Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-02-2012, 09:33 PM

Default Re-Bluing a Classic

OK, so I made a great score last night. Managed to pick up a Colt King Cobra, 6" barrel, in Royal blue, with the factory walnut finger groove grips. I have been keeping my eyes out for one for a long while, and scooped it off Nutz yesterday. I was (am) pretty excited, and should get it in a week or so. It has bluing wear on the cylinder, but the frame and barrel still look pretty good (going by pictures, when I get it in my sweaty hands I will get a better idea)....

So, I'm wondering, A: if I should reblue the cylinder and try and match to the frame, B: reblue the entire pistol and hope it can be done back to the Royal Blue that Colt put on it in the first place, or C: Don't you dare touch that thing!!

If you would suggest A or B, who would you suggest I get to do it? So far, I have had Gunner at Armco mentioned twice by folks who I respect and know what they are talking about......and I was also told that if I mess with it I may get slapped.

What to do?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-02-2012, 09:36 PM

Did you buy it for yourself or to please others?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:49 PM

I know I wouldn't be able to make that call until it was in my hands!

Personally I could live with a bit of wear on an excellent factory deep blue. Just be aware that you would never get your investment (for the reblue) back out of the gun if you wanted to sell at some point.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Did you buy it for yourself or to please others?
I don't buy anything to please others, just me. Usually, I screw up though. Why do you ask?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-02-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I don't buy anything to please others, just me. Usually, I screw up though. Why do you ask?
If you bought it for yourself, only you can decide on what to do. Do what pleases you, don't worry about what others think. For what it's worth Gunner does great work.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:56 PM

C but I am old and know nothing

Steve In GP

Old 10-02-2012, 10:04 PM

I would reblue the whole thing, i always wanted one of those or a python
Old 10-02-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
If you bought it for yourself, only you can decide on what to do. Do what pleases you, don't worry about what others think. For what it's worth Gunner does great work.
I have taken great pleasure in restoring old things. My dad bought his first new truck in 1970, a Ford F100 Sport Custom. I got it from him 28 yrs later, with 68,000 miles on it and rebuilt the entire drive train, and had the interior 80% restored, exterior needed to be done (though it was in good shape). I ened up selling it because of financial needs, and regretted it. Sometimes restoring something old is awesome and great fun. Sometimes old things need to be allowed to retain the patina of age, it lends them legitimacy and allows them to age gracefully. I always struggle with which way to lean, as I have done both. This is a classic pistol, and I'm torn between 'restore' and 'let it be'. It is going to stay in my safe, and get passed on to my son I would imagine (unless my revolver loving daughter cage match wrestles him and makes him tap out).....so I tend to want to leave it alone.

But part of me likes to make things 'like new'. Hope that explains my dilemma. For what it's worth, I'm leaning towards leave it alone. Here's some pics of 'Dad's truck'. Just because I loved it. (photo is scanned). I will post pics of the Colt when I get it.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Banned

I'm also going with the C option in this case.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:14 PM

thanks for buying that python. i near weakened; the price was right on it. nice taste and job on your dads truck, lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:19 PM

OK, so here are pics of the King taken off the ad......you can see why I was all over it.

Oh dear, I can hardly wait to get my hands on it!

Old 10-02-2012, 10:23 PM

I vote C, it's beautiful and a little age makes it even better, in my opinion
Old 10-02-2012, 11:58 PM

For what it is worth I think leaving it as is would be best. It gives it some age and in my opinion more beauty showing this classic has been around the block. You can never go wrong with that option if you ask me, but if you get it re-blued it may not come out how you really want.

**If it aint broke don't fix it**