Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-21-2014, 06:29 PM

Default Cabelas/Wholesale price match mess-up advice

Just some friendly advice to anyone who might ever want one store to price match another store's prices……….. I ended up getting one hell of a deal!

So I've saved up for a year and had about $500.00 in Cabela's gift cards to buy a nice auto-loader. Wanted the Beretta A400 Xplor Unico. So I went to Cabela's and they had them for around $1800.00. I hummed and hawed about spending that much money and decided to think about it for a week. Went back and the price was now just shy of $2100.00. I looked up Wholesale's price, and they had them for $1684.00! Cabela's called to confirm it was the same gun. Wholesale's website said the gun was chambered in 3'', while the one I wanted at Cabela's was 3 1/2". The idiot at Wholesale just ended up looking on the website to check what they carried, and didn't actually physically pick up the gun off the shelf and confirm. Cabela's said no price match due to wrong chambering. I called Wholesale and asked the rep to physically pick up the gun and check the chambering. He told me it said 3 1/2" on the barrel. I took his name and went back to the Cabela's gun counter and politely asked the manager to humour me and recheck with Wholesale but to ask the Wholesale rep to actually look at the gun. Sure as s***, Wholesale's was in fact a 3 1/2". Cabela's price matched for $1684.00. So I am now the proud owner of a beautiful Beretta, for a fraction of the asking price.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:31 PM

Apparently I forgot the advice part. Make damn sure that they compare the firearms PHYSICALLY, as not all gun counter people are motivated enough to get off their arse and will most likely just look at what is on their website.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:35 PM

Truth! I did a stint at the Cabela's Gun counter, customer service is low on the priority list for most!
Old 08-21-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsherman72 View Post
Truth! I did a stint at the Cabela's Gun counter, customer service is low on the priority list for most!
It wasn't Cabela's fault really. If the first guy at Wholesale would have just looked at the barrel the first time, then Cabela's would have honoured the price match right off the bat.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:56 PM

Why support cabellas when wholesale was that much cheaper? Seems to me the gun should have been purchased from wholesale.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
Why support cabellas when wholesale was that much cheaper? Seems to me the gun should have been purchased from wholesale.
Exactly.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:23 PM

You missed the part about the gift cards. I don't think Wholesale would take those Cabelas gift cards.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeper View Post
You missed the part about the gift cards. I don't think Wholesale would take those Cabelas gift cards.
Right. Forgot that part. Should have bought camo or something with them just on principal.

Last edited by tchardy1972; 08-21-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I disagree. THese are both big businesses that would not miss any opportunity to take money out of the average Joes pocket. When you have a chance to make it work the other way you do it. IT is not like either one is providing a top notch personalized service

Besides the OP had $500 in Cabelas gift certificates so it kinda tips the scales.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Right. Forgot that part. Should have bought camp or something with them just on principal.
Thought about that too. But like I said, if it was properly checked out by the Wholesale guy Cabela's would have had no problem matching it. What if I was calling Wholesale from out of town and I wanted a 3 1/2"? He would have said it was a 3" and I would have bought somewhere else regardless.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:21 PM

I'm surprised either one of them had any inventory at all for you to look at.

But thanks for the tip!
Old 08-21-2014, 09:49 PM
Banned

I just do all my shopping at wholesale. It saves the hassle of phoning for price checks. WSS is always cheaper.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:05 PM

I don't bother with either if I can avoid it. I support small local shops, if it costs me a few more bucks so be it.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:19 PM

Sounds like Cabelas surprisingly made good on their advertised policy.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:49 AM

I get the gift card part but since gift cards can't be turned back into cash, and you don't get any kind of discount for buying them I really don't get the point of using them. If you could buy a $100 gift card for $80, then it would make some sense.

If you get a UFA membership, which is free and UFA outlets have lots of stuff at very good prices, then you can get a Wholesale discount card that works for everything you buy at Wholesale. That would have knocked some more bucks off of Wholesale's price, and Cabelas won't price match that. Since Wholesale will also price match I prefer to support the Canadian alternative though I too try to buy as much from the smaller shops as I can.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I get the gift card part but since gift cards can't be turned back into cash, and you don't get any kind of discount for buying them I really don't get the point of using them. If you could buy a $100 gift card for $80, then it would make some sense.
I do not understand the 'gift card' thing at all. If you want to give cash then just give cash. IMHO a 'gift card' is not much of a 'gift', and I would have a hard time being 'properly appreciative' if I received one.

Quote:
If you get a UFA membership, which is free and UFA outlets have lots of stuff at very good prices, then you can get a Wholesale discount card that works for everything you buy at Wholesale. That would have knocked some more bucks off of Wholesale's price, and Cabelas won't price match that. Since Wholesale will also price match I prefer to support the Canadian alternative though I too try to buy as much from the smaller shops as I can.
IIRC, a UFA membership/share costs $5 and qualifies you to receive a 'Wild Card' which IIRC, gives a 5% discount on firearms, loaded ammunition and electronics, and a 10% discount on reloading tools & components and just about everything else in the store. It is the prime reason I buy a lot of my stuff from WSS.

