Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-02-2012, 07:17 PM

Default New rem 700 sps long range

Anyone have any experience with this one?
Was looking at the Sendero or XCR Tactical chambered in 7mm, but I see this new piece is priced at half of what the above rifles are priced at.

http://remington.com/products/firear...ong-range.aspx

Any info appreciated.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:39 PM

The SPS has a cheap plastic stock, and a cheaper finish. The plastic stock is quite flimsy, which can be an issue if you float the barrel.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:45 PM

With the price being half of the higher quality rifles (Sendaro)....I would expect the quality of the SPS to follow the trend in pricing....ie. Half the price, half the quality.

LC
Old 10-02-2012, 07:55 PM

Buy it and change the stock out with a take off from a sendero or police model.

There is plenty of them out there for about 300$
Old 10-02-2012, 07:56 PM

That appears to be nothing more than the SPS Varmint with a long action, available in magnum carts? The stock looks identical, save the web pattern?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:59 PM

A Remington 700 is a Remington 700. With the better models you are paying for the stock and maybe a different finish. The barreled action is the same quality.

Buy a standard SPS, buy a boyds stock, get is professionally bedded and the trigger tuned. You will have a rig more accurate than a Police or Sendero for $800-$900 total investment.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
A Remington 700 is a Remington 700. With the better models you are paying for the stock and maybe a different finish. The barreled action is the same quality.
Exactly right. Put it in a decent stock and it should be fine.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 PM

Default Sps varmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolete View Post
Exactly right. Put it in a decent stock and it should be fine.
I agree 100% I have a Rem 700 SPS VARMINT in 243 and with the factory flimsy stock it is still a tack driver. I can't wait to put a boyds stock on it to make it even better. Check shooterschoice.ca I'm sure Roger will beat any other new price you will find.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:

Buy a standard SPS, buy a boyds stock, get is professionally bedded and the trigger tuned. You will have a rig more accurate than a Police or Sendero for $800-$900 total investment.

Absolutely NOT. With the pricier models, your paying for stock, fit, finish AND a lot smoother action. Go and cycle them side by side. For $300 more, well worth it.
I went into wss planning on purchasing an SPS stainless in 223. I walked out empty handed just from cycling it. Glad I did. Paid more for a used BDL in the EE on CGN.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingtwo View Post
Absolutely NOT. With the pricier models, your paying for stock, fit, finish AND a lot smoother action. Go and cycle them side by side. For $300 more, well worth it.
I went into wss planning on purchasing an SPS stainless in 223. I walked out empty handed just from cycling it. Glad I did. Paid more for a used BDL in the EE on CGN.
Sorry to burst your bubble. They are the same barreled action. Some of the more expensive rifles have a jeweled bolt. They are the same quality though. Sometimes a cheap SPS will cycle smoother than a sendero. I worked in a gun store for three years and have cycled the bolt on hundreds of brand new 700s. Some are rough, most are pretty good, none are great; I'm glad you got a good one.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble. They are the same barreled action. Some of the more expensive rifles have a jeweled bolt. They are the same quality though. Sometimes a cheap SPS will cycle smoother than a sendero. I worked in a gun store for three years and have cycled the bolt on hundreds of brand new 700s. Some are rough, most are pretty good, none are great; I'm glad you got a good one.
Yes, they are the same action. They are 700's. There are more lemons in the SPS's then the higher grades, simply because they are finished better.

Last edited by missingtwo; 10-02-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingtwo View Post
Yes, they are the same action. They are 700's. There are more lemons in the SPOS's then the higher grades, simply because they are finished better.
There is no hand finishing or anything beyond a different bluing or a jeweled bolt (a $60 gunsmith job). For all intents and purposes they are the same with a better stock. Functionality doesn't change, lemon rate does not change and since they are coming off the same assembly line they are essentially the same barreled action with a few inexpensive touches.

I'm not ripping on 700s, lower end or higher end. I'm just saying they are the same rifle minus stock and cosmetics.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Banned

I guess we will hafta agree to disagree. You have your reasons, I have mine. I do have a locker full of BDL's and CDL's. Don't have any SPS's. It all comes down to the choice of the buyer.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Banned

To the buyer, please put an Sps in your hand and then put a BDL or CDL in your hands. Cycle them and make your decision. I have had discussions with gun counter employees. Some I have even listened too.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:30 AM

I have the Rem 700 SPS in .243 LH as well. Action cycles ok but it is not a Tikka. Keep it lubed up to help.

I really don't care for the stock either as it ices up on really cold days. Been looking at a different stock as well to dress it up.

It is a tack driver for sure. It likes the 58 gr Vmax running at 3600 to 3700 fps.

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:47 PM

Everyone complains about the stock on the sps and sad that is the reason it won't shoot. I call baloney. I had a vsf with the plastic stock and my buddy has a sps varmint with the plastic stock and it will put 5 shots in the same hole. Hell I have a picture of a 13 shot group out of mine (no breaks in between shots) and 11 of them are touching. Unless you are some pro bench rest shooter out to 1000 yards you won't notice the difference in the stock.

They are tack drivers!