Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
One thing I don't understand is how and why this fellows name, occupation and address were released to the public even before any kind of investigation got started? He hadn't even spoken to any authorities and yet he was tried and found guilty by the media and general populace.
Peoples emotions is why. Its a shock and awe effect. Even if he was let off and the PH was put on the hook 100% and authorities cleared the hunter of any and all wrong doing, It wouldnt change 1 thing about the public outcry.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:26 PM

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/07/28...n-the-internet

American dentist who poached Cecil the lion has Alberta connection ... and this one doesn't hate him 68

Michael Platt_op BY MICHAEL PLATT, CALGARY SUN
FIRST POSTED: TUESDAY, JULY 28, 2015 06:51 PM MDT | UPDATED: WEDNESDAY, JULY 29, 2015 01:50 PM MDT

palmer lion hunt dentist
Walter James Palmer (left) poses with animals killed while on safari in this undated handout photo. Palmer, an avid hunter, is accused of illegally killing a well-known and protected lion, named Cecil, during a big game hunt in Zimbabwe. The killing has outraged animal conservationists and others worldwide. Handout/Postmedia Network
Article

Change text size for the storyPrint this story
Report an error
Related Stories
Lion-killing dentist ripped on Yelp
U.S. tourist allegedly paid to kill a protected lion in Zimbabwe
Zimbabweans who allegedly helped dentist hunt lion appear in court
Links
Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook
View our pics on tumblr
Send us your photos
Follow us on Pinterest
Now he knows what it’s like to be hunted.

That’s the price Minnesota dentist Walter Palmer pays for killing a beloved lion just outside a Zimbabwe national park: insulted, threatened and forced to lay low under a barrage of international outrage, the tooth doctor is being torn apart via a campaign of Internet-fuelled shame.

“Internet Justice, come claim your next worthy victim. This vile piece of crap is into murdering large animals for fun,” reads just one of the countless vitriolic posts about the dentist, most wishing the avid big-game hunter varying degrees of harm.

With celebrities like Piers Morgan and Ricky Gervais weighing in — “It’s not for food. It’s not the shooting, or tin cans would do. It must just be the thrill of killing. Mental,” reads the tweet from Gervais — it’s fair to say Palmer, who’s previously hunted here in Alberta, spent Tuesday as the most hated man in cyberspace.

His dental office was forced to shut down, his websites were removed, and Palmer himself made a failed attempt at damage control, issuing a statement defending himself as an ethical hunter who didn’t realize Cecil the lion was a protected icon and animal celebrity.

“I had no idea that the lion I took was a known, local favorite, was collared and part of a study until the end of the hunt. I relied on the expertise of my local professional guides to ensure a legal hunt,” reads the statement, in part.

It won’t help, and it’s likely Palmer’s life will never be the same.

Certainly not when the Internet is rife with evidence of the accomplished bow-hunter’s deadly deeds, with image-after-image showing the clean-cut 55-year-old dentist posing beside all manner of dead animals, from black bears in Quebec to a white rhinoceros in Africa.

As one of the few bow-hunters to manage the rare Super Slam — meaning he’s killed all 29 big game animals in North America including polar bears and grizzlies — the American dentist has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars for his trophies, which requires winning expensive auctions for the right to hunt the rarer species.

That includes an Alberta mule deer taken down in October 2006, with Walter Palmer still ranked at No. 187 in the Bowhunting Records of Alberta books.

But a dead deer and the black bear he shot in northern Quebec in 2007 are not Palmer’s only connection to Canada, and it’s through the family of his favourite guide that another side to the supposedly loathsome, blood-thirsty dentist can be heard.

“I don’t know of a better man in the world than Walt Palmer,” said Wendy Sinclair, co-owner of Porcupine Creek Outfitters in Pincher Creek, Alta., 180 km south of Calgary.

The Sinclairs have a close connection to Palmer, and not just because Wendy’s husband Brent has acted as the guide for many of Palmer’s hunting trips.

Last July, Wendy and Brent’s adult son Tanner was fatally stabbed in an altercation in Whitehorse, and his shocking murder left a widow with a two small daughters to raise.

