Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-15-2017, 04:19 PM

Default Dominion arms grizzly vs akkar Churchill

Looking for opinions/reviews on the 12/1/2" barrel grizzly or Churchill shotgun?
Any pros and cons wanted. Looking for a 4+1 shotgun I can hike with that's not crazy long, not too heavy, and reasonably priced.
I'm ruling out the 8.5" grizzly as it's 2+1
Also the magazine fed.
Any opionions welcomed
Old 04-15-2017, 07:57 PM

I've had a couple of Grizzlies, still have one. (12.5" bead sight) They seem heavy for what they are, but they function very well once broken in. I've had a lot of trigger time with 870s, so the Grizzly feels very natural to me. Very simple guns to work on too.

Only change/upgrade I made to my current one is a Hogue forend. I find the factory one is slippery no matter what the temperature, gloves/no gloves. The Hogue corrected that, but, it was a tight fit to get on.

I don't know anything about the other gun you mentioned, but I don't think you'd be too disappointed with a Grizzly. I think the asking price for new ones is too much considering what used 870s sell for, but if you put a wanted ad up for a used one...you'll find a deal. I think I bought mine used (but in new condition) for $200 about a year ago.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:32 PM

Default Dominion arms grizzly vs akkar Churchill

I've got a dominion arms with the 12.5" tube and ghost sights. For a backup gun it fits the purpose. I've got a Blackhawk stock and oversized safety on it and recommend both modifications. It cycles well and it's accurate (for a shotgun). When I'm bowhunting bears I wear it under my right arm on a single point sling and keep it full of brenneke slugs.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:20 AM

My clip fed Grizzly functions well and the clip magazine allows faster start up. It also saves cycling unused ammo through the action when done with the shooting. A folding stock makes it much handier for traveling. For bear safety - bear spray is usually the better option!
Old 04-16-2017, 10:55 AM

Bought Akkar at P@D a few months back, ( quad carry gun ). Haven't shot it a lot, but what I did, it shouldered and handled nice. $250 and a nice carry case was around $60 I think. It is 4+1, 3".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170416_103947_resized.jpg (28.7 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg 20170416_104019_resized.jpg (32.4 KB, 154 views)
Old 04-16-2017, 11:15 AM

Default restricted

Coil is that gun not restricted? Good gun to pack but might not be worth the hassle.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMaster101 View Post
Coil is that gun not restricted? Good gun to pack but might not be worth the hassle.
No it's still about 5.5" over the minimum length. A guy could run the same stock on the 8.5" barrel and still be non restricted.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I've got a dominion arms with the 12.5" tube and ghost sights. For a backup gun it fits the purpose. I've got a Blackhawk stock and oversized safety on it and recommend both modifications. It cycles well and it's accurate (for a shotgun). When I'm bowhunting bears I wear it under my right arm on a single point sling and keep it full of brenneke slugs.

That's a neat looking gun. What's the weight after you switched the stock out?
I think they're 7.6 lbs stock.
Where did you order the acc?
Old 04-16-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
Bought Akkar at P@D a few months back, ( quad carry gun ). Haven't shot it a lot, but what I did, it shouldered and handled nice. $250 and a nice carry case was around $60 I think. It is 4+1, 3".
Great setup. Heard they are newer to the market as I've always seen the Grizzlies. But intrigue me.. if you knew the weight of the gun ide be very interested. Heard they're around 5lbs .
28" I'm guessing?
Thanks for the info. These churchills look neat
Old 04-16-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Hunter View Post
That's a neat looking gun. What's the weight after you switched the stock out?

I think they're 7.6 lbs stock.

Where did you order the acc?

I'm not sure where I got the stock, it was somewhere in Canada. I found them online but they were a bit of a show because they didn't have it in stock and didn't bother to tell me when I ordered so I waited about three months for the stock.

The safety I got off eBay and if memory serves correct the guy who sells/builds them is also Canadian.

Empty

Loaded

Old 04-16-2017, 09:51 PM

The CanadaAmmo has Grizzlies or DA (same thing afaik) on the regular basis, and the last batch (last week) was on sale for $200 new.
I was about to order 18.5 with the mag but ended up getting O/U instead.

If you make an acc with CanadaAmmo and "like" (or "wishlist") anything you get the email notification as soon as they are in stock.

Edit:
$200 price was for 18.5 barrel. 12.5 and 8.5 were a bit more expensive
Old 04-16-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
The CanadaAmmo has Grizzlies or DA (same thing afaik) on the regular basis, and the last batch (last week) was on sale for $200 new.
I was about to order 18.5 with the mag but ended up getting O/U instead.

