Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-26-2014, 11:40 AM

Default Senneker Triggers

With all the debate on purchasing snares at the snare shop I spent some time on snare shops website. I bought all my supplies from Marty because I wanted to get them from the man who came up with the idea.

Occasionally (about five to eight percent) I find the trigger will catch the ferrule on the end of the snare rendering the kill spring inoperable. I've had it happen with regular and magnum springs. I was thinking about turning the trigger around so the tip points to the camlock to stop this.

Long story short I see in the snare shops copy of Marty's system they already do this...

Is there a reason they should not be built this way?
Old 12-26-2014, 06:50 PM

Default Triggers

All of my triggers point toward the lock - no issues firing.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:35 PM
AO Sponsor

Triggers that point towards the lock fire better. However, they also tangle more and can be a pain to work with, so I run my triggers pointing away, but I use all 1/16 currently. However, if you use 3/32" then I highly recommend using the trigger pointing toward the lock always, the button stop is too big and will keep the unit from firing.

1/16" I didnt have a problem with snares firing with standard stingers, I doubt I would have a problem with 5/64" firing either as the stops are the same size. I'm going all magnums now on coyotes. They are spectacular! Currently I run my triggers pointing away from the lock with the magnums and use one washer between the spring and end stop, which could be eliminated if you run the trigger opposite.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:58 PM

the triggers that I have suck. only half of them catch on the spring, they slip off. the lightning locks are breaking and letting my coyotes loose. going to go back to the basics, camlock and cable! not impressed
Old 12-26-2014, 11:19 PM
AO Sponsor

We had some quality control issues with our manufacturer. My apologies, I hated every minute of it too, perhaps a whole lot more than anybody! We have improved the triggers with a longer and true tip. The 3/32-5/64" size lightning lock is better now than they ever were, and we are hoping to have new 1/16" locks by end of Jauary. We changed manufacturers and these 1/16 locks will be made in the same plant as the excellent 3/32 size locks.

If you never use a Lightning Lock again, I will understand! I will never use that factory again as I have 2x 50,000 lightning lock runs waiting to go to the scrap yard. Regardless I will press on to continue improving the neck snare.

Improved triggers have a number stamped on the back of the trigger, a #2 or a #3.