It was Palmer who stepped forward to support the young sisters, after making the winning bid on custom bow donated to help fund the girls’ future — an auction that also resulted in the Palmer family making “a large donation” to the girls, to provide for their education.

“He’s an amazing man — he’s a regular, ordinary person. He’s not a monster,” said Wendy, the Alberta grandma taking extreme exception to the venom being posted online.

Not that the other side of the story will do much to stem this tsunami of blind disgust.

Keyboard hanging parties and filth-laded fury are the hallmark of so-called Internet justice, where popular opinion trumps details, facts and any right to a fair trial.

Palmer clearly likes to kill things, and he may indeed deserve the derision of the entire world — but he’ll never get a chance to properly explain what happened with Cecil the lion, because he’s already condemned by the masses.

A majestic animal is dead and emotion has taken over — and via the Internet, a gavel has already fallen.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:28 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Ever see how a journalist can twist words? I wanna see hunting pics.
I sure have. There is only one journalist that I trust and she is a hunter and doesn't work in the news buisness.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-29-2015, 04:52 PM
Banned

SCI Suspended him.
Doesn't look good.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:21 PM

Washington, D.C. – Safari Club International (SCI) supports a full and thorough investigation of the circumstances surrounding the death of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe. SCI has imposed immediate emergency membership suspensions of both the involved hunter and his guide/professional hunter, and they will remain in place pending the outcome of an investigation.

http://huntforever.org/2015/07/29/sc...eath-of-cecil/

Now he's in for it
Old 07-29-2015, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
good lord, ask anyone but waterninja , hes far from an expert on any subject.
Yeh, he or she should only talk to you Brush. You know everything about everything. Sigh.

Last edited by waterninja; 07-29-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn Blair CBC View Post
Wow, Water Ninja, I wonder if you anticipated what a huge debate this post would generate! I am a journalist with CBC Calgary and would be interested in speaking with you about the story of Cecil the lion and some of the concerns it raises within the Alberta hunting community. Some seem to think the hunter did nothing wrong, but they worry that the story will fuel anti-hunting sentiment. Others seem to question the ethics and legality of the Zimbabwe hunt in the story. Either way, the conversation among local hunters is interesting. Please call my desk at 403-521-6153 if you`d be willing to share your thoughts on this. This invitation is open to anyone on this thread. Thanks, and please forgive my lurking. I am a hunter too, of quotes. (-;
As I have already stated, I only posted this thread because I saw it all over the internet, and thought it would make for a good discussion. Never expected to get critizised by cry babies like buckbrush and others for talking about a hunting incident on a hunting forum. I guess they figured that even though it is big news everywhere else it might go away if it wasn't posted on AO. We used to call that sticking your head in the sand.
Anyway's, it really has been a lively discussion and I look foreward to seeing how it all plays out for those involved in the actual hunt.
Personally, I have no first hand knowledge on how things are done in Africa, and was glad to read the comments of those members here on the forum that have been there and done that.
Keep in mind, this is a slow time of year for us hunters, so any new topic, esp. one as controversial and sensational as this, will get some attention. You can only complain about the draw system, or reg. changes so much before it gets beat to death.
Thanks for your kind offer of an interview, but there are a lot of other members who could give you much better information then I could. I do, however, look foreward to reading whatever article you write, or watching whatever show you produce on this subject. hope someone brings it to our attention.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkivory View Post
Fixed that for you!

When she was saving the seals, people listened because she was a cuttie

Attachment 109930

NOW nobody listens because she is irrelevant

Attachment 109931
Really? That's the best you can do. Insult her gender because you don't agree with her politics.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Wow, Water Ninja, I wonder if you anticipated what a huge debate this post would generate! I am a journalist with CBC Calgary and would be interested in speaking with you about the story of Cecil the lion and some of the concerns it raises within the Alberta hunting community. Some seem to think the hunter did nothing wrong, but they worry that the story will fuel anti-hunting sentiment. Others seem to question the ethics and legality of the Zimbabwe hunt in the story. Either way, the conversation among local hunters is interesting. Please call my desk at 403-521-6153 if you`d be willing to share your thoughts on this. This invitation is open to anyone on this thread. Thanks, and please forgive my lurking. I am a hunter too, of quotes. (-;
Oh, by the way, excuse my manners. Welcome to the forum. Hope we hear more from you.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but I cannot afford your services any longer. You are dismissed(fired) !! I will get my news and world updates from any other source available that does not cost me a large amount of money and is not bias.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:49 AM

Geez, the AOF has been compromised by a CBC staffer???

