Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-06-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I don't want to stir the pot or be off topic here, and I only have one experience with a bison. That was shooting a big heifer in the coral, and the rancher instructed me very clearly to shoot her right between the eyes and don't miss. I put a 140 gr Nosler partition at 2850 fps from my 7mm-08 dead between her eyes at 30 yards, perfectly. That bison dropped like somebody had yanked the earth out from under her, I've never seen an animal go down like that before! So this is kind of contradictory to what gitrdun and Battle Rat had to say, but it is my only experience shooting one and I was 'just following orders'.... As a side note, that was by far the best meat we have ever had in our freezer, of all the wild game, beef, and bison I have shot or farm bought over the last 20 years.

So why wouldn't a big heavy 45-70 slug with way more kinetic energy at that range not do the same? Or did I just get really lucky that day....?

It will do the same. I dispatched a longhorn bull with my 45-70 using a 350 grain HotCor bullet and it penetrated through the fore head and lodged half way up his neck after smashing several vertebra! A bison has a thicker skull but the bullet will still turn his brains into mush and that produces the "drop in his tracks" effect.
In my youth I shot many butcher cattle using a .22 long rifle bullet to the fore head. You draw an imaginary X between the eyes and ears and behind that lies the brain, but you must use a solid nose bullet and not a hollow point, they with blow up on the boss and **** the critter off!
Old 09-06-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Just wondering how far you guys will use a 45/70 on game? Took mine out today to check zero. Im sighted in 2.5" high at a 100. -8" at 200 and -28" at 300. Personally i wouldnt use it on gane past 200 yards.
Having been enamored by the GBL since it first came out, I've thought that cartridge through more times than I really should have. Never could find a reason to buy it though.

If I got it as a present, I'd probably say "gee what a fantastic rifle, thanks a bunch". Then take it out, rarely, to heavy willow thickets for moose or into heavy deer cover for quick shots under 100 yards using a fixed 3x scope. With iron sights, maybe 85 yards and less.

It can't really get me more at short range in close cover than some semi-custom .300WM with slightly shortened barrel could, throwing 220-grain roundnose bullets close to 2900 fps. But out of the same rifle I could also consistently make prone killing shots out to 400 meters using 190 gn spitzers. It's just more versatile than the GBL. IMO the GBL/45-70 is a specialized rifle for slightly faster handling than most anything else in a substantial cartridge and maybe easier carrying on a horse.

If I needed something for a particularly obnoxious animal at close range that wanted to spoil my day, I'd probably go for a custom CZ550 in 458 Lott. 45-70 is not in the same ballpark.

If I needed to bring down a larger animal at 500-700 yards for whatever reason, I'd probably go for something that is both consistent and can keep higher energy at a distance, like a 378 Wby or 375 RUM or 9.53 Lazzaroni. Maybe even a 416 Wby. Just because a 45-70 can reach 700 yards and beyond, doesn't mean it can precisely deliver sufficiently high ballistic energy at that point.

If I had to kill anything at 1000 yards, I'd be looking into a 50BMG. But that's just me.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
Having been enamored by the GBL since it first came out, I've thought that cartridge through more times than I really should have. Never could find a reason to buy it though.

If I got it as a present, I'd probably say "gee what a fantastic rifle, thanks a bunch". Then take it out, rarely, to heavy willow thickets for moose or into heavy deer cover for quick shots under 100 yards using a fixed 3x scope. With iron sights, maybe 85 yards and less.

It can't really get me more at short range in close cover than some semi-custom .300WM with slightly shortened barrel could, throwing 220-grain roundnose bullets close to 2900 fps. But out of the same rifle I could also consistently make prone killing shots out to 400 meters using 190 gn spitzers. It's just more versatile than the GBL. IMO the GBL/45-70 is a specialized rifle for slightly faster handling than most anything else in a substantial cartridge and maybe easier carrying on a horse.

If I needed something for a particularly obnoxious animal at close range that wanted to spoil my day, I'd probably go for a custom CZ550 in 458 Lott. 45-70 is not in the same ballpark.

If I needed to bring down a larger animal at 500-700 yards for whatever reason, I'd probably go for something that is both consistent and can keep higher energy at a distance, like a 378 Wby or 375 RUM or 9.53 Lazzaroni. Maybe even a 416 Wby. Just because a 45-70 can reach 700 yards and beyond, doesn't mean it can precisely deliver sufficiently high ballistic energy at that point.

If I had to kill anything at 1000 yards, I'd be looking into a 50BMG. But that's just me.

While I agree with most everything you say, I would add that the attraction of a short lever action rifle in 45-70 that points and handles like a shotgun is that it's much easier to carry than a CZ550. I had the 550 Safari in 375 H & H and as much as I liked the rifle, it wouldn't be my first choice for a self defense gun to carry in the bush.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:28 PM

I plan on taking a Mountain goat with mine this fall. Most shots are under 200 yards and I will use the Hornady 325 gr ftx for the job. This bullet shoots very well in my GBL. The bullet is very frangible but some part of it should penetrate the vitals. Goats ate fairly abundant here but we need the fish and wildlife branch to resume the hunting season at some point when the hazard is over
Old 09-12-2017, 03:11 PM

Read the "45-70 at 2 Miles". 15 sec flight time and ridiculous penetration. Not advocating anything, just points out what a jewel this cartridge is. Draw your own conclusions with a modern 405 gr. bullet @ 1800 fps. or so.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:24 PM

Default short

I always thought it was great for 100 yards
Old 09-24-2017, 10:33 PM

I've shot targets from 50 yards to 1000. Powder puff loads to my Hammer of thor loads. I have just loaded some 450 grain Jacketed over 3031 of what I call nuclear loads to go hunting in grizzly country for moose. I use a shoulder pad under my H&R Buffalo Classic's steel butt plate. Retina detachment is a possibility. Presently own 3 45/70's. I have some 600gr jacketed bullets for an adventure in shooting. Load everything from 147 gr balls to 535 gr cast bullets. It's all fun. Limit to 200 yds when hunting.