Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2020, 04:24 PM

Default Making charcoal

Just a heads-up if you're like me and have been searching all summer for hardwood lump charcoal to use in a traditional smoker, and haven't been able to find any because for some stupid reason industry can't keep up with covid demand.

I decided to look up how to make my own, and opted for the afterburner method, using two 55-gal steel barrels. The biggest obstacle in my mind was we don't have the right kind of wood here in Alberta to make good charcoal, but I tried anyway using poplar.

Well, let me tell you, it turned out awesome. After all the creosote and other volatiles burned off, I was left with half a drum full of pure carbon chunks, which when burned not only gave off some really nice heat, but lasted a lot longer than I thought it might. Not only will I be using this in my smoker, but as a bonus, this "soft charcoal" is apparently excellent for use as an absorbent in filtration systems (activated charcoal).

Here are a few pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5503.JPG (165.3 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5507.JPG (182.7 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5508.JPG (172.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5510.JPG (180.2 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5512.jpg (78.4 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5520.JPG (118.0 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5530.JPG (147.3 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5533.JPG (138.6 KB, 106 views)
Old 09-18-2020, 04:52 PM

Now to find yourself some hardwoods and fruitwoods being taken out by arborists.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:07 PM

Poplar wood is interesting. I worked at a restaurant that was using only applewood in the wood burning oven. I brought in some poplar which didn’t cost $600/cord like the applewood...it burned faster but the meats out of the oven didn’t taste much different.

Cool that you’re making charcoal.l you might have a new business opportunity.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Now to find yourself some hardwoods and fruitwoods being taken out by arborists.
Yeah, they're not stupid, I've found they charge for that stuff.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Poplar wood is interesting. I worked at a restaurant that was using only applewood in the wood burning oven. I brought in some poplar which didn’t cost $600/cord like the applewood...it burned faster but the meats out of the oven didn’t taste much different.

Cool that you’re making charcoal.l you might have a new business opportunity.
I only ever use poplar for grilling in my firepit, it doesn't pop and spark like spruce or pine. And for the charcoal, once you burn off all the volatiles and are left with pure carbon, its more or less the same as any other I think.

Hmmm....business opportunity...
Old 09-18-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1894Cowboy View Post
I only ever use poplar for grilling in my firepit, it doesn't pop and spark like spruce or pine. And for the charcoal, once you burn off all the volatiles and are left with pure carbon, its more or less the same as any other I think.

Hmmm....business opportunity...

I “think” the really dense woods make longer lasting charcoal.
But with poplar a person could probably compete on price because it’s so easy to get lots.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:53 PM

I would really like to try that but I don’t think my neighbors would appreciate it!
Old 09-18-2020, 10:31 PM

I have done it with solid oak cutoffs stacked tightly in an ammo case, then turned and tended over back yard fire. Worked suprisingly well. Just not a pile of volume. Oh and remove the gaskets

B.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:47 PM

In europe they used to make round brick ovens and stack the wood in tight.
I’ve watched videos of it, pretty interesting. I’d a feller had an old oil tank, especially the Thick riveted ones and packed it full there would be truckloads of charcoal to sell.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:03 AM

I've been doing the same on a smaller scale. In the kamado grill that I use, I add wood while cooking, let the wood smoke my food really good (there's a lot of smoke), then when done cooking, make sure it's all good and thoroughly lit, and shut the vents, but not perfectly tight. Open the grill, and it's still full of charcoal.

For wood, I've been using prunings from apple, cherry, plumb, lilac, and saskatoon bushes for smoking with odd oak pallets thrown into the mix. I was using the prunings right down to the twigs.

A bbq pitmaster told me, "charcoal is heat, wood is for flavor."

There's no great secret to making charcoal. It's just whether the local fire department will let you.