Old 07-30-2015, 06:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Really? That's the best you can do. Insult her gender because you don't agree with her politics.
Hi nelsonob1, let me guess you work for the P.C.P right?

Maybe you will prefer the following:

My comment had nothing to do with her gender, but it did have everything to do with her agenda. So all you have to do is add an "a" before gender loose "er" and add an "a".

Definition of Agenda: a plan or goal that guides someone's behavior and that is often kept secret

Bridget Bardot was/is a French former actress, singer and fashion model, who later became an animal rights activist. She was one of the best known sex symbols of the 1950s and 1960s.

In my view, if she was not an actress and sex symbol, she never would have had a voice or the ability to make her animal activist views known, especially regarding seal hunting like the actors that contributed to this stupid democratic propaganda campaign that intelligent people can see through like cellophane:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015...ing-super-dead If the USA does not sign the Very Bad Iran deal, we will all be super dead! What a bunch of Pin Head Nonsense! lol

Just so you know even though I think animal activists like B.B. are uninformed, vegetarian lunatics I do respect anyone that gets involved in a movement that they feel strongly about, instead of sitting on the sidelines.

What I respect most about B.B. is that unlike most of her contemporary's, she decided to age naturally instead of heading to a plastic surgeon for nips and tucks and Botoxville to conceal the ravages of time that have destroyed her former super sexy looks.

Feel better now? Hope so!

PS: P.C.P stands for, Political Correctness Police.

bardotsplit2709_468x313[1].jpg

Last edited by elkivory; 07-30-2015 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Illegal yes, but what was unethical about it ???
Now that's a quote!
Old 07-30-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH View Post
Now that's a quote!
I'll elaborate for you guys, perhaps to straight to the point.

"Illegal yes, because of a missing permit. But what was unethical in the manner they hunted the lion ?"
Old 07-30-2015, 08:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I'll elaborate for you guys, perhaps to straight to the point.

"Illegal yes, because of a missing permit. But what was unethical in the manner they hunted the lion ?"
Definitely unethical! From what I have seen they spot lighted it, then bow shot and wounded it.

Last edited by elkivory; 07-30-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Definitely unethical! From what I have seen they spot lighted it, then bow shot and wounded it.
using a red light at night is extremely popular the world over. we just don't do it here because it's Canada.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
using a red light at night is extremely popular the world over. we just don't do it here because it's Canada.
I am aware and do not have any issues with yotes, hogs etc at night, but lions with a bow at night? Not right.

Don't get me wrong, I am far removed from the anti hunting camp as you can possibly get and happen to be an avid hunter with a bow, shotgun and rifle.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
I am aware and do not have any issues with yotes, hogs etc at night, but lions with a bow at night? Not right.
what excludes lions? their majestic nature?

essentially the hunting is done in the same manner using the same techniques
Old 07-30-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I am far removed from the anti hunting camp as you can possibly get and happen to be an avid hunter with a bow, shotgun and rifle.
What makes one life any more valuable than the next ?
Old 07-30-2015, 08:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
what excludes lions? their majestic nature?

essentially the hunting is done in the same manner using the same techniques
Simple really, Lions like Cape Buffalo are classified as "Dangerous Game" where Yotes and Pigs are classified as a "Nuisance Animals".

Just my .02 worth. From this point on I will just
Old 07-30-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
SCI Suspended him.
Doesn't look good.
^^Yep. Looks like this is a case of poaching, no quota tag, and shady circumstances, guide and hunter suspended by SCI pending investigation. I can imagine how this went down, but we'll see! Dentist has a poaching history too. News like this shades all hunting in a bad light, and that is our reality in this day and age. Good for SCI.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Simple really, Lions like Cape Buffalo are classified as "Dangerous Game" where Yotes and Pigs are classified as a "Nuisance Animals".

