Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2017, 04:16 PM

Default Calgary store clerk turns tables on thieves

Two idiots wanted to rob a store in Calgary but the guy working there didn't comply, idiots got caught

http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/08/30...les-on-thieves
Old 08-30-2017, 04:33 PM

That is such bullsh*t. If the robbers had any idea what they were doing, the clerk would have been quickly killed or otherwise disabled. Looks like somebody couldn't meet their mortgage payments.

Likewise, if the clerk had a suitable weapon available he could have quickly handled the situation before it might have escalated to the point he got a one-way ticket to the morgue.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:51 PM

Could've been a lot worse if either side knew what they were doing. Pretty sloppy robbery when you have to break out of the store you just robbed. If this was the states the guy behind the counter would be an episode of the first 48.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2017, 10:13 PM

Just seen on CFCn.ca. Glad tha guy and girl got busted. This is most likely a result of fentanyl driven addiction.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosman177 View Post
Just seen on CFCn.ca. Glad tha guy and girl got busted. This is most likely a result of fentanyl driven addiction.
An argument that over dosing is not necessarily a bad thing.

Grizz
Old 08-31-2017, 08:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
That is such bullsh*t. If the robbers had any idea what they were doing, the clerk would have been quickly killed or otherwise disabled. Looks like somebody couldn't meet their mortgage payments.

Likewise, if the clerk had a suitable weapon available he could have quickly handled the situation before it might have escalated to the point he got a one-way ticket to the morgue.
Not sure what you are upset about. Is it because the robbers wern't better armed and better at robbing stores? Or is it because clerk didn't have a 12 guage hidden behind counter in case of robbers?
I'm happy clerk wasn't seriously hurt and that robbers were caught. Sounds like the clerk did not try to escalate situation and was forced to improvise. Good for him and his buddy.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:17 AM

Cool

I'm always sickened by the official statements from the police that say essentially "When being robbed, be sure to also bend over and spread your cheeks, also give the robbers some extra stuff that they might not realize you even had in the first place". It's obvious they're talking on behalf of the city lawyers. Of course they should be preaching caution, but they could also be noting that defending oneself against physical attack is entirely legal. They don't have to go on and on about danger, people understand that, what they need to do is to not encourage a population of passive victims which only encourages repeat offender bad guys to keep on offending. I get the public safety aspect of their warnings, but they are also responsible for crime prevention and that's where these statements contradict their directive.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post

Yea, I don't get it either. Nobody was hurt. Nothing to see here.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:35 AM

The two thieves could have been seriously injured! A bottle of windshield washer can be lethal. The clerk must be charged! People can't take their lives into their own hands. Police, do your job and arrest this man.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:52 AM

A bunch of junkies botching a robbery. It takes the second junkie about 10 seconds to realize the other junkie is getting wrestled and he's still loading up cigs. How many times are these clowns shuffling around in a haze trying to figure out what to steal and wandering back and forth like idiots.

Best thing for these two junkie thugs would have been a big and angry store owner with a nice piece of pipe. This store owner was a saint. Most store owners would be swing that pipe just to listen to it ring off the thief's head. These junkies are so lucky this guy was a nice gentle soul of a man.

Now, these junkie clowns will be going to club med to get three square meals a day and will enjoy cable TV and free activities paid by me and the store owner from our taxes instead of laying in a hospital bed drinking their meals through a straw.

Lucky junkies.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
A bunch of junkies botching a robbery. It takes the second junkie about 10 seconds to realize the other junkie is getting wrestled and he's still loading up cigs. How many times are these clowns shuffling around in a haze trying to figure out what to steal and wandering back and forth like idiots.

Best thing for these two junkie thugs would have been a big and angry store owner with a nice piece of pipe. This store owner was a saint. Most store owners would be swing that pipe just to listen to it ring off the thief's head. These junkies are so lucky this guy was a nice gentle soul of a man.

Now, these junkie clowns will be going to club med to get three square meals a day and will enjoy cable TV and free activities paid by me and the store owner from our taxes instead of laying in a hospital bed drinking their meals through a straw.

Lucky junkies.
LOL I agree those two robbers were pretty lucky. It was actually funny watching the 2 of them stumble and bumble around. A different sort of clerk might have laid them both out on the floor.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I'm always sickened by the official statements from the police that say essentially "When being robbed, be sure to also bend over and spread your cheeks, also give the robbers some extra stuff that they might not realize you even had in the first place". It's obvious they're talking on behalf of the city lawyers. Of course they should be preaching caution, but they could also be noting that defending oneself against physical attack is entirely legal. They don't have to go on and on about danger, people understand that, what they need to do is to not encourage a population of passive victims which only encourages repeat offender bad guys to keep on offending. I get the public safety aspect of their warnings, but they are also responsible for crime prevention and that's where these statements contradict their directive.
x1000
Old 08-31-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post

The official police position on crime is "just go with it". "Hey ladies. Don't resist if you are being pulled into a van. Somebody might be hurt and then we'd have to charge you. And its probably only a 50% chance that you'll be murdered after you are raped." That's the police position. Like their position on home invasions: "Unlock the door and cooperate".

