Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-22-2024, 11:37 AM

Default Police want to search homes over hunting posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCV5EPnn6f8
Old 01-22-2024, 12:31 PM

Gun show people tend to think of a Red dawn tyranny type of government gun grab .
I don't think it will ever happen all at once.
I have my license right now although I guess I can buy 22 bullets with it. But components have been off the shelves for years now .
The public grasslands in south east part of province are no longer accessible even though they are public. Other public land I used to access west of Longview is cut off by private people although there again they have public roads blocked to hunters even though taxpayers built and still maintain them. Then there are guides who have the only access to private land I used to be able to hunt on
Now we have unlicensed and untouchable hunters who authorities wont dare to bother.
Plus more and more licensed hunters competing for less and less available public land.
Then we have police basically seizing guns one divorce or other excuse at a time. Example because a thief tell police he was threatened by homeowner.
Then we also have wolves expanding their range.
Its pretty bleak outlook
And to top it off we are not really supposed to talk about it even though its destroying our hunting culture
Old 01-22-2024, 12:38 PM

Default total control

and censorship. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Old 01-22-2024, 01:18 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Well if your dumb enough to post up pics/vids that spark the interest of lawful outdoors people and they report you or if you think LE is not watching social media give your head a shake...I think its a good thing to catch scum.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-22-2024, 01:44 PM

To think that law enforcement doesn't check out stuff on AO is naive in the extreme. Why wouldn't law enforcement scan this forum and others like it.
Old 01-22-2024, 01:51 PM

Did I miss something? What did the guy do wrong? Why was the guy a suspect? If your kids tell teachers you own guns or if you take your hunting rifles to the range or out hunting and your neighbor sees you it deserves a visit from the police?
They are just looking for a way to steal your hunting rifles. They are not there to help you. They don't care about right or wrong or who you are they are just fishing for a way to steal your property
Old 01-22-2024, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
To think that law enforcement doesn't check out stuff on AO is naive in the extreme. Why wouldn't law enforcement scan this forum and others like it.
But simply stating that you own firearms, or that you have your children using firearms under your supervision, shouldn't result in a visit from the police. The problem is that some people believe that all firearms are evil, and that children should never be exposed to firearms. And if you have one of those idiots reading our forums and making up stories to police, or seeing you loading firearms into a vehicle, and calling police with made up stories, the police could show up at your home.
Old 01-22-2024, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Well if your dumb enough to post up pics/vids that spark the interest of lawful outdoors people and they report you or if you think LE is not watching social media give your head a shake...I think its a good thing to catch scum.
Everyone has access to social media not just lawful outdoors people and as has been shown many times on this forum just because someone is a lawful and experienced outdoors person doesn’t mean they know all the laws either. If has been proven time and time again many police officers don’t even know the firearms laws. I can tell you I personally know 2 different people personally who had firearms confiscated by 2 different officers in completely different parts of B.C. because the officers didn’t know transport laws. One had to have a lawyer come into the detachment before they believed him the other had to come in with a copy of the non restricted transport laws. Both experienced this from being compliant during check stops

This is why as a law biding firearms owner you need to know your laws and rights. Come to my house over pictures you better have a warrant and if an officer comes to me about my firearm’s without just cause my lawyer will be involved

It’s more so the headache that can be involved do to incompetence I fear when dealing with law enforcement when firearms are involved not some nefarious plot
Old 01-22-2024, 02:08 PM

As always we only had one side of the story, we don't know exactly what his teenage boy said or did or told people, IF everything happened just as he said then this is wrong........ BUT did everything actually happen like that, again we may never know.

