Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-26-2014, 09:33 PM
Banned

Default Remington 870 wingmaster

Looking for another 12 guage that shoots and feels alike a remington 870 wingmaster full choke 30" barrel

Just due to the fact the wingmaster is $700 looking to spend $400
Old 08-26-2014, 09:33 PM
Banned

Any suggestions of cheaper shotguns that are alike?
Old 08-26-2014, 09:38 PM

Well, if you like the fit/feel of a Wingmaster, you could get an 870 Express and after shooting it allot...it will feel pretty smooth. Or, add $50-$100 to your $400 budget and get a used Wingmaster in really nice condition. Granted, it'll likely be an older gun with a fixed-choke barrel=no steel shot.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:48 PM

I'm gonna derail a bit here .... I have an older 870 WingMaster (I mean really old, i think I bought it in about 1980) can I buy a replacement barrel for it to go with this steel shot thing? Sadly I haven't done any bird shooting since that rule came in. What are my options?
Old 08-26-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeHunter View Post
I'm gonna derail a bit here .... I have an older 870 WingMaster (I mean really old, i think I bought it in about 1980) can I buy a replacement barrel for it to go with this steel shot thing? Sadly I haven't done any bird shooting since that rule came in. What are my options?
No sweat, an Express barrel will fit right on, or you can get the original barrel reamed out to IC or thereabouts and it will be fine.
Cat
Old 08-26-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
No sweat, an Express barrel will fit right on, or you can get the original barrel reamed out to IC or thereabouts and it will be fine.
Cat
Thanks. What is the ballpark on reaming a barrel? IC, Improved Choke? Little open for geese and ducks, no? Or am I having another brain fart....
Old 08-26-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks. What is the ballpark on reaming a barrel? IC, Improved Choke? Little open for geese and ducks, no? Or am I having another brain fart....
Actually IC ( improved cylinder) is about as good as it gets for steel shot, steel needs far less constriction than lead because of the lack of lubricity, and when it gets choked too tight , a condition termed "chaotic effect" happens. In short, look at those little all bearings on the string ro see on office desks- pull one back and let it hit the next one and the last one goes swinging, because the kinetic energy is transferred right through the string.

It works the same in your shot payload, whereas with lead, as it gets compressed it tends to absorb the kinetic energy and does not transfer it as much, so a looser choke is needed on the steel, and more on the lead.
I think you can normally get a barrel reamed for about $75 to $100, but it's been a while, and I done my own when I had to .

Cat
Old 08-26-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Actually IC ( improved cylinder) is about as good as it gets for steel shot, steel needs far less constriction than lead because of the lack of lubricity, and when it gets choked too tight , a condition termed "chaotic effect" happens. In short, look at those little all bearings on the string ro see on office desks- pull one back and let it hit the next one and the last one goes swinging, because the kinetic energy is transferred right through the string.

It works the same in your shot payload, whereas with lead, as it gets compressed it tends to absorb the kinetic energy and does not transfer it as much, so a looser choke is needed on the steel, and more on the lead.
I think you can normally get a barrel reamed for about $75 to $100, but it's been a while, and I done my own when I had to .

Cat
Thanks Cat. You learn something new every day - and I just did! I guess I assumed that the steel would work the same as lead in the barrel.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks Cat. You learn something new every day - and I just did! I guess I assumed that the steel would work the same as lead in the barrel.
Remington always made super tough barrels!
Many shooters relieve the forcing cone in the chamber as well, but I have never seen a negative effect that way, so never have.
Cat
Old 08-27-2014, 08:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesilva View Post
Looking for another 12 guage that shoots and feels alike a remington 870 wingmaster full choke 30" barrel

Just due to the fact the wingmaster is $700 looking to spend $400
Perhaps check into a Weatherby PA-08 which comes with interchangeable chokes. Not a Wingmaster, but close to your price range. A friend has one and likes it a lot.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:57 AM

Smile

I actually just bought the wife a Weatherby Pump (PA-08) Shotgun in 20 gauge. Will have to see how well it stands up but it seems pretty impressive for a $400.00 shotgun so far...with a decent finish, (altho a little too shiny side for my tastes)...Action cycles smoothly etc and comes with 3 chokes. I guess time will tell.

Jim
Old 08-27-2014, 06:59 PM

Go with the express, you will never regret buying a 870
Old 08-27-2014, 07:13 PM
Banned

Bought a remington 870 sports man with interchangeable chokes good looking gun wood stock
Old 08-27-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
Go with the express, you will never regret buying a 870
Ditto.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:01 PM

Be aware that not all chokes are rated the same. Some chokes are rated for lead, and some are rated for steel, and some have two ratings, one for lead, and one for steel. As an example, a choke rated mod for steel, will usually be rated IC for lead shot.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:04 PM

Be aware that not all chokes are rated the same. Some chokes are rated for lead, and some are rated for steel, and some have two ratings, one for lead, and one for steel.

Below is a link to a chart that you might find handy.

http://www.briley.com/leadtosteelshotconversion.aspx
Old 08-28-2014, 06:53 AM

you could buy a nice used 870 within your budget
Old 08-28-2014, 01:00 PM

Recently got a Weathery PA-08 after years of shooting an 870. Similar in feel and location of safety etc. I like the way it cycles and the fist and finish is very good for the price. Came with two barrel. The slug barrel has a fixed rail for mounting a sight which I like.