Just my .02 worth. From this point on I will just
the difference is that it's your opinion of what's right not what is considered ethical by the hunting community of the world.

it's fine to say that it's not something you would do. but to say that it's something other people shouldn't just because of an opinion is where i raise my issue.

i would be freaked right out hunting a dangerous animal with a bow at night personally so that's why i wouldn't do it
Old 07-30-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
the difference is that it's your opinion of what's right not what is considered ethical by the hunting community of the world.
Is elkivory not part of the hunting community?

Also there seems to be a never ending supply of people in the hunting community that get caught poaching, are they all making "honest" mistakes or are some outside what would be considered the ethical norm of the community.
I suspect the latter.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH View Post
Is elkivory not part of the hunting community?
part but not the whole. his opinions may help shape the world wide ethics of sport hunting but they are not the world wide ethics of sport hunting. that goes for me, you and all of Canada's hunters.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by depopulator View Post
^^Yep. Looks like this is a case of poaching, no quota tag, and shady circumstances, guide and hunter suspended by SCI pending investigation. I can imagine how this went down, but we'll see! Dentist has a poaching history too. News like this shades all hunting in a bad light, and that is our reality in this day and age. Good for SCI.
Careful.

Regardless of the ethical and what looks like illegal manner this link was shot, the apologists that also reside on this board will see any condemnation of this as an attack on hunting in general.

Frankly, they are doing nothing to enhance or support hunting by attempting to explain or excuse this.

Anyone who calls themselves a hunter needs to condemn this loudly and frequently.

I'm ashamed to see sone of those so called hunters making the comments in defense of this criminal (he has previous convictions) that they are.

Shame.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Anyone who calls themselves a hunter needs to condemn this loudly and frequently.

I'm ashamed to see sone of those so called hunters making the comments in defense of this criminal (he has previous convictions) that they are.
condemn who? i'm disgusted by the acts of the professional hunter who knew the law and knew he didn't have a quota (potentially)

but the guy who shot it who did his due diligence by hiring a professional and paying for a quota that never existed. if the quota had existed and the professional had been honest we wouldn't be talking about this right now.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
condemn who? i'm disgusted by the acts of the professional hunter who knew the law and knew he didn't have a quota (potentially)

but the guy who shot it who did his due diligence by hiring a professional and paying for a quota that never existed. if the quota had existed and the professional had been honest we wouldn't be talking about this right now.
So luring the lion out of the park was A-OK? And you think the dentist had no idea what was thing on?

It seems SCI is taking my view, not that of the apologists.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Since you've never wounded an animal you shot I guess you consider somebody's mistake as unethical. Maybe he missed by a couple inches and hit the lions shoulder ? Easy to point and say unethical after it didn't work out. He's killed leopards, rhino and Buffalo with a bow already so he clearly has some ability in his shooting.
As for using a light at night to see the lion how prey tell do you shoot a lion at night without a light ?

I'm not saying everything was done right as the PH clearly didn't have quota to kill the lion in the first place, I'm just annoyed at the outlash towards the way these animals are hunted.
We bait bears and that's ok, but not a lion because it's ???
Old 07-30-2015, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
So luring the lion out of the park was A-OK? And you think the dentist hear no idea what was thing on?

ok so it's my understanding that they used drags to create a scent trail used to bring animals into bait.

that is a very common technique, in fact i have once used scent trails when hunting deer.

if the drag started inside park boundaries that would be a large issue if not then it was just another scent trail designed to bring in animals. i highly doubt that the hunter himself participated in setting up the bait site and making drags this is the kind of ground work you pay a professional hunter and guide service for.

so as you can see until we actually know what happened it's very hard to judge and even further hard to judge the hunter.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
So luring the lion out of the park was A-OK? And you think the dentist had no idea what was thing on?

SCI is taking the view that they broke the law because of the lack of lion on quota. And they're doing damage control because the antis are painting everybody with the same brush. Same as DSC

Do you know how many Lions, Leopards and Elephants are killed each year on park boundaries ??? It's a common practice that's been going on since Safari hunting began. Read Rosevelts stuff on hunting park boundaries in Kenya, it's nothing new.

So a sheep that walks out of the mine in 438 is ok, but not a lion that walks out of a park into a legal hunting concession ?
Closed Thread