat that in a bush machine in my opinion. Things I don't like are how narrow the ski stance is. Sled doesn't want to stay in track while towing. And there is no pull start on the 4 stroke. My bear cat is a great machine but has it's down falls to. It's very comfy to ride comes with passenger seat. super stable with the wider ski stance and 20" track heavy duty bumpers and hitch. Winch. Down falls no pull start and it has electric reverse and no low gear. So far no low hasn't been an issue. But the electric reverse has busted twice leaving me in the bush stuck in reverse. If this machine had a manual shift with low gear it would be the best inmo.

Matt
Old 12-23-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
I have three 550F machines, I love everything about them exempt for the fuel consumption. It makes me wonder what life would be like with a 600 ACE even possibly having to let it run all night when it is cold out.
I think your machine would over heat running it all night
Old 12-23-2014, 07:56 PM

I bought the Yamaha venture MP last year. Not a trap line machine in my opinion. Go with the VK if your looking Yamaha or the Skandic if you a SkiDoo person. Either one should do the job but don't cheap out like I did and now regret it.

TEH

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmoose View Post
I think your machine would over heat running it all night
It won't run all night. Shuts off after about 15 minutes at idle. You can get block heaters installed on them but I've never needed it. -40 and it starts up after a bit of cranking. Not a bad idea to have a eliminator booster pack with you though, just in case
Old 12-23-2014, 10:22 PM

I have three tundra 550's - My trapline country is as tough as it gets, and they measure up in every way. I have a WT Skandic and most days I'd prefer the 550 as it is more nimble.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:43 PM

polaris indy voyageur 155 track
Old 12-26-2014, 10:50 PM

buy a good used vk540. we trap in northren ab on grown up lines and the vk is a tough machine. got one that just turned 20,000 and still wont die
Old 12-27-2014, 06:43 AM
AO Sponsor

What is the Skidoo Expedition like? Just a little bit more money than the Tundra, like $1000 more, but does have the full seat. Is it basically the same machine as a Tundra? I think they are about $9500 for the cheapest model.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:11 AM

Right now on kijiji Edmonton are 2 brand new 2011 vk 540 for 10k. You wouldn't be disappointed

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 12-27-2014, 10:09 AM

Default Skidoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
What is the Skidoo Expedition like? Just a little bit more money than the Tundra, like $1000 more, but does have the full seat. Is it basically the same machine as a Tundra? I think they are about $9500 for the cheapest model.

Check front suspension differences. A arm/ wishbone vs hydraulic shock on tundra, better for bush wracking as there is a lot less to get hung up with!
Old 12-27-2014, 10:50 AM

The a arm suspension on the expidition would get busted right away in the bush, especially on tight trails
Old 12-27-2014, 09:15 PM

Default New sled options

I did a comparison of the Expedition Sport vs Skandick WT vs Tundra LT today in a trapline. All were 2011 or newer with the XP and XU chassis. The Expedition has a WAY nicer ride than the pogos but if you have narrow trails or break a lot of new trails its not a good machine as its wider and the A arms can catch stumps. The Tundra is very nimble and the pogo front end can be driven through/over or under just about anything. The Skandic WT is a big heavy machine with a very different feel. More like a tractor that can pull huge loads especially with its low range. It is however not nimble at all and the ride was definantly not as smooth. I wouldn't get the WT unless I had a lot of heavy hauling to do. If my trapline had good established trails it would definantly be the Expedition but if not, it would be a Tundra.

I also got a good feel for 600 ACE vs 550f. The ace has a lot more response right of the bottom but the mid range isn't quite there. In a race, they were exactly tie the whole way. I love the quietness of the ace. The only thing I would be scared of is the fact it has no manual starting system in case the battery dies. Right now I have the 550f but my next one will probably be an Ace.

Any of these new machines with the "rider forward" design is light years ahead of the older style machines. An all day ride hardly ruffles the feathers where the old "sit flat on your but machines" make the trail feel twice as long as it is.

Last edited by mxz1997; 12-27-2014 at 09:21 PM.