Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-27-2012, 02:56 PM

Default Consigning Guns?

I have a pistol that I hate. And, I mean hate. #1 son doesn't like it, either. It just doesn't work for either of us, and I'd like to replace it with something else.

Being that I hate it as much as I do . . . I can't bring myself to actually sell it to anyone. It is perfectly serviceable, and has around 900 rounds through it. I just can't play the saleswoman with this one. If I was asked why I was selling it, I'd have to say "Because I hate the POS." Obviously, that isn't a great sales tactic.

I have spoken to one place in town (Proline) about consigning it. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using them to sell a gun, or if there are other options?

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
I have a pistol that I hate. And, I mean hate. #1 son doesn't like it, either. It just doesn't work for either of us, and I'd like to replace it with something else.

Being that I hate it as much as I do . . . I can't bring myself to actually sell it to anyone. It is perfectly serviceable, and has around 900 rounds through it. I just can't play the saleswoman with this one. If I was asked why I was selling it, I'd have to say "Because I hate the POS." Obviously, that isn't a great sales tactic.

I have spoken to one place in town (Proline) about consigning it. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using them to sell a gun, or if there are other options?
Even if you say you hate, you will still get a better price than consigning it. Some places charge in the 25%-30% range.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
Even if you say you hate, you will still get a better price than consigning it. Some places charge in the 25%-30% range.
I was told 25% @ Proline. If the gun, the extra mags, and the laser sight were all purchased by the same person (I imagine it would be sold as a set), then I could probably purchase what I want to replace it with.

I figure the 25% could be chalked up to a "lesson learned" and "idiot tax:" for buying a gun without trying one first.

It doesn't fit my hand nicely. And, it just isn't comfortable for #1 son to use either . . . something about the way he holds it has the casings ejecting directly into the middle of his forehead. It is brutally difficult to take apart to clean properly, too.

It is just a 22lr pistol, and both #1 son and I love my Buckmark. Both of us can shoot it very well. I'd much rather have another one of those, instead.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:29 PM

just list it in the buy/sell on the forum. sounds like you don't like it. chances are, someone else will. it's not as if it's broken or unsafe, put fair used market value on it and let someone else have.
as my old used car salesman buddy used to say, 'there's an azz for every seat'
lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:36 PM

I'll mull it over, Lee. Maybe I'll pull it out of the safe this weekend and get some photos of it up.

There are people out there who really like them: there are a lot of really good reviews on them out there. They were discontinued a couple of years ago, and they're very hard to turn up in Canada. They are a little more abundant in the US. The last time this one was shot (just under a year ago), the gents at the Calgary Shooting Centre had a look over it. Their determination was that the gun wasn't the problem: we were.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:38 PM

Instead of giving up 25% in commission, list the gun here and on the Canadiangunnutz EE. If the price is reasonable, it should sell pretty quick.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:26 AM

Dare I ask what flavor this gun is?
Old 09-28-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
Dare I ask what flavor this gun is?
It is a Walther. But, I'd rather not say which one in this thread: since I'm looking for advice and not trying to drum up a sale.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
It is a Walther. But, I'd rather not say which one in this thread: since I'm looking for advice and not trying to drum up a sale.
As soon as you mention a gun there will be people who want to buy it no matter what. Just say you like the buckmarks better and sell it for a good price. The next guy might love it better than his buckmark.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 09-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Banned

Gotta love your flavor of honesty Shelley "I hate the POS".....priceless. Good luck selling it, you should do well. You can also go to the buy/sell section on this forum and you'll see the banner add for Auction Depot. They run a gun auction, the last one had some real strong prices. Give Cory a call, heck of a nice guy.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:36 PM

Shelley, I've consigned several guns (including handguns) at Proline. I believe they charged 20%, which is fair. I'd rather pay 20% than have strangers coming around my house, especially when selling handguns.

Chuck,Gerry and at Proline know their stuff and will move your Walther in short order.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:47 AM

Just something worth mentioning. It happens seldom but when I lived in BC I had several pistols consigned to a sporting goods. Got the run around for months about whether they would sell, finally went down there to collect them and was told they where out being tested on the range for a sale. A week later I found out that the store went under, I lost them all. Thousands in firearms. Even though they had not sold they where considered capital as I had signed them over for consignment.

Something to consider. Sell them privately.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 09-29-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Just something worth mentioning. It happens seldom but when I lived in BC I had several pistols consigned to a sporting goods. Got the run around for months about whether they would sell, finally went down there to collect them and was told they where out being tested on the range for a sale. A week later I found out that the store went under, I lost them all. Thousands in firearms. Even though they had not sold they where considered capital as I had signed them over for consignment.
I almost had the same thing happen to me when a local store went under, several years ago. Luckily, the owner was a good person, and called me to come and get my guns, when he realized that he was going to lose the business.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Gotta love your flavor of honesty Shelley "I hate the POS".....priceless. Good luck selling it, you should do well. You can also go to the buy/sell section on this forum and you'll see the banner add for Auction Depot. They run a gun auction, the last one had some real strong prices. Give Cory a call, heck of a nice guy.
Thanks, Yvan. A co-worker and I were just browsing the Auction Depot website at your recommendation. It is something for both of us to check out, as he wants to sell half of his guns this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
Shelley, I've consigned several guns (including handguns) at Proline. I believe they charged 20%, which is fair. I'd rather pay 20% than have strangers coming around my house, especially when selling handguns.

Chuck,Gerry and at Proline know their stuff and will move your Walther in short order.
Good to know that your experience has been positive. That is a very good point about having strangers in and around the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post

Something to consider. Sell them privately.
That is a great point. This isn't a big ticket item (I wouldn't even see $500 for it), so I'm not hugely concerned. While the loss would certainly be disappointing, it wouldn't be devastating.

When I get a moment I am going to put it up here. I'll test these waters first. If I could get a straight across trade for what I really want then I'd be very pleased.