Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-28-2024, 07:05 PM

Default Montana Spring Turkey Hunting, Eureka area public land

Anyone on here have experience hunting spring turkeys around the Eureka area of Montana?
One question I have- is hunting on US forest service land a viable option for spring gobblers?
Looking on the US Forest Service map there seems to be plenty of public land around.

Also, I guessing you need a permit to transport a shotgun over the border and back.
Old 01-28-2024, 08:33 PM

Yes there’s decent turkey hunting on the forest up that way. Yes you need an ATF form to bring a shotgun across the border. Turkey license will be OTC you can get 2 for that area. A general and a 199-00 regional tag. Both good for Tom’s in the spring.
Old 01-29-2024, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Yes there’s decent turkey hunting on the forest up that way. Yes you need an ATF form to bring a shotgun across the border. Turkey license will be OTC you can get 2 for that area. A general and a 199-00 regional tag. Both good for Tom’s in the spring.
Great, thanks. I'll try to make it down for a scouting trip prior to the season. Maybe look for birds on the edges of adjacent ag fields.
Old 01-29-2024, 07:40 PM

I am familiar with the Canadian side having spent a fair bit of time in Newgate and Grasmere. Lots of turkeys on both sides of the reservoir. That is only about 20 kilometres away from Eureka and the terrain does not change much. There should be plenty of birds in the hill country and ranch land. Find some cultivated land that backs onto the forest.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:55 PM

When we are either headed to the flathead Valley or returning, we always see a few both north and south of the Elk River hills. Same goes for as far south as Dickie and Glen Lake areas. Seem to be quite a few around both sides of the border.
Old 01-31-2024, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
I am familiar with the Canadian side having spent a fair bit of time in Newgate and Grasmere. Lots of turkeys on both sides of the reservoir. That is only about 20 kilometres away from Eureka and the terrain does not change much. There should be plenty of birds in the hill country and ranch land. Find some cultivated land that backs onto the forest.
I'm thinking with the mild temps and lack of snow there should be some good numbers come May.