And as others have said IF you think LE doesn't peruse these and other gun / hunting sites along with Facebook, twitter, you tube etc then your living under a rock, lots of people have been busted by posting dumb stuff and bragging about it and are to stupid to realize they are breaking the law. I personally know such a person that ended up $5,000 lighter for a lawyer and lost then paid a $2,000 fine and got a 5 year ban from hunting, all over a big mouth face book post c/w picture.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-22-2024, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Everyone has access to social media not just lawful outdoors people and as has been shown many times on this forum just because someone is a lawful and experienced outdoors person doesn’t mean they know all the laws either. If has been proven time and time again many police officers don’t even know the firearms laws. I can tell you I personally know 2 different people personally who had firearms confiscated by 2 different officers in completely different parts of B.C. because the officers didn’t know transport laws. One had to have a lawyer come into the detachment before they believed him the other had to come in with a copy of the non restricted transport laws. Both experienced this from being compliant during check stops

This is why as a law biding firearms owner you need to know your laws and rights. Come to my house over pictures you better have a warrant and if an officer comes to me about my firearm’s without just cause my lawyer will be involved

It’s more so the headache that can be involved do to incompetence I fear when dealing with law enforcement when firearms are involved not some nefarious plot
A lot of people can't afford lawyers and I believe this is what police count on.
So easy for them just to confiscate which is fancy word for stealing. So they can just take your gun and say you can take it to court but you are going to wait years to go to court and spend thousands so its really not worth your time or trouble unless you are some friggen determined not to let them get away with if .
If the police want to come into your house and ask you questions. This is where people go wrong. People think I'm not doing anything wrong and once I explain and show police this everything will be okay. The truth is the police dont care. If you open your door to therm they can always say they saw something suspicious inside your house. Anything you say they can find a easy to twist around. Even if you don't say anything they can lie and say you were being aggressive,posturing etc. There is nothing good going to come out of ever talking to them.
Old 01-22-2024, 03:06 PM

I don’t feel sorry for people being charged with offences if they are dumb enough to post illegal activity on any social media.
Old 01-22-2024, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I don’t feel sorry for people being charged with offences if they are dumb enough to post illegal activity on any social media.
Play stupid games - Win stupid prizes
Old 01-22-2024, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
So, the guy in the OPs video (that you obviously didn't watch) is scum, because someone reported him and police attended. Another brilliant, and consistent, take.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-22-2024, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
So, the guy in the OPs video (that you obviously didn't watch) is scum, because someone reported him and police attended. Another brilliant, and consistent, take.
Not the least bit unexpected.

There are plenty of people that believe that all firearms are evil, and that will make up stories and report people, even if they aren't doing anything illegal.
Old 01-22-2024, 04:55 PM

It makes you wonder what the guys kid said at school for the cops to be knocking on his door.
Old 01-22-2024, 04:55 PM

Rule of thumb. If they *ask* to come in, they haven't got a warrant and they can't get one and the answer is a polite 'No'. You can ask them to leave your property too. And close door.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-22-2024, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Not the least bit unexpected.
Would you expect any different? I don't. It's tiring but sorta entertaining

As for the situation (I actually watched the video), wow. Swirling to the right and down we go.
Old 01-22-2024, 04:57 PM

Quote:
It makes you wonder what the guys kid said at school for the cops to be knocking on his door.
Saying something as simple and factual as 'my dad has guns, sometimes I shoot with him' is.enough to trigger someone. Why assume anyone did anything wrong? Did you even watch the video? Makes you wonder.....what?

Old 01-22-2024, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Saying something as simple and factual as 'my dad has guns, sometimes I shoot with him' is.enough to trigger someone. Why assume anyone did anything wrong? Did you even watch the video? Makes you wonder.....what?
Sounds like someone at the school administration was triggered and started the ball rolling
Old 01-22-2024, 05:02 PM

Tc of course I watched right to the end. Are the teachers that woke that they called the cops or did a parent of one of the students call them. I would just like to know what was actually said to trigger the visit.
Old 01-22-2024, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Tc of course I watched right to the end. Are the teachers that woke that they called the cops or did a parent of one of the students call them. I would just like to know what was actually said to trigger the visit.
My apologies, I took that the wrong way apparently. I'm not sure exactly what was said, but it seems like it worked its way up to school admin, then the RCMP. The fact that he wasn't arrested and his guns weren't confiscated, seems to indicate that it was a fishing trip, triggered by someone who was triggered.

Old 01-22-2024, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Would you expect any different? I don't. It's tiring but sorta entertaining

As for the situation (I actually watched the video), wow. Swirling to the right and down we go.
One woke fool is triggered, and sends the police on a wild goose chase. Other woke fools see the police, and assume that because the police were sent , the guy must have done something illegal. The end result, is that half the neighborhood now suspects the innocent person of being a criminal.
Old 01-22-2024, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Either one would result in unwanted and unnecessary attention

Woke messiahs out to save the world from us dangerous people.