Good Luck, YMMV
Old 08-22-2014, 01:37 PM

Sounds like u shulda went to wholesale. With my experience wholesales guns are cheaper than cabelas price. Also it supports cabelas higher prices the next guy mite not catch it and pay more. I know we all like the mounts but they should be closer to wholesales price.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:21 PM

Sorry but $500.00 is a lot of money for some guys. If I had $2100.00 sitting around for a gun then I would have been more than willing to spend it at P+D or CX or any other small shop that's around but if I have $500.00 to use somewhere, I'm gonna use it.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:27 PM

The whole point of the post isn't to determine if Cabela's is better that Wholesale or vice versa, as far as I'm concerned I would rather deal at the small shops where people actually know what they're talking about. My point was just to let people know that just because some dip s*** says one thing about a product, doesn't mean they know what they're doing and to follow up with what they say. In this case Wholesale would have lost the sale regardless because they're website was wrong (advertising a 3.5" gun in 3") and the first guy didn't even know what the guns on the shelf were actually chambered in, he just looked on the website. So I would have just saved up a bit more and bought the gun from P+D if I wouldn't have double checked about the gun at Wholesale.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:47 AM

I just picked up a new Beretta A400 Extrema at Cabelas this week and their price was 1999. I had seen it at Bass Pro a month ago for 1899 so after a phone call Cabelas matched the price with no hassle. The only reason I bought it there was because I had a gift certificate to spend. Whatever the price it is one hell of a shotgun.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ram3500 View Post
Sorry but $500.00 is a lot of money for some guys. If I had $2100.00 sitting around for a gun then I would have been more than willing to spend it at P+D or CX or any other small shop that's around but if I have $500.00 to use somewhere, I'm gonna use it.
This^^^^^^. I buy from where I can get the best deal. I'm cheap.

I wish Cabela's would price match like the Future Shop. They price match to anyone even on the Internet stores plus they give you an additional 10% of the difference.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post

IIRC, a UFA membership/share costs $5 and qualifies you to receive a 'Wild Card' which IIRC, gives a 5% discount on firearms, loaded ammunition and electronics, and a 10% discount on reloading tools & components and just about everything else in the store. It is the prime reason I buy a lot of my stuff from WSS.

Good Luck, YMMV
QWERT

You IIRC pretty much spot on re the "Wild Card" and you were close on the $5 part. This from the UFA site.

Quote:
How do I become a Member

Membership is open to anyone who holds a minimum $5 common share which can be purchased at the time of membership or accumulated through dividends earned on purchases from UFA farm supply stores or petroleum outlets.
To the OP - we weren't trying to determine whether Cabela's or WSS is better, and we understood your point. To be honest, if I worked at WSS and Cabela's called me for price match info, or vice versa, I would tell them to go pound sand. Why should I help my competitor price match me and take a sale I could make. If they can't find the info online, or won't match based on the info they find, then the customer comes to me. I certainly am not going to be spending my staff's time answering their price match questions.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:53 AM

Anywhere that price matches shuld do the +10% off. That way there prices would start to get lower to a more competive rate (for me cabelas gun prices are allways higher for every gun). Hell even on the hometown heros event which is great , there employ discount was the same as wholesale. Having said all this cabelas is till one of my favorite stores.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:15 PM

I've run into the lack of give a f@$k for service at both wholesales in Edm. lately !! I was spending over $800 and the kid couldn't give a damn about my questions! Have to find their few decent sales people to get any kind is decent service!
Old 08-24-2014, 11:33 PM

Thats very true come to think of it i dont ask a single question a whole just buy it there when i find out cabelas cost 110 more. I remember the i dont give a **** service and the insulting service the younger men got before me. Somepeople in the gun selling seem to be high strung these days.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:15 PM

I go out of my way to not go to these stores had better luckin the past at wholesale,go and try and get something fixed or even try buying something,a buddy told me he went into cabellas and waited an hour on sunday to look at a scope and had a list of things he wanted and split with one thing.Was at the counter at cabellas two years ago and the guy was getting me some powder when my phone rang a I had some bad news on the line and without thinking I said the f word on the phone and the guy behind the counter ask why I swearing at him and i said no I was talking on the phone their has been an accident in my family and tried to explain and the guy keep saying I said it to him,he was in a bad mood an took it out on me,i said sorry 4 times and he still never backed off so , and I got mad dog mean and turned on that meathead and was at the top of my voice and told him 3 times to his face what he thought I had said to him with an off added and have never been back in.Their are way to many smaller guys in smaller gun shops across this country that will treat you fair and will deal with you like your a person and get you what ever you need.I have been hunting for 40 years and 99 percent off the crap in the big stores you do not need.If you think you going to get your self a 5000 buck suit made up to out and find the nicest girl around,think that one over because hunting is the same you can have 20000 bucks gear and does not mean your will get the trophy you want.You may think you look good with all that gear but the animals or game half no glue on how good looking you think you are.I have some gamo gear but have to wear hunter orange so why buy some 500 buck outfit to try and hide ,if your a tree or bow hunter that's different.ALL I am trying to say is don't get sucked in buy these big corps and help out the little guy.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
QWERT

You IIRC pretty much spot on re the "Wild Card" and you were close on the $5 part. This from the UFA site.

To the OP - we weren't trying to determine whether Cabela's or WSS is better, and we understood your point. To be honest, if I worked at WSS and Cabela's called me for price match info, or vice versa, I would tell them to go pound sand. Why should I help my competitor price match me and take a sale I could make. If they can't find the info online, or won't match based on the info they find, then the customer comes to me. I certainly am not going to be spending my staff's time answering their price match questions.
I thought of that too, but the manager at Cabela's knew how to deal with that. She just called as if she was any other customer and didn't let say anything about being an employee from a competitors store.