Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-09-2017, 05:18 PM

Default Another faux pas!

So I went out the other day to check dots in the scope. I start at 400 yds with a known 100 yd benchmark and would almost guarantee I'm within an 8" circle at that distance. I'm not. I'm low. I bring it up knowing what I'm doing at mid range and don't like it one bit. So I'm conservative but I'm still way too low. I know velocity, I know what trajectory should be. The rifle is new, but I know the scope well. Finally in frustration I quit. I take my ball and go home.

Then that night it hits me right between the eyes. I'm using a new Leica rangefinder and I say to myself "I bet I'm ranging meters". Sure enough. I check the rangefinder settings. It's in meters. I was shooting at 440 yds. Not 400! Oops.

I must be getting old.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-09-2017, 05:45 PM

I seen that happen on a antelope hunt at 600 yards!! There was quite the panic as some buttons had to be pushed once the mistake was realized!!
Old 09-09-2017, 09:40 PM

I watched the same thing unfold a few years ago. I rather nice fellow, who shall go un-named, was shooting away with his .338LM. He really looked puzzled evrytime he let one go. Now, he only brought 25 rounds with him and he went through his stash pretty quickly. He realized that he was using moa math instead of mil math on his last two rounds.

Quite a shame for him since we were about a two hour drive from where he lived. So it was a waste of resources for him. I bugged him about it later in the summer. He wasn't impressed with me and I believe he's still mad at me about it.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:57 AM
Banned

I did the exact same thing with my bow a couple weeks ago with my Leica rangefinder. Now I'm sighted in to 80m. I didn't feel like re-sighting my bow so I'm hunting in metric this archery season.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:40 AM

Another few examples of the problems encountered in a country that was originally set up with one system of measurement, and then suddenly changed to another, "better" one. The legacy of P.E.T. will never go away.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:03 AM

i've done it too. luckily, if you are a yards guy, you can switch it to yards from metres under the battery cover.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
i've done it too. luckily, if you are a yards guy, you can switch it to yards from metres under the battery cover.
It did switch it to yards, but these new ones require button pushes to do it. :-)

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 09-10-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Funny, kinda like reloading for the 06 and grabbing all the range gear to head out and see what works/groups the best and you grabbed the 3-08 loads...or left the bolt on the bench...poop happens eh

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-10-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
Another few examples of the problems encountered in a country that was originally set up with one system of measurement, and then suddenly changed to another, "better" one. The legacy of P.E.T. will never go away.
I know that for the most part, metric is superior but when it comes to hunting I only think in yards.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:54 PM

Always good to remember 100yards is about 91m. ive had to crush some fast math to get gongs at 500 meters before.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
It did switch it to yards, but these new ones require button pushes to do it. :-)
haha, mine's archaic leica i guess. set mode, aim, push button, get number.. good for simple folk like me........

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
haha, mine's archaic leica i guess. set mode, aim, push button, get number.. good for simple folk like me........
I feel the same. Give me simple.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-10-2017, 09:07 PM

Well the americans crashed their lander on the wrong side of mars over this sort of thing. As canadians we should have forgot about yards years ago. I was on board with p.e.t. and never looked back
Old 09-11-2017, 06:18 PM

I guess im just an old bugger. I think in inches, feet, yards and miles. all my scopes have moa adjustments. The simpler things are to use the better. Someday im going to learn how to use our blue ray player.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I guess im just an old bugger. I think in inches, feet, yards and miles. all my scopes have moa adjustments. The simpler things are to use the better. Someday im going to learn how to use our blue ray player.
Oh no, my scopes are moa too. Never used a blue ray but i use blue tooth
Old 09-11-2017, 10:53 PM

I mix : distances and vehicle speeds in metric ...measurements in standard...velocity in standard.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Simple is mil vs moa. As is metric compared to imperial.. I still use both however, but I had to hammer metric into my brain and since then I try not to use miles, yards, ft, lbs, and inches as little as possible. Simple math doesn't contain fractions of an inch. Being able to utilize both is similar to being bilingual.... comes in handy. I also learned to guesstimate range without a range finder as rangefinders were none existant in my youth. Range finders are nice to have shooting at longer Distance.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
Oh no, my scopes are moa too. Never used a blue ray but i use blue tooth
*Sigh* all this stuff .... blue ray comes from the guns in the sci fi movies, blue tooth is something to see your dentist about......