Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-10-2021, 04:02 PM

Default Warm weather and public land whitetails (question)

I hunt whitetails on heavily-pressured public land in the foothills. My main area is mostly dark timber, with areas of aspen, willow-choked low-lying areas, and cutblocks. The strategy that has brought success for me has been setting up on a high point overlooking areas of cutblock with lots of sign. However, this only seems to work in cold weather. When it's warm out, I never see anything in the open. My question is: with the weather being pretty consistently on the warm side lately, and likely to stay that way for a bit, how should I adjust my strategy? I have a vague idea where they are bedding, but I've never had much luck still hunting those areas, and it's been dry enough lately that I expect it will be loud walking through the bush. I'm not picky about my deer, just looking for any old doe or whatever. Any advice?
Old 11-10-2021, 08:09 PM

See more game sitting still watching game down wind from game trails that cross cut lines in heavy timber not far from feeding areas. Can catch travelling bucks in rut in November. Less walking more watching need to be patient. Will be doing this last 2 weeks of November I hope.
Old 11-10-2021, 08:14 PM

The best Whitetail hunting is on private and marginal land. Fact of Life.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-10-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
The best Whitetail hunting is on private and marginal land. Fact of Life.

Grizz
Yup there is no good hunting or big bucks in crown land bush country far from private land

Everyone please go bug the farmers
Old 11-10-2021, 08:53 PM

Now for the original poster if you are not good at still hunting get into the thick bush and find their scrapes. Sit your butt down and call. Expect short range under 50yard visibility

You will find more movement in the bush and there is tons of deer that probably never come out in the open during daylight hours or at all

With whitetail I avoid open areas completely
Old 11-10-2021, 08:58 PM

Get a couple of friends to join you and push the bush.
Old 11-11-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Yup there is no good hunting or big bucks in crown land bush country far from private land

Let's just say, I wouldn't be hunting the top of Limestone looking for a deer. Lot's further down though.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-11-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:

Ha ha exactly.
Old 11-11-2021, 11:22 AM

As for the advice I gave 2 meat bucks down in two days for my buddies visiting using that exact method
Old 11-11-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
As for the advice I gave 2 meat bucks down in two days for my buddies visiting using that exact method
Ive hunted a 1/2 sec Alphalpha field in 2014 thats had over 100 W/T deer in it one evening before dark with multiple meat bucks in it...ever see that in the bush?
Old 11-11-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Ive hunted a 1/2 sec Alphalpha field in 2014 thats had over 100 W/T deer in it one evening before dark with multiple meat bucks in it...ever see that in the bush?
The guy is asking about hunting public land and gave him a tactic that is working Right Now. Just got a text as I am typing my brother just dropped a buck same tactics but don’t know the size yet

I am much picker on what I put my tag on so I have been passing on bucks so far

It’s much easier to see deer in the open for starters but there is plenty of deer in the thick bush. No I have not seen over 100 whitetail sitting in the bush but I have over a day still hunting first to last light during high number years

You can have good hunting on both public and private but both are very different and different tactics
Old 11-11-2021, 03:15 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teberle View Post
I hunt whitetails on heavily-pressured public land in the foothills. My main area is mostly dark timber, with areas of aspen, willow-choked low-lying areas, and cutblocks. The strategy that has brought success for me has been setting up on a high point overlooking areas of cutblock with lots of sign. However, this only seems to work in cold weather. When it's warm out, I never see anything in the open. My question is: with the weather being pretty consistently on the warm side lately, and likely to stay that way for a bit, how should I adjust my strategy? I have a vague idea where they are bedding, but I've never had much luck still hunting those areas, and it's been dry enough lately that I expect it will be loud walking through the bush. I'm not picky about my deer, just looking for any old doe or whatever. Any advice?

Sit on or near a scrape line or area with both rubs and scrapes…rattle, grunt and listen.
A doe bleat works to.
Spend the time with the wind in your favour and you will get results….ohh if not picky at all a fawn distress brings deer in too!

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-11-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
The guy is asking about hunting public land and gave him a tactic that is working Right Now. Just got a text as I am typing my brother just dropped a buck same tactics but don’t know the size yet

I am much picker on what I put my tag on so I have been passing on bucks so far

It’s much easier to see deer in the open for starters but there is plenty of deer in the thick bush. No I have not seen over 100 whitetail sitting in the bush but I have over a day still hunting first to last light during high number years

You can have good hunting on both public and private but both are very different and different tactics
Like you say its easier to see them in the open thats why I DONT avoid open areas for whitetail and you cant count 100 in the bush cause the same deer could pass by multiple times.
Old 11-11-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Like you say its easier to see them in the open thats why I DONT avoid open areas for whitetail and you cant count 100 in the bush cause the same deer could pass by multiple times.
Too each there own in public land I will always avoid open areas. I don’t field hunt and don’t have interest in it either

I have plenty of reasons why I do what I do and enjoy it. I fully realize what both areas offer. Again the original poster was looking for advice on public land though

Hunt how you enjoy and what works for you
Old 11-11-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Too each there own in public land I will always avoid open areas. I don’t field hunt and don’t have interest in it either

I have plenty of reasons why I do what I do and enjoy it. I fully realize what both areas offer. Again the original poster was looking for advice on public land though

Hunt how you enjoy and what works for you
Each to there own 4sure and i have my reasons why i prefer farmland over crown bush.I have a nack at reading the sign and setting up in the right places in the big open areas.i never know whats in the area im hunting because i dont use trail cameras and thats never hindered me from getting a good buck.
Old 11-11-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Each to there own 4sure and i have my reasons why i prefer farmland over crown bush.I have a nack at reading the sign and setting up in the right places in the big open areas.i never know whats in the area im hunting because i dont use trail cameras and thats never hindered me from getting a good buck.
We are going way off track from the original post but ok

My skills are in the bush because that is how I grew up. I can read bush, terrain, sign and predict movement but that is because I focused my efforts on it. Yes I use cams for fun but there is not a single spot I didn’t set them I didn’t use sign to know what is there first. Big bucks are spread out in big bush country

I enjoy the tight quarters hunting and scouring miles of bush to find my pockets. I enjoy hunting bucks that people will likely never see without putting in the effort to target them. Chasing bush bucks is different and so is where you hunt.

I have nothing against agriculture hunting but it is really just different and doesn’t provide aspects of the hunt I enjoy personally. Hunting private takes away my ability to truly roam and explore for starters

Completely realize quality hunting can be found in agricultural land but to think it can’t be found in the bush is wrong. Most never invest the effort to learn it get caught up on what they can easily see only

Myself I respect and understand your style of hunting even though it’s not for me but it doesn’t seem like you understand mine
Old 11-11-2021, 04:51 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Hunting is a skill set which varies from person to person be it in the bush or open prairie…which really is not that open when a ya walk into a coulee…or when you walk through thick brush to find a meadow.

Enjoy the outdoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-11-2021, 08:52 PM

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I have no doubt that I'd have an easier time finding success on private land. However I don't have any such access at the moment, and in any case, I do enjoy the challenge and freedom of hunting public land. I'll try getting in there and looking for scrapes and rubs, calling a bit and maybe sitting on a cutline. I'm not against trying to still hunt either; it's just hard to have the patience to go slow enough when I'm not confident I'm in the right spot.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teberle View Post
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I have no doubt that I'd have an easier time finding success on private land. However I don't have any such access at the moment, and in any case, I do enjoy the challenge and freedom of hunting public land. I'll try getting in there and looking for scrapes and rubs, calling a bit and maybe sitting on a cutline. I'm not against trying to still hunt either; it's just hard to have the patience to go slow enough when I'm not confident I'm in the right spot.
Sit right in the bush and call near scrapes. Don’t get caught up on visibility you can bring them in close

Get in there and give it a try. If you put in your due’s you will figure it out

This is the style of hunting I put my effort into and if you have a question feel free to ask. I will give you my honest opinion but truth is you will learn the most from getting out there hunting and learning from what you experience
Old 11-12-2021, 07:45 AM

Someone gave this advice on here a couple years ago:

"If you think you're walking slow, walk slower. Stop every five to ten steps and check your surroundings"

Very good advice IMO. I hunt nasty bush and cutlines, as well as open prairie private land. Like others have said, find scrapes, park your butt, and call. You don't need to be sitting on a cutline to shoot deer. I've come across plenty while walking game trails too. Also, a grunt tube will stop a moving or spooked buck MOST of the time...