Sigh.
Old 01-22-2024, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The end result, is that half the neighborhood now suspects the innocent person of being a criminal.
I used to think that way. I'm a conservative and I always thought I was on side with good guys and I believed police used to be the good guys
Whenever there was something in in media about the police doing something wrong I used to say to !myself that there must be more to the story.
Ha, I sure don't think like that anymore.
Old 01-22-2024, 07:33 PM

I watched the entire video.

Due to the fact I do not know the entire story, don't know the guy, what was actually said online by the sibling, etc, I will not comment. Just another alleged example on what is said on social media.

At times, it may come and bite ya in the you know what.

But I will however comment on wannabe lawyer Runkle.

He is a bottom dweller type of lawyer, who likes to stir the pot on social media.

Heck, I have seen some of his videos when he's half in the pail drinking scotch or other malt liquor, trying to make useless points about the flavor of the day.

Most respected lawyers don't do this kind of nonsense to get a client base. He does.

Take it for what it is worth...
Old 01-22-2024, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post

Due to the fact I do not know the entire story, don't know the guy, what was actually said online by the sibling, etc, I will not comment. Just another alleged example on what is said on social media.

He is a bottom dweller type of lawyer, who likes to stir the pot on social media.

Heck, I have seen some of his videos when he's half in the pail drinking scotch or other malt liquor, trying to make useless points about the flavor of the day.

Most respected lawyers don't do this kind of nonsense to get a client base. He does.

I wouldn’t confuse Runkle with Johnny Cochrane anytime soon either. Lol. I am thankful for the legal advice and information he willingly shares with the firearms community.
Old 01-22-2024, 09:38 PM

Quote:

I've seen him speaking to other matters and he doesn't clean up too badly.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-22-2024, 11:16 PM

Quote:

I agree in regard to the entire story.

As for Runkle, I think he is fine for what he does on youtube. I have only ever watched his clips that were posted here in various threads and he always seems reasonable and respectful. Does he try to get his client base this way? I doubt. Is he even a lawyer? No idea (he did attend law school at the UoA).

I don’t mind his glass either. For what he does on youtube that is. Just some laid back commentary on whatever issue.

As for this case, without knowing what had really happened beyond what the guy said in the cited video, I doubt the police would be entering my premises if I was at home. Hopefully, there will never be a situation when such a visit is warranted to begin with, but I do not see a reason for them to come into my home asking questions about my firearms or most other issues, really. Thankfully, we have an ability to use our own judgement and discretion in this type of a situation.

Simple psychology suggests, however, that it is hard for most anyone to say no to a person of authority. Some people in uniform may use that authority to take advantage. At the same time, they didn’t randomly show up on their own accord. Whatever the reason was for the call, whether legitimate or not, sounds like they were doing their job, no? Sounds like the questions they had asked were reasonable as well, even though it may seem like “gotcha” type questions. I didn’t hear anything out of ordinary provided there was a reason for them to show up at the guy’s house and for all we know there likely has been as far the cops were concerned. There was probably a reason they showed up with a supervisor as well, as per the guy.

Glad it all worked out and likely as it would for most reasonable people. There are obviously exceptions because… well, life and people are involved.
Old 01-23-2024, 12:21 AM

A while ago it was common for people to get swatted in Calgary.

It happened to a fully licenced.gunsmith I knew.
Police pistol to the head as he opened the door.

It happened to another close acquaintance.
Full Tactical team in the front yard.
Dogs, carbines and half a dozen cars.

Why?
For the gunsmith, a neighbor called in that a person was carrying a gun into the premises.
Yup, that is all.

For the other, a crackhead with a long record tried to break into his house, and was scared away.
The crackhead called in a gun complaint.
Then sat across the road and watched the big show the police put on.

Anyone believing that the police would vet the complaint before dealing with the firearm owner is naive.

Know your rights and USE them.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-23-2024, 12:53 AM

^ If they used their rights in the two situations described, what would have been different?