Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-02-2024, 09:19 AM

Default Shed Hunting

Found this shed yesterday. Decent.

Also found a beauty elk rub.

"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 02-02-2024, 09:42 AM

I suck at finding sheds and most of the time when I do find them they are tiny
Old 02-02-2024, 10:06 AM

That’s a good find. Two of my friends have found matched sets already. My shed dog brought one back to the house last week. Was a nice treat having that laying by the front steps when I got home from work.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Those are the ones farmers hate finding with their tractor tires. Good place for deer sheds is in fields where they've bee feeding, no need to go far.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 02-02-2024, 10:35 AM

I figure that shed is from a young buck. Brow time is pretty short, mass is average, and that G4 is just a sprout.

Might be a real stud in another 1-2 years.

Not a chip on the antler.

Also it was pretty much completely buried in the snow, and the last snows we had here were back in the beginning of Jan, but I don't remember exactly, anyway I reckon that antler hit the ground prior to that snow.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 02-02-2024, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Those are the ones farmers hate finding with their tractor tires. Good place for deer sheds is in fields where they've bee feeding, no need to go far.
I have no plans to switch to fields for whitetail anytime soon

I think I collected about 7 spikes, and 1 4pt antler last year. You would think all the bucks were dinky in my area with the sheds
Old 02-02-2024, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I have no plans to switch to fields for whitetail anytime soon

I think I collected about 7 spikes, and 1 4pt antler last year. You would think all the bucks were dinky in my area with the sheds
Sheds give you a good profile of antler size in the area.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 02-02-2024, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Sheds give you a good profile of antler size in the area.
What I find doesn’t match what I see, shoot, or get on camera but I am a crappy shed hunter lol
Old 02-02-2024, 05:48 PM

^ Shed hunting in the big bush is tough. Feeding areas are so scattered compared to ag areas, and majority drop in bedding areas in the heavy cover.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 02-02-2024, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
^ Shed hunting in the big bush is tough. Feeding areas are so scattered compared to ag areas, and majority drop in bedding areas in the heavy cover.
Yeah my wife bugs me to try our luck a few times every spring and we never find any when we try. I just stubble on them at random scouting when I do find them

They are likely just out of sight in the undergrowth is my guess. I know a local guy who does find some nice sheds with a dog though
Old 02-02-2024, 06:48 PM

^ A buddy of mine had a shed hunting dog that was great at finding them. But the dog also loved to eat the sheds.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 02-02-2024, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
^ A buddy of mine had a shed hunting dog that was great at finding them. But the dog also loved to eat the sheds.
Probably why the dog was so good at finding them lol
Old 02-02-2024, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Yeah my wife bugs me to try our luck a few times every spring and we never find any when we try. I just stubble on them at random scouting when I do find them

They are likely just out of sight in the undergrowth is my guess. I know a local guy who does find some nice sheds with a dog though
I am the same: I go out with a purpose of looking for sheds, none are to be found, lol. Pretty much all are found when I am not looking for them. On the ag fields it is definitely easy, lol.

Also, half if not most of the ones I find in the bush are old stock. I find more moose antlers than any others. Last November was, perhaps, an exception when I stumbled on only one moose, but a few whitetail sheds, some I think where posted in the other thread:

I dragged that ^ one home for whatever reason, lol, and it has been sitting on this table outside since:

Both of the ones on the photos were nice whitetails. There were a few more that I didn’t bother with at all.

On the fields, I usually find mule deer sheds, but those who saw my one of my threads when I spent time on any of those fields, they’d know why, lol.
Old 02-03-2024, 08:22 PM

If you check in the spruce where they canopy down low I found numbers of sheds this way just suiting under the spruce. (Mature trees) think the bucks like the canopy and shelter. Give it a try.
Old 02-04-2024, 11:16 PM

Are they dropping now?

I thought if we have a mild winter the testosterone levels stay high and they drop them later in the winter/spring, is this not the case?
Old 02-05-2024, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Glad I am not the only one. I seem to find more and better sized sheds sledding cutlines in the winter than walking trails at my friends farm. Yet during the season, lots of bucks on cam at the farm. Guess they drop them in other areas.