Don't be fooled into thinking they are on our side.

Last edited by Okotokian; 08-31-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:18 PM

Police do not promote or support a person to do nothing if they are being physically harmed. First priority should be to try and flee or get away, but if unable, then by all means fight back with all and any means to protect yourself. What Police will say is that no property is worth putting yourself at risk for.

In this situation the confrontation was a result of the Clerk not wanting to lie down on the floor. The clerk felt if he laid down then he was defenseless against any attack or the Robbers may have injured him once he was on the floor. His rational seems reasonable and maybe was a good decision not knowing what the Robbers may do.

Where the Police may caution the Clerk about his actions was after he escaped the store. By blocking the doors and then engaging the Robbers in another physical confrontation after having reasonable opportunity to escape, this would not be promote or suggested by the Police. The Robber still had a pick axe in his possession and 1 swing could be fatal.

We all want to see the Robbers caught, but a bunch of cigarettes and lottery tickets are not worth serious injury or death.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:47 PM

Did anyone else notice that in the heart of Calgary it took to cops over 15 minutes to arrive on scene. What the hell kind of crappy Police coverage is that. Must have taken a long time getting out of the booth at Tims, or maybe they weren't finished their donuts when the call came in. That confirms you better fight back if in danger because if you rely on the Cops they will get there in time to draw a really nice chalk outline around your body.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Did anyone else notice that in the heart of Calgary it took to cops over 15 minutes to arrive on scene. What the hell kind of crappy Police coverage is that. Must have taken a long time getting out of the booth at Tims, or maybe they weren't finished their donuts when the call came in. That confirms you better fight back if in danger because if you rely on the Cops they will get there in time to draw a really nice chalk outline around your body.
Do you know what else was going on that night/morning?
Old 08-31-2017, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
I didn't notice in the news report when exactly the police were first notified. They might have arrived in 47 seconds as far as we know. Guess it depends if the clerk hit an alarm, or when his buddy called the police.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Police do not promote or support a person to do nothing if they are being physically harmed. First priority should be to try and flee or get away, but if unable, then by all means fight back with all and any means to protect yourself. What Police will say is that no property is worth putting yourself at risk for.

In this situation the confrontation was a result of the Clerk not wanting to lie down on the floor. The clerk felt if he laid down then he was defenseless against any attack or the Robbers may have injured him once he was on the floor. His rational seems reasonable and maybe was a good decision not knowing what the Robbers may do.

Where the Police may caution the Clerk about his actions was after he escaped the store. By blocking the doors and then engaging the Robbers in another physical confrontation after having reasonable opportunity to escape, this would not be promote or suggested by the Police. The Robber still had a pick axe in his possession and 1 swing could be fatal.

We all want to see the Robbers caught, but a bunch of cigarettes and lottery tickets are not worth serious injury or death.
I agree. Miriam Rashidi died trying to stop a gas and run. The offender was caught and received 11 years (7ish years remaining) and a lifetime ban on driving. Was it worth it?

Last edited by sgill808; 08-31-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
When were they called for you to determine it took 15 minutes to arrive?
Old 08-31-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:

The video goes from 5:02 to 5:14 instantly. At 5:14 the police car is there and you can see persons walking around like the situation has already been resolved. No idea at what point between 5:02 and 5:14 the police arrive. And since the Robbers only entered at 4:58 and mostly likely the call to 911 came from the clerk at the other store, response time might have been outstanding. Especially given it was 5am in the morning very near to the end of the Officers shifts.

Nice coffee shop and donut joke, but that is really 1980's material. I guess you typed this on your lunch break at 12:47. Wonder if the Officer's that night got a meal break, because on a lot of shifts they don't.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
The video goes from 5:02 to 5:14 instantly. At 5:14 the police car is there and you can see persons walking around like the situation has already been resolved. No idea at what point between 5:02 and 5:14 the police arrive. And since the Robbers only entered at 4:58 and mostly likely the call to 911 came from the clerk at the other store, response time might have been outstanding. Especially given it was 5am in the morning very near to the end of the Officers shifts.

Nice coffee shop and donut joke, but that is really 1980's material. I guess you typed this on your lunch break at 12:47. Wonder if the Officer's that night got a meal break, because on a lot of shifts they don't.
Jokes on you, I don't get a lunch break, I am on break all day every day. As to the donut thing being 1980s material, take a look at the parking lot near a Tim's in the morning or at Noon. No shortage of cop cars, even today.
-
Now for the other piece. The video does jump at 5:03:32 to 5:14 and the cop car is there. The shop keepers buddy called 911 as soon as he heard the robbery on the phone at 4:48 and apparently so did a bunch of other callers but there is no times provided for those calls. I don't give a rats petut what else was going on, armed robbery in progress with citizens in danger should pop to the top, even if it is shift change. If they were there by 5:05 good, 7 minutes or under is pretty acceptable. Any later not good enough and since the two store guys were restraining one of the preps when the cops arrived I am betting they weren't there much before 5:14.

I used to be a real fan of the cops and I still am of the majority of the individuals that serve. Donut joke probably wasn't real fair as the average guy on patrol does care about doing a good job. I have a couple of family members still serving and I know they still care but it is very clear when talking to them that they are being directed in VERY specific ways and shifts are staffed to minimise cost and maximise revenue. For all sorts of reasons, we are NOT getting the service we used to or are paying for. Policing has become more about PR and revenue generation than it has about public safety.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:05 PM

The clerk defended himself and was not seriously hurt and he did not have to kill the idiots and that is good. The idiots were captured and that is good. To me, it seems all good.

To second guess all the details is akin to prying a hunting bullet from a single shot game kill and somehow suggesting bullet failure.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
The two thieves could have been seriously injured! A bottle of windshield washer can be lethal. The clerk must be charged! People can't take their lives into their own hands. Police, do your job and arrest this man.
Absolutely! The clerk needs to be charged for assault. His life wasn't in danger, he could have run away, instead he lobs highly deadly bottles of washer fluid at the poor criminals (and really, robbing a store with a pick ax is the biggest cry for help I've ever seen!)....yup, he needs to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law for his vicious attack on these victims.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-31-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Jokes on you, I don't get a lunch break, I am on break all day every day. As to the donut thing being 1980s material, take a look at the parking lot near a Tim's in the morning or at Noon. No shortage of cop cars, even today.
-
Now for the other piece. The video does jump at 5:03:32 to 5:14 and the cop car is there. The shop keepers buddy called 911 as soon as he heard the robbery on the phone at 4:48 and apparently so did a bunch of other callers but there is no times provided for those calls. I don't give a rats petut what else was going on, armed robbery in progress with citizens in danger should pop to the top, even if it is shift change. If they were there by 5:05 good, 7 minutes or under is pretty acceptable. Any later not good enough and since the two store guys were restraining one of the preps when the cops arrived I am betting they weren't there much before 5:14.

I used to be a real fan of the cops and I still am of the majority of the individuals that serve. Donut joke probably wasn't real fair as the average guy on patrol does care about doing a good job. I have a couple of family members still serving and I know they still care but it is very clear when talking to them that they are being directed in VERY specific ways and shifts are staffed to minimise cost and maximise revenue. For all sorts of reasons, we are NOT getting the service we used to or are paying for. Policing has become more about PR and revenue generation than it has about public safety.
IMHO, you need to reconsider your wording then.. Your problem is with the how the police are staffed (or not staffed)/managed, not specifically how these police officers responded. I'll give the members the benefit of the doubt, they could've been on the other side of the district (or out of district assisting) another call. Yes armed robbery in progress "should" get priority, but if you're 15mins away, it takes 15mins to get there.

I understand what you are saying (re:budget/etc), as I have many Leo's in my family.

If you think the CPS is understaffed, go talk to an RCMP officer. Backup on most night shifts is basically non-existent, hell my BIL's district only has backup a few nights a week, that's right, it's just two on day shift, one on night shift and one on call. Oh, and the radios only work ~60% of the time. Couldn't pay me enough to do what they do.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
-

If you are against them going for morning coffee or taking a lunch break, then be a man and go tell those officer's face to face that you believe what they are doing is unprofessional. You are a tax payer and have a right to voice your concern, but bashing them on the internet behind a screen name really serve no purpose.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:54 PM

Wow, didn't think it would cause a discussion like this when I shared it, just thought it was funny how the guy wasn't impressed at all by their threats and then barricaded them in the store.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagehunter View Post
Wow, didn't think it would cause a discussion like this when I shared it, just thought it was funny how the guy wasn't impressed at all by their threats and then barricaded them in the store.
It was an interesting post. I enjoyed watching it. No matter what the post no one can predict the direction it will take.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagehunter View Post
Every couple months a thread will turn into "cop bashing" whether it is warranted or not. It is just the way it is!