Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-31-2017, 03:56 PM

Default Glacier Lake Banff

Hey, I was wondering if anyone had ever been up to Glacier lake in Banff. I'm planning a trip there for this spring and was hoping somebody had some information on fishing.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:11 PM

I've been there, maybe 25 years ago, but didn't fish it. I did see fish rising, though. The hike was around 2.5 or 3 hours, with very little elevation gain. It was the first time I had seen a flying squirrel - the little bugger attacked my food bag as soon as I hung my food on the bear pole. We were the first people to camp there that spring, and some jerks had left steaks, bacon, eggs, and a whole bunch of garbage in the old trapper cabin at the campsite. Needless to say, we had a rather large campfire that night.
The water in the lake is very murky because of the glacial silt. You may have some luck fishing the river on the way in.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:10 AM

While I don't have any info on the fishing itself. It looks like it may not be open for fishing until July 1st. Cant find any specific regulations for it so it may just fall under the "All other waters except closed waters" category, which is July 1st to October 31st. Looks like a nice hike though and I may have to head in there myself!
Old 02-01-2017, 10:25 AM

It doesn't open for fishing until July 1st.There are some lakers in there. If you want info on the hike in and camping check out martyupnorth on You tube.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:07 PM

Ill bet there are monster lakers in there.
The problem is , the water is crystal clear when the ice comes off but becomes almost opaque by july 1.
I bought my float tube in there and trolled the whole 1/4 of the lake by the campsite with very little luck.
Very hard to fish according to national park rules.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
Ill bet there are monster lakers in there.
The problem is , the water is crystal clear when the ice comes off but becomes almost opaque by july 1.
I bought my float tube in there and trolled the whole 1/4 of the lake by the campsite with very little luck.
Very hard to fish according to national park rules.
Did you catch much? I've been told it has held bulls and cutties as well. Is that true?
Old 02-06-2017, 01:05 PM

Nice easy first hike of the year.
Just be forewarned at that early in the year the bear numbers in the area are staggering. I took a beginner back packing group in and have never seen so much fresh bear sign in an area in my life. Not a big problem just need to be careful is all.