Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 11-13-2017, 11:45 AM
rmatei rmatei is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Any reports on Calling? Just looking for enough to walk on.

Thanks
Was there on the weekend, open in the center and ice out about 200 yards from shore. Personally would not walk out yet.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 11-13-2017, 07:16 PM
hellitsme hellitsme is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 55
Default

Went for a Drive today. Lees lake by Burmis a good 4" by the launch. Beaver mines 5ish inches at least 100yards out didnt go farther out. Didnt stop at
Beauvais Lake put sure it is good also. Butcher Lake is 4ish inches. Old Man Dam, Waterton Dam, and St Marys Dam all still open. Caught a nice raindow at Beaver. I am getting excited.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 11-13-2017, 07:21 PM
petersontyler8 petersontyler8 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10
Default

Anybody have a chance to check out pigeon lake this weekend?
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 11-13-2017, 08:45 PM
Mayhem Mayhem is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 892
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatei View Post
Was there on the weekend, open in the center and ice out about 200 yards from shore. Personally would not walk out yet.
Thanks for the update rmatei.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 11-13-2017, 09:16 PM
CPT_420 CPT_420 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 201
Default

Was out at Wabamun yesturday and the ice was 3-4 inches. Solid clear and black. Fished 6 full hours, 3 holes, and saw literally 1 small (lets give credit where its due, he was at least not skinny) pike. These are spots I normally destroy in (even up until last year). Didnt even see an annoying walleye either. What the hell did F&W do with this lake?

Ill be in Calgary tomorrow so I hope to hit something around there. Or maybe hit Pigeon on my way back.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 11-14-2017, 02:18 AM
drhu22 drhu22 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,837
Default

SNAPFisher, I love that first picture... you could name it Boat Launch Cancelled, or Itching For Ice Fishing.
I edited it a bit, hope you don't mind...

Last edited by drhu22; 11-14-2017 at 02:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 11-14-2017, 05:15 AM
Scott N's Avatar
Scott N Scott N is online now
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellitsme View Post
Went for a Drive today. Lees lake by Burmis a good 4" by the launch. Beaver mines 5ish inches at least 100yards out didnt go farther out. Didnt stop at
Beauvais Lake put sure it is good also. Butcher Lake is 4ish inches. Old Man Dam, Waterton Dam, and St Marys Dam all still open. Caught a nice raindow at Beaver. I am getting excited.
This is the report I was hoping to see! Thank you for posting.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 11-14-2017, 08:06 AM
SNAPFisher SNAPFisher is online now
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
SNAPFisher, I love that first picture... you could name it Boat Launch Cancelled, or Itching For Ice Fishing.
I edited it a bit, hope you don't mind...
No problem at all
I knew I had to get a pic of the launch.

Didn't head out this weekend as I had the company yearly books to do and chose to XMas shop on Monday. So I'm not sure on Pigeon ice. I see the Wab report and I would say these lakes are somewhat similar in size but Pigeon would likely be a bit less ice since it is more open and wider than Wab. I'm thinking of heading North this weekend and waiting another week for Pigeon.

Btw, Cabelas was particularly stocked up on most things and it was dead in there at 11 a.m. yesterday. I could spend that day in that place...
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 11-14-2017, 08:42 AM
swampy45 swampy45 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT_420 View Post
Was out at Wabamun yesturday and the ice was 3-4 inches. Solid clear and black. Fished 6 full hours, 3 holes, and saw literally 1 small (lets give credit where its due, he was at least not skinny) pike. These are spots I normally destroy in (even up until last year). Didnt even see an annoying walleye either. What the hell did F&W do with this lake?

Ill be in Calgary tomorrow so I hope to hit something around there. Or maybe hit Pigeon on my way back.
What a disaster that lake has become. I fished one of my usual spots yesterday too, where I would typically have at least a 3 species day, and decent numbers of all fish. 2 small walleye, and one skinny pike. Didnt see anything else all day long. Might be leaving Wabamun alone for a while.

"I'm not even mad, I'm just disappointed."
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 11-14-2017, 12:39 PM
darren32's Avatar
darren32 darren32 is online now
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT_420 View Post
Was out at Wabamun yesturday and the ice was 3-4 inches. Solid clear and black. Fished 6 full hours, 3 holes, and saw literally 1 small (lets give credit where its due, he was at least not skinny) pike. These are spots I normally destroy in (even up until last year). Didnt even see an annoying walleye either. What the hell did F&W do with this lake?

Ill be in Calgary tomorrow so I hope to hit something around there. Or maybe hit Pigeon on my way back.
Your a lot braver than me. Wabamun still had open water on Sunday (west end). The ice was popin' and singin' pretty good too which I always enjoy .... from the shore

Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 11-14-2017, 01:29 PM
fishunter77's Avatar
fishunter77 fishunter77 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 297
Default Ice Thickness

Chickakoo lake has 4-5 inches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chickakoo.jpg (37.0 KB, 206 views)
__________________
Good luck and good fishing
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 11-14-2017, 05:44 PM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 9,979
Default

Well even the slews have 3 " of open frozen ice so I was out on the quad and then decided to scoot through some tall grass and broke through, nose down in a few feet of water, arse high on frozen ice, reverse, hit it hard and out she came...be careful out there...other parts are really deep.
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 11-14-2017, 07:54 PM
sundancedan sundancedan is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Calgary
Posts: 88
Default

