Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-09-2015, 08:41 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Taking spare gun to Suffield

I have antlerless licence for Suffield.
Gun I will use is Sako Finnlight in 300 Win Mag. It should not fail but this hunt is only 4 days so what you do if there is a problem?
Drive back where you came from? ( Some will drive 800 km) Go to Medicine Hat to get new one?
I asked soldier admitting us last year (I was helper) and he told me it was ok to have a back up rifle but on provided form there is no room for second rifle registration.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 10-09-2015, 08:44 PM
Banned

I talked to fish cops and no you can only have one. Sorry
Old 10-10-2015, 10:13 AM

I dunno, I put rifles a good deal cheaper than yours through way more hell than you will ever find on a Suffield elk hunt, in places that I will be way more screwed if something goes wrong. Been doing it on a regular basis for almost a decade without a problem. The equipment I take these days has been with me a long time and I trust it thoroughly, one of the benefits to more or less sticking to one gun rather than upgrading every few years I guess. If you cant bring a spare than bring the gun you most trust.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:22 AM

I could care less what kind of firearm and scope you own, any firearm or scope can fail. It's silly not to allow a backup firearms, but it's their base, and there rules.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:34 AM

Default Bolt

I onced drove to my hunting area (3 hour drive) to realize i didnt put the bolt back in my gun.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I could care less what kind of firearm and scope you own, any firearm or scope can fail. It's silly not to allow a backup firearms, but it's their base, and there rules.
Very true, but its also silly to pack two rifles up a mountain IMO. Or stuff a canoe full of extra rifles when there's a million better things you could bring, or any other situation where weight or space is at a premium. This is not true of the hunt the OP is doing, but on almost all the hardest hunts you will only have one rifle, if guns pull through this type of hunt every day then I think you could trust a gun to make through 4 days of hunting in Suffield.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj240 View Post
I onced drove to my hunting area (3 hour drive) to realize i didnt put the bolt back in my gun.

I store my firearms complete, including the magazine installed if it is detachable, to prevent that type of thing from happening. I do know of one instance where a person had two identical rifles, one in 30-06, and another in 7mmremmag, and he mistakenly inserted the bolts in the wrong rifles. He noticed the mistake when he attempted to chamber a round in his 7mmremmag, and the bolt would not close. He was about eight hours away from home at the time.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:05 AM

Thumbs up

Called Relm in Feb. They had to ask supervisor and came back with the answer that yes you can take a backup. So we did. And yes there is only space on the registration form for one firearm so we explained that we brought 2 and they confirmed that it was ok to list them together.
Eg. 303 British/ 30-06 Spring

Unless rules have changed since which I doubt.
Ultimately the range patrol officers are in charge and as long as your decision does not inconvenience them or go against the posted rules they are very accommodating.

They will warn you that even though you are carrying 2 rifles only the licensed hunter may carry and discharge either of the firearms.

Also. Make sure that you are very early for the briefing or you may find yourself sitting in the hotel for the day.