Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2020, 08:12 AM

Default Binoculars for one eye???

I have a slight problem, I am blind in my right eye and I am looking for a decent monocular or binocular. I have looked at a Vortex monocular but I find 2 things that bother me. a) I shake like a leaf when looking through them and b)I can't seem to acquire my target as fast as I can with binos.
It hurts me to spend big bucks on binoculars when I can only use one tube.
1) Do they make range finding binoculars that show the reading in the left ocular tube or only in the right side?
2)The other option I might have is do they make a range finder that has a comparable magnification power of a bino?
So If you had only one eye what would you use?
right now I have a cheap set of binoculars that I am using.
Thanks for the help.
SB
Old 09-17-2020, 08:25 AM

binos are much more stable, and if you wear an eye patch (assuming you still see light) then you should be able to use them easily.

go to the store and try out some different binos and see what works best for you.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:31 AM

Interesting inquiry. My only contribution is regarding your mention of shaking and it reminded me of the last time I was out shopping for binoculars and was considering one set that had image stabilization. It struck me that those might be handy when sitting in very cold weather when you might have a shiver going, or of course when you’ve got a adrenaline dump from spotting your quarry. I can’t recall if it was a digital effect or if they had a gyroscope in them, but some batteries were in order. They did work normally without batteries though. Camera shops should be able to set you up, I’d bet McBain camera would be somewhere to check, the ones I was considering were Nikon and I saw them in a Calgary camera shop.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:39 AM

I am heavily left eye dominant. I use a Leica CRF 1600 range finder, which is a monocular. It has excellent glass, is 7X24, so 7 power magnification, and except for right at dark it gathers enough light for good viewing. There are no RF Binoculars that I know if that have the readout in the left eye also, I sold my Leica Geovids for that reason and got a set of 8x12x50 Duovid Leicas instead. I have looked at Swaro, Leica, Bushnell, Nikon etc. and all are right eye read out.

As far as the shake goes, you will need to learn to rest against a tree, trigger pod etc. If you are really shaky you can get an attachment for the CRf that allows you to put it on a tripod or window mount.

Last edited by Dean2; 09-17-2020 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:48 AM

Another place to check would be the Wild Bird General Store in the South side of Edmonton. They may have some information that could help you. The showroom is closed at the moment, but they are still operational.

I imagine that a number of their optics customers are of advanced age and benefit from some kind of image stabilization.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:54 AM
Banned

Bob from McBain Camera here. Just sent you a PM...I think I have exactly what you are looking for.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:22 PM

My buddy has a similar combination of 1 weak eye and some shakiness. . .particularly when there is an animal in sight. Have you tried wearing a hat and using the brim to help steady your hand? He puts the monocular against his hat brim and grabs both the brim and monocular in 1 hand. That steadies him pretty well. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco22 View Post
My buddy has a similar combination of 1 weak eye and some shakiness. . .particularly when there is an animal in sight. Have you tried wearing a hat and using the brim to help steady your hand? He puts the monocular against his hat brim and grabs both the brim and monocular in 1 hand. That steadies him pretty well. Good luck.
I shall give that a try for sure.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:30 PM

Thanks guys for the suggestions. And thank you bobtodrick for your recommendation. I picked it up late this afternoon and will give it a work out this weekend on my Elk/deer hunt.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Thanks guys for the suggestions. And thank you bobtodrick for your recommendation. I picked it up late this afternoon and will give it a work out this weekend on my Elk/deer hunt.
Good luck on the hunt
Old 09-17-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Mind me asking what he recommended ? A rapid forming cataract in my right has left me with problems and comfort in looking for more a couple minutes .Ps best of luck.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromcanmore View Post
Mind me asking what he recommended ? A rapid forming cataract in my right has left me with problems and comfort in looking for more a couple minutes .Ps best of luck.
Get the surgery. You will never regret it. Totally painless, less than 20 minutes in the surgery and less than 4 hours from check in to check out. My guy had done thousands and was absolutely excellent. I had never been in a hospital, never missed a days work in 40 years due to sickness so I was more than a little spooked about having someone work on my eyes while I was awake but it was no big deal at all and for the first time in my life I don't need glasses for distance. Better than 20 20.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Get the surgery. You will never regret it. Totally painless, less than 20 minutes in the surgery and less than 4 hours from check in to check out. My guy had done thousands and was absolutely excellent. I had never been in a hospital, never missed a days work in 40 years due to sickness so I was more than a little spooked about having someone work on my eyes while I was awake but it was no big deal at all and for the first time in my life I don't need glasses for distance. Better than 20 20.
X2
Best thing I ever did
Absolutely painless and no more glasses

Sig
Old 09-18-2020, 08:12 AM

Remember, if you do use a binocular with only one eye, you can flip them over and use the other tube occasionally as well. This will prevent uneven wear between the two tubes. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromcanmore View Post
It was the Nikon 6X image stabilized rangefinder...one of the very few images stabilized monocular rangefinders out there and very good.
I didn't mention it in the thread because we got a very good deal on them for EPS and I had one only pair left.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I am heavily left eye dominant. I use a Leica CRF 1600 range finder, which is a monocular. It has excellent glass, is 7X24, so 7 power magnification, and except for right at dark it gathers enough light for good viewing. There are no RF Binoculars that I know if that have the readout in the left eye also, I sold my Leica Geovids for that reason and got a set of 8x12x50 Duovid Leicas instead. I have looked at Swaro, Leica, Bushnell, Nikon etc. and all are right eye read out.

As far as the shake goes, you will need to learn to rest against a tree, trigger pod etc. If you are really shaky you can get an attachment for the CRf that allows you to put it on a tripod or window mount.

I came here to post exactly this rangefinder! Dean2 makes a great suggestion.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:13 PM

This worked for me....

Buy a pair of bingo that you really like, put them in the middle of a suitcase full of clothes ...then fly somewhere for a hunt. When you arrive Voila! 2 monoculars!