Lac Ste. Anne had an good 6-8" of solid ice in 14fow today. Does this lake have any soft spots normally around Alberta Beach?
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 11-14-2017, 08:39 PM
pikeman06 pikeman06 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 402
Default

No its not known for soft spots but usually when the ice is a foot thick it will heave big time around the midlake humps. Haven't been able to fish it the last couple years but always remember fishing tight to the heaves for whitefish. I don't know why they are attracted to it but it always worked for me. Maybe a light thing or a food chain thing or something.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 11-14-2017, 09:03 PM
Troy Cee Troy Cee is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
Someone drove a car on Carson the other day. Didn't check how thick the ice is myself but it has got to be WAY to thin to be driving on with any margin of safety.
Holy crap!!!
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 11-15-2017, 01:20 AM
Red Bullets's Avatar
Red Bullets Red Bullets is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: central Alberta
Posts: 7,516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
No problem at all
I knew I had to get a pic of the launch.

Didn't head out this weekend as I had the company yearly books to do and chose to XMas shop on Monday. So I'm not sure on Pigeon ice. I see the Wab report and I would say these lakes are somewhat similar in size but Pigeon would likely be a bit less ice since it is more open and wider than Wab. I'm thinking of heading North this weekend and waiting another week for Pigeon.

Btw, Cabelas was particularly stocked up on most things and it was dead in there at 11 a.m. yesterday. I could spend that day in that place...
The difference between Wabamun and Pigeon is that Pigeon is about 400 feet higher in altitude. Not sure which would freeze quicker. The higher altitude or the lower altitude. Pigeon is actually on the last foothill furthest east of the mountains.
__________________
When I was young I would dream of what was to come. Now that I'm older I dream of what has past
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 11-15-2017, 02:38 PM
muzzy muzzy is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: lac ste anne county,west of Stony Plain
Posts: 971
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Well even the slews have 3 " of open frozen ice so I was out on the quad and then decided to scoot through some tall grass and broke through, nose down in a few feet of water, arse high on frozen ice, reverse, hit it hard and out she came...be careful out there...other parts are really deep.
stay away from the vegetation bullrushes, etc they retain heat and natural rotting process keeps ice thinner so this early very easy to go thru
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 11-16-2017, 05:02 PM
timsesink timsesink is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,387
Default

I'm thinking of heading out to either battle or Pigeon Lake with my boys tomorrow. Any update on ice thickness? With all my hunting tags filled and this early freeze it will be the earliest I've ever been on the ice!

Walk on only of course.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 11-16-2017, 06:13 PM
Game Hunter Game Hunter is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: edmonton
Posts: 795
Default

Pigeon 5-6 I heard
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 11-17-2017, 04:52 PM
GonFishn GonFishn is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2
Default Travers reservoir

Travers reservoir by the spillway. 6 different holes, all 6” of ice.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 11-17-2017, 07:22 PM
PlayDoh's Avatar
PlayDoh PlayDoh is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Strathmore/Calgary
Posts: 621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonFishn View Post
Travers reservoir by the spillway. 6 different holes, all 6” of ice.


All 6 “inches?” Of ice? How far from shore?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 11-17-2017, 08:00 PM
Evil69 Evil69 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: High River AB
Posts: 221
Default

Travers, west end by the boat launch 7"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg travers 7.jpg (28.2 KB, 399 views)
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 11-18-2017, 08:40 AM
GonFishn GonFishn is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
All 6 “inches?” Of ice? How far from shore?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Far enough to fish. 😁

Was about 20 ' past the spillway markers.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 11-18-2017, 03:05 PM
SamSteele's Avatar
SamSteele SamSteele is online now
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,146
Default

4” on the north side of Birch.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"To be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars- to be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them...to think seldom of your enemies, often of your friends, and every day of Christ; to spend as much time as you can in God's out-of doors- these are the little guideposts on the footpaths to peace."

-Henry Van Dyke

Instagram: @mharder80
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 11-18-2017, 05:13 PM
otto389 otto389 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Wizard Lake,AB
Posts: 129
Default Wizard lake

Drilled a couple of test holes this morning at the west end of wizard lake. The ice at each hole was 5"-6" thick.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 11-20-2017, 07:10 AM
swampy45 swampy45 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 15
Default

Buck Lake- 4.5"
Battle Lake- average of about 5", lots of floodwater and springs. Be safe.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 11-20-2017, 07:25 AM
supersquid666 supersquid666 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 4
Default North of Westlock

Solid 7" at Cross(Steele) Lake P.P....went 150m out from boat launch, caught a ton of pike, all released. Then went to Long Island Lake...same ice, solid 7" with a little top water around the shore....pike were active and kept us busy...all released. Cant wait for gull to open..... anyone have info on Fallis area ice thickness????
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 11-20-2017, 08:44 AM
caddisfly7 caddisfly7 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 9
Default Updates on GP Lakes

Anyone make it out to any lakes around Grande Prairie and have a report? Spring, Swan, Moonshine, Snipe, Sturgeon? Thinking about trying next weekend.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 11-20-2017, 10:02 AM
SNAPFisher SNAPFisher is online now
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,281
Default

Just adding for Pigeon - 6 inches of clear ice at all depths I tried - South side. Fished 10-20 FOW. New spot, no whites seen, 2 walleye landed...oh well. More spots to try in the upcoming weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 11-20-2017, 01:18 PM
Shekka's Avatar
Shekka Shekka is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 147
Default

Obed lake had 7.5” of ice or more in every hole we drilled yesterday.
__________________
- Keep your clicker clean!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.