Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-31-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Practice some tight slaloms, figure eights, very slow rides and such in a parking lot somewhere. When I took my test there was one other fellow who showed up who took an immediate automatic fail for riding his motorcycle to the test by himself; technically you're a learner and should always be accompanied by someone with a valid class 6 licence. I had my Stepfather along for that purpose so mine went fine. That being said I think I rode for two years before even bothering to take my test, once the bike was insured and registered it seemed like it wanted to be ridden immediately .
I drove myself and and made a grand gesturing wave to the truck following me to make it look like they were supervising me. Examiner never said a word. Don't know what the fella in the truck thought?
Old 08-31-2017, 08:34 AM

I did mine 2 years ago. Lots of people told me don't put your right foot down. So before the road test I asked if that was true and my examiner said no that isn't true. Might be worth a question before test if that is a regular habit for you. Maybe your examiner will be different. My other suggestion, as others have said, is exaggerate your shoulder checks. I know I look over my shoulder before changing lanes and such, but my examiner said if I had been a young driver she would have failed me on shoulder checks. Personally I think with her driving behind me it just wasn't obvious enough for her. Also, in Edson at least, they do not do cone tests, or parking lot tests, whatever you want to call it. It was simply a road exam.

Good Luck
Old 08-31-2017, 09:01 PM

Default Driving test

As said before don't put your right foot down. There is no need for it if you have control of your bike. Look where you want to go is the best advice you can get. If you are looking straight in front of you that is where you are going to go. You have to cast your vision in the direction you want to go like a fishing pole and then come back to where you are.
Everything regarding shifting and signal lights etc should be second nature.
My 2 cents!
Old 08-31-2017, 09:35 PM

keep your brake on at stop lights.....
Of one who has done well
Old 05-19-2018, 08:36 PM

Default Class 6 Edmonton

Make sure you request a fluent English person. I had a Muslim who could barely speak English and giving orders over a poor intercom. I rebooked and insisted a white person and they completely understood. Not sure how this isn't common sense
Old 05-19-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerobi View Post
Make sure you request a fluent English person. I had a Muslim who could barely speak English and giving orders over a poor intercom. I rebooked and insisted a white person and they completely understood. Not sure how this isn't common sense
You know, when I arrived for mine I was never instructed to bring a pair of my own headphones so the examiner went over the route before we set off and told me he would signal my turns in advance in case I forgot so long as I was keeping an eye on him in my mirrors as I should be we would have no problems. Not a single word needed to be spoken the entire time until I finished back at the registry.
I suppose different people have different solutions to problems
Old 05-19-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknorthernjk View Post
You know, when I arrived for mine I was never instructed to bring a pair of my own headphones so the examiner went over the route before we set off and told me he would signal my turns in advance in case I forgot so long as I was keeping an eye on him in my mirrors as I should be we would have no problems. Not a single word needed to be spoken the entire time until I finished back at the registry.
I suppose different people have different solutions to problems
Did the exact same thing when I did my test years ago. Worked out great.
Are going insane.