Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-18-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
See my post re; cover is the answer, the hawks, owls, coyotes, foxes, raccoons don't stop at the border to check in and bypass Montana. The same number of predator's are are there, BUT the cover from CRP, Block Management, and other State and Federal habitat programs provides the cover the Huns, Pheasants and Sharpies need to survive.

In addition there are more people (and therefore hunters) in Calgary than the entire State of Montana.

There are terrific bird numbers in Montana compared to here. Just very tough access.

Cover is 100% of the answer. We kill over 3 mm cows a year in Alberta between the cows and their habitat destruction, irrigation management, farm practices, we do not have sufficient cover for the birds to be at levels they used to be at.

In addition we are on the northern edge of Pheasants survival range.
I agree with much of your post ,namely the loss of major cover and habitat ....one of the big problems i see the birds facing is pesticide ...with farmers spraying fields 3 and 4 times a year chicks basically starve to death ...pheasants arent alone , partridge and sharptails are in the same boat .

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk