Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-30-2012, 08:57 AM
Banned

Default starting loads for 45-70 pedersoli sharps

As I previously mentioned in another post, I'm well on my way to purchasing a pedersoli sharps boss 45-70 rifle. Now I need to put together loads for this cartirdge. What do you sharps shooters use? I've also ordered a 405 gn bullet mould.
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks gents.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:26 AM

Do you intend to be shooting smokeless or black powder wit it?
Cat
Old 09-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Banned

Hi Cat,
I've read that shooting smokeless will aid in barrel erosion whereas black powder and their substitues won't, as long as you shoot lead and not jacketed bullets down the pipe. I'm thinking about pyrodex or black pushing a lead 405 gn pill.
What granulation should I be using? I have triple 7 FFFG at home for my hawken .50, can I use that?
Old 09-30-2012, 01:27 PM

FFG is the stuff I use!
I strongly suggest you get to Wholesale Sports and buy Paul mathews' book on BCR loading.
The powder charge is only one part of the equation of an accurate load, but if you get the mix on your lead correct ( normally about 20:1 lead to tin)
and your bullet lube/base wad correct, you can achive some incredible shooting with the black powder cartridges!
I compress 68 grains of FFG in my gun and use a beeswax base wad with a modified Mathrews lube.

With this combination in Blackman's H&R Buffalo Classic, were able to shoot sub MOA groups at 100, and 200 meters.
Oh, get an "M" die for your finishing die as well as your decapping and and seating dies. Oh, and a MILD primer not a magnum or hot standard - BP loads work better with them.
Cat
Old 10-01-2012, 07:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
FFG is the stuff I use!
I strongly suggest you get to Wholesale Sports and buy Paul mathews' book on BCR loading.
The powder charge is only one part of the equation of an accurate load, but if you get the mix on your lead correct ( normally about 20:1 lead to tin)
and your bullet lube/base wad correct, you can achive some incredible shooting with the black powder cartridges!
I compress 68 grains of FFG in my gun and use a beeswax base wad with a modified Mathrews lube.

With this combination in Blackman's H&R Buffalo Classic, were able to shoot sub MOA groups at 100, and 200 meters.
Oh, get an "M" die for your finishing die as well as your decapping and and seating dies. Oh, and a MILD primer not a magnum or hot standard - BP loads work better with them.
Cat
Thanks Cat, I'm already on my way to wholesale sports to find that book. Failing that, I was able to find a Black powder website and locate an ISBN number for Paul matthiews books and will place an order at Chapters if wholesale dont have that book in stock.
Cheers,
Trooper
Old 10-02-2012, 09:25 PM

Look to buffalo arms for books as described...
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3758
Not too expensve either.

In addition to Paul Matthews books I recomend...

Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West

Black Powder Cartridge Reloading Primer

Trooper (or anyone) if interested in BPCR shooting you can contact me.
I have been to 5 shoots this year.
Most fun never had shooting a gun at a target...
Nicest people I have ever met in shooting sports.

Consider shooting and hitting a ram target, smaller than a trash can lid, at 500 meters, with an 1870's style gun, using black powder and bullet you cast yourself...
Old 10-03-2012, 02:41 PM

Caroline sporting goods handles goex cartridge grade powder build and designed specifically for your black powder cartridge rifle, or fg or ffg don't use any more F,s then that, if you can get it 1 1/2 Swiss is also designed for the 45-70 45-90 -45-110 , Doug and Becky Middleton in senlac SK HILL FOLKS black powder supplies handle Swiss powder, a good staring load will be 62 grns of Fg or FFg or cartridge grade should give a velocity of about 1246 fps remember to compress yer powder between 1/4 1/8 1/16th percent of yer load, something to play with see what works best