If you make an acc with CanadaAmmo and "like" (or "wishlist") anything you get the email notification as soon as they are in stock.

Edit:
$200 price was for 18.5 barrel. 12.5 and 8.5 were a bit more expensive
Good to know. Thx good price .
Old 04-16-2017, 10:20 PM

W
Quote:
I'm not sure where I got the stock, it was somewhere in Canada. I found them online but they were a bit of a show because they didn't have it in stock and didn't bother to tell me when I ordered so I waited about three months for the stock.

The safety I got off eBay and if memory serves correct the guy who sells/builds them is also Canadian.

Empty

Awesome, the front grip is that's standard or was it also replaced? It makes the rifle look good.
Looking for an light as possible setup, as Is why I am also considering the Churchill. Just outweighing pros and cons. Your setup is slick lol.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:24 PM

The front grip came with the stock as did the attachment point for the single point sling. I took a look through my emails and I got it from canadiansafetysource.ca
You could always get the recoil reducing version if you were recoil sensitive.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 04-16-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
W
That's awesome. Was the front grip replaced it looks good.
Just out weighing the pros and cons of the 2 guns.
The Churchill seems lighter but less options I think..
Old 04-16-2017, 10:29 PM

That's great thanks, Your getting me antsy to
Make a order👍
Old 04-24-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Looking for opinions/reviews on the 12/1/2" barrel grizzly or Churchill shotgun?
Any pros and cons wanted. Looking for a 4+1 shotgun I can hike with that's not crazy long, not too heavy, and reasonably priced.
I'm ruling out the 8.5" grizzly as it's 2+1
Also the magazine fed.
Any opionions welcomed
I had to make the same choice last year between those two guns.
I ended up with a Grizzly because there was no availability on the Churchill at the time.
Glad I got the Grizzly because 870 parts/accessories will bolt on.
Now I also have a 28" 870 barrel that I can swap onto it. It's like having two guns two guns in one.
“My rifle … this is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my friend … I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle without me is useless … I will learn its strengths and weaknesses, its parts, its accessories, its sights, and its barrel. I will keep it clean and ready, we will become part of each other … before God, I swear this creed.” General William H. Rupertus
Old 04-25-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:

Thats a nice looking setup. I need something like that for bear country.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris89lx View Post
I had to make the same choice last year between those two guns.
I ended up with a Grizzly because there was no availability on the Churchill at the time.
Glad I got the Grizzly because 870 parts/accessories will bolt on.
Now I also have a 28" 870 barrel that I can swap onto it. It's like having two guns two guns in one.
I've got a DA Grizzly 18 with the folding stock. I had doubts about carrying a gun with that ugly box mag but I bought it anyways. It just gets in the way with every dam sling or carry I've tried.

How do you carry yours?

Old 07-18-2017, 04:16 PM

I'm a bit late to the discussion but I own both the Dominion 12.5" with ghost rings and choke tubes and the Churchill version as well.

The Dominion is extremely heavy for what it is, but other than that is an excellent gun. Mine is reasonably well finished, has a smooth action, and shoots to point of aim without ever adjusting the sights. The receiver is steel...

The Churchill has an even better finish, weighs 1 to 1.5 lbs less due to having an alloy receiver, has a smoother action and a superb trigger. Blade front sight, shoots to point of aim as well. Cylinder bore, fixed.

I'd choose the Churchill because of weight, finish and trigger. And if course price.... I paid about $60 less at Canadian Tire.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:51 PM
Banned

So, you folks with the tacticool shotguns ever been faced with a situation? namely a grizzly bear that threatened your well being? I ride fences in grazing leases that border 312 and 406. I've riden those on horseback and on a quad to identify broken fence lines, identify sick or hurt cattle and doctor them up. My gun of choice is a 444 Marlin in my scabbard. I've only come up once on a pair of grizz that were close enough to make my hair stand on end. Yet, those two bears (I think they were siblings) did not even propose a threat. Had those 2 bears decided to charge, my horse and I woulda been dead meat. And yet, my mare and I rode out of Dodge unscathed. Well actually, to be honest, bears don't like horse meat. Bottom line is I think you guys are over thinking this. Sounds to me like you all want to be more the likes of a "Mall Ninja" then anything else with your idiotic defense firearms such as this one. I'm suggesting that perhaps the best choice would be to wear some "Depends"
Old 07-19-2017, 05:51 AM

Default Yes, actually

Twice. I worked in forestry for 20 years and in both of those incidents I was unarmed because the rifle I had was left behind in the truck because it was too heavy and cumbersome to be carried on foot along with all my other gear. I had nothing one time and pepper spray the other. I was more than moderately concerned both times and would probably have been toast if I'd panicked and ran. I wouldn't have shot the bear either time even if I'd had my gun, because it didn't quite cross that threshold in either case. I surely did wish I had it though.

