Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 07:49 PM

This is a great thread. This topic has been on my mind for the last 5 months since we found out the wife is pregnant. She's extremely supportive and encourages me to get out a lot as it is. She normally hunts with me, though this year the pregnancy is keeping her home more. It'll be interesting to see how much things will change next year lol
Old 09-19-2017, 08:02 PM

Make sure your wife is getting her full day trips to the spa or what ever floats her boat before you go away and get your time in the family bank too.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:57 AM

Default Compromise.

Diamond ring, trip to Maui after the season.
or
You can take up waterfowl and upland birds as it only requires half days. Go big game hunting also, just not as hardcore. It's a good time to build up your priorities for all your draws.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:29 AM

Adapting hunting time and results is key for me. When my girls were younger I would take them along but change my trips to short evenings or mornings. My wife would come along a few times too and we made them fun trips.

Now that they are older I can get away with them or without them easier but I find myself skipping hunting to take part in their activities. You can't go back in time and it's time well spent in the outdoors or in a rink or at a dance festival.

I don't need to hunt all the time but I need to be there for them. They grow real fast.

Enjoy the time!

S
Old 09-20-2017, 06:36 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

I did short hunts, morning and evening, a few hours here and there so that you are around to parent too...all part of being a dad first.

Once the wee ones got older they came with me because they wanted to be part of everything

Wife even got involved too hunting not so much but she will bounce around in a boat all day

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-20-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
x2 Live in the season of now, not yesterday. I have two young boys as well, I hunt closer to home, and less frequently. However I know that soon enough they'll be older and the hills will still be there. I'm learning to be patient.

Man this is a great post. I read it a few times and it is worded perfectly.

I take a hunting trip when I can and insist the wife goes on ski trips or girl cabin getaways wherever she can. I go, she goes. I cannot stop hunting, and she cannot stop making cupcakes for bake sales and planning weddings etc.
Find the balance.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:48 AM

Take the wife and kids out bird hunting. Cruz the back roads if you see a deer take it if you don't well you spent a good day with the wife and kids. Take a bbq and make a lunch. Enjoy the little time you have and ask for one or w days a season for you to go out and hunt hard. Eventually you will be able to go out for a week at a time. It all takes time.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:29 AM

I started putting in for rifle draws 6+ years ago knowing that kids were on the way and my bow hunting time would start to diminish. I should have some quality hunts by the time my kids are old enough to tag along. I'm not a bird hunter but I also plan on getting into it as an introduction to hunting for the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2017, 09:04 AM

Out of my experience it depends on how your wife understands and supports your hobby.
I was lucky and with 2 little ones some years ago could always plan couple of week trips and a day or half day hunt was not a problem at all.
Now oldest one is hunting with me ( when he has time ), and 12 years old daughter is asking me to pay for wild life education course as she thinks she wants to hunt too.
Have two buddies who were in the same situation as me and almost dropped hunting because their wifes were finding more "important " things to do when we were going in a bushes.
Good luck!
Old 09-20-2017, 10:32 AM

Hunt as much as you feel comfortable with ,if you deny yourself the time now and your wife is pushing you for more time home and less in the bush you will resent her and you will regret the time you lost for yourself .
Yes family comes first but after you have taken care of your needs to provide for your family and had time to enjoy the hunt . leave young kids at home and the wife unless she is toting a weapon as well .
you can start with the kids into hunting when they have achieved the ability to understand the need to sit still and patiently wait which is over the age of 8 for most .But that is my opinion and experience ,. If you do it too young they will not enjoy it and eventually not want to do it at all .
Old 09-20-2017, 10:51 AM

By and far this is the most genuinely important thread going on AO right now. Reading some of the posts it is evident there will be a long standing hunting tradition in AB for years to come.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:30 AM

This is a great topic and one that I think all of us have wrestled with over the years. As many have said, it is all about balance. There are seasons in life that are over too fast, and some that can't be over fast enough. You sometimes don't know the difference until you look back in retrospect.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors