Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-21-2010, 03:37 PM

Default how far will moose run?

Any advice would help. I shot a bull moose 35 yards with a slick trick bro
adhead. I seen arrow stick almost right in middle of of body. He crunched his back up when I hit him then took off running I left for 2 hours. Went back and No blood, no arrow and after two day search no moose. If arrow stuck it must have hit rib, and liver shot I am guessing. But how far could he went?
Old 09-21-2010, 03:39 PM

Depending on where you hit him, he could go miles and miles or could die within 500 yards. Really tough to say without knowing exactly where you hit him, penetration, etc...

Keep lookin dude!
Old 09-21-2010, 03:42 PM

I'd say gut shot, when they do the hunch it's almost always gut shot. I'd say he's LONG out of reach however like the above post said, you just never know.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:13 PM

If it was a gut shot wouldn't my arrow go through? I seen arrow stick then first bush he ran trough was very thick, which made me think arrow would break or work its way out hitting trees Mabye even a little blood on branch.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:34 PM

Your chances of getting a pass through with a broadhead on an abdomen hit are significantly lower then a thoracic cavity (chest) hit.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse2004 View Post
If it was a gut shot wouldn't my arrow go through? I seen arrow stick then first bush he ran trough was very thick, which made me think arrow would break or work its way out hitting trees Mabye even a little blood on branch.
Maybe yes And NO... The gut of a Moose is big, and fill it with twigs, that would be like shooting into a packed straw bale.

There is much less resistance to an arrow going through the liver or lungs (minus bones) than there is for the stomach.

There are NO absolutes in arrow penetration. Keep looking, I hope you find him.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:52 PM

Would he have a different reaction if it was a liver shot, penetration through a rib?
Old 09-21-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Would he have a different reaction if it was a liver shot, penetration through a rib?
As another poster on here has said several times...."There are no absolutes"

Shots can go 100 different ways and animals have different reactions. Hits can hit or miss by inches and show different signs, have different levels of penetration, etc. Without seeing the hit or video of a hit, and without seeing blood, lack of, arrow sign, etc its all speculation and really wont HELP a pile IMO.

Your time is better spent out there looking for birds hovering, tracks, blood, arrow, or just spending some time in the area. After you have put some time in out there, only YOU can decide whether you need to keep looking or decide that the animal has made it away.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:37 PM

Well thanks for the info
Old 09-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Banned

An answer to the original question,, How far will a moose run,,, a long fricken ways !!!! Unfortunately I have had the experience of loosing a couple to poor placed shots and let me tell you they can go a heck of a long ways before they die.. In some cases farther than you can get them out of..

Moose live in some wicked terrain and sometimes you may have to cut your losses and let mother nature have one and feed the animals. Remember NOTHING goes to waste in the wilds.. You may be out a moose but there are a heck of a lot of animals that were just given a gift..
Old 09-21-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Remember NOTHING goes to waste in the wilds.. You may be out a moose but there are a heck of a lot of animals that were just given a gift..
Old 09-21-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
I'd say gut shot, when they do the hunch it's almost always gut shot. I'd say he's LONG out of reach however like the above post said, you just never know.
x2
Old 09-21-2010, 07:24 PM

If you did hit the liver wouldnt that kill it a lot quicker then a gut shot? Just curious as to what others think.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:16 PM

Default running moose

I know you are rethinking and doubting and redoubting your shot ,Trying to imagine where the arrow hit that moose ,unfortunately that will not take away the nightmares and cold sweats . But in reality when a moose is hit good or bad they will not venture far before laying down to rest . I have made great shots and they have gone 10 yards to 500 yards without a single drop of blood .
The only way to know for sure is follow hoof prints or torn up debris and hope you find a drop of blood .
A gut shot will not usually pass through because of the emptiness and the complete mass of intestinal product.unlike a hollow chest of a deer or elk. Moose on the other hand being so heavy hided ,the chance of a pass through at 35 yards is doubtfull.
If you think you hit him midchest is probably correct but he may have just went in and turned a different direction and only gone 30 yards or so and layed under a big spruce .
Old 09-21-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Any advice would help. I shot a bull moose 35 yards with a slick trick bro
adhead. I seen arrow stick almost right in middle of of body. He crunched his back up when I hit him then took off running I left for 2 hours. Went back and No blood, no arrow and after two day search no moose. If arrow stuck it must have hit rib, and liver shot I am guessing. But how far could he went?
Sorry you lost your moose, but I am more ticked at the thought of you not being able to hit a moose at an easy 35 yards, in the boiler room and gut shot the guy. Which sounds like what happened here. Bow hunters need to do a lot of practice shooting and have the patience to wait for the perfect shot. Even for a 10 yard shot. If you are not a good shot with a bow, you should not be hunting with one. Same goes with a rifle. That's my opinion. So, cut your tag and count it a loss.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Banned

Ame thing happend to to my buddy and me last year and my buddy works in the back country where we shot him and he still hasent found that bull.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:38 PM

You just never know, my daughter double lunged a mule deer, left him, went back two hours later, deer was lying down about 100 yards from original hit, got up and bolted. Left him two more hours, came back, followed his tracks, very little blood, lost him in the trees.
Went back next afternoon as we had an appointment in the city, walked the coulees nad I found him in a very thick willow patch, still very warm, must have just died. Gutted him and he was hit in both lungs, but when he lay down after the shot, must have clotted up some, he was full of blood, just a tough deer..... keep looking, you never know...good luck!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai View Post
Sorry you lost your moose, but I am more ticked at the thought of you not being able to hit a moose at an easy 35 yards, in the boiler room and gut shot the guy. Which sounds like what happened here. Bow hunters need to do a lot of practice shooting and have the patience to wait for the perfect shot. Even for a 10 yard shot. If you are not a good shot with a bow, you should not be hunting with one. Same goes with a rifle. That's my opinion. So, cut your tag and count it a loss.
Geez are you a warm and caring person. sometimes people get excited and things happen that they have no control over. So get off your high horse and grow up. not everyone is perfect like you are obviously you never have anything go wrong and you are the perfect shot everytime.

Keep looking for your animal it might show up. My moose went less than 40 yards last year and piled up. Goodluck and stay with it, dont let guys like the one I quoted get to you some people are just idiots.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:59 AM

Default how far will moose run?

Some people are just full of negativety. Remember nobody's perfect. Keep your chin up, keep looking is all you can do!
Old 09-22-2010, 08:45 AM

Just from experience, a moose can walk 387 meters with a perfectly placed 7 meter double lung shot before expiring. We lost another that bedded for a bit and then vanished ... no blood, nothing to track ... hit most likely in the lungs but we'll never no for sure.

It's very dissapointing and tough to take, but sometimes it happens when hunting.

Hope you find him. Follow the path of least resistance looking for blood/sign and your arrow. If he's hurt, he won't be going through thick bush ,blow down or other resistance, he'll go around it.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
As another poster on here has said several times...."There are no absolutes"

Shots can go 100 different ways and animals have different reactions. Hits can hit or miss by inches and show different signs, have different levels of penetration, etc. Without seeing the hit or video of a hit, and without seeing blood, lack of, arrow sign, etc its all speculation and really wont HELP a pile IMO.

Your time is better spent out there looking for birds hovering, tracks, blood, arrow, or just spending some time in the area. After you have put some time in out there, only YOU can decide whether you need to keep looking or decide that the animal has made it away.
Agree