I didn't crap my drawers either, but would not be ashamed if I had.

We were asked for an opinion on a couple of specific firearms and gave them. The gentleman (JimPS) who said hey, that box magazine thing is really sort of awkward - he respectfully added something useful to the discussion that might help the OP out. I don't care for tactical (or clumsy looking) stuff on shotguns either, it's just not to my taste. But hey, whatever!

You Mr Gitr added nothing of value here: only hot air, insults and unpleasantness that are not needed. Ignorantly denouncing & insulting others when you know absolutely nothing about them, their motivations, experiences or their needs is uncalled for at best.

If man wants to play at being a ninja, a make believe cowboy or to wear a dress and prance through the forest as a wood fairy what business is it of anyone else's? It might be damned odd, yes. But I don't feel threatened by it or feel a need to attack them.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
So, you folks with the tacticool shotguns ever been faced with a situation? namely a grizzly bear that threatened your well being? I ride fences in grazing leases that border 312 and 406. I've riden those on horseback and on a quad to identify broken fence lines, identify sick or hurt cattle and doctor them up. My gun of choice is a 444 Marlin in my scabbard. I've only come up once on a pair of grizz that were close enough to make my hair stand on end. Yet, those two bears (I think they were siblings) did not even propose a threat. Had those 2 bears decided to charge, my horse and I woulda been dead meat. And yet, my mare and I rode out of Dodge unscathed. Well actually, to be honest, bears don't like horse meat. Bottom line is I think you guys are over thinking this. Sounds to me like you all want to be more the likes of a "Mall Ninja" then anything else with your idiotic defense firearms such as this one. I'm suggesting that perhaps the best choice would be to wear some "Depends"

A friend of mine was checking a fence and would likely be dead today if he hadn't had his rifle in his hand. It happened so fast that he shot from the hip and head shot the bear!
There's no need for you to be so insulting to others and show your ignorance.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:26 AM

I had a Canuck Defender (Which is an Akkar Churchill clone) and just recently got a 14" barrel for my 870. Id have to go with 870 with a shorty barrel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Message_1500422714240.jpg (108.1 KB, 60 views)
Old 07-19-2017, 02:54 PM

Interesting thread. Anyone know if the pistol grip-folding stock, clip fed Grizzly with a 12" barrel is still long enough to not be restricted?
Old 07-19-2017, 07:01 PM

Hi Dean,

Read here:
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/index-eng.htm

Restricted firearms include...
rifles and shotguns that can be fired when their overall length has been reduced by folding, telescoping or other means to less than 660 mm; and...

Break out the tape measure and check it out is my advice. I wouldn't take anyone's word for it. Search the RCMP website yourself, and measure it yourself. It might be really close, I'm not sure as I not a pistol grip fan myself so I haven't checked.
Best Regards
Old 07-19-2017, 07:55 PM

I bought a Mossberg JIC. I'm not a fan of the pistol grip but it's the lightest bang for your buck that I could find.. stainless was also in my criteria for my carry gun. It's 5 lbs unloaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_L View Post
Hi Dean,

Read here:
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/index-eng.htm

Restricted firearms include...
rifles and shotguns that can be fired when their overall length has been reduced by folding, telescoping or other means to less than 660 mm; and...

Break out the tape measure and check it out is my advice. I wouldn't take anyone's word for it. Search the RCMP website yourself, and measure it yourself. It might be really close, I'm not sure as I not a pistol grip fan myself so I haven't checked.
Best Regards
Very good advice. I would definitely do that but I do not know where one is to measure so I was hoping someone that had one would know.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:53 PM

Hey Dean, the guy at Canada ammo will be able to answer your question I'm sure. I've always found him helpful. Fire him an email.

If you are looking for something compact and easy to carry, you might want to skip the box mag version. Like JimPS indicated above, it really does get in the way to a surprising degree.

Before you buy, I'd suggest a look at that Akkar or Churchill as well. Canadian Tire stores often carry them.

Based on the weight difference alone, it's the one I always grab from the rack before heading out. Saving a pound really makes a difference on a long hike through the bush. You are unlikely to find replacement stocks for it easily though.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:45 PM

I bought a stoeger coach 12 ga and a 2 shell holder for the stock. Easy to carry and a whole lot of punch.