Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Gone Hunting

Here's your ride>

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-21-2010, 10:45 AM

The original post us very misguided, along with left with the typical solution to everything we do in life. "blame someone else"

Sorry if the CO Office was not open, Only Goverment Office open on Sundays is the RCMP 24hrs a day 7 days a week, then I would have called the RCMP if they were Illegally hunting and trespassing. Lets see firearms violation, tresspassing and Illegally hunting. Yup RCMP would have responded.

Or you could have talked to the guy yourself.

Either way you took the easy way out, and use profanitys to describe the COs office. When in reality your probelly one of those guys who crys when taxs go up to pay for more of these services. Again Goverment Offices are usually closed on the weekends.

The dude across the road from me is a CO and guess what he is always working weekends. He is also gone through out the week. He gets 2 or three days home every two weeks to spend with his family then back to work. He patrols all over the Province and most of the time has to rely on a satillite phone for Vital communication along with his radio if it works. Seems Cell phones do not work everywhere all the time. What a surprise that is.

It is funny because when they do hire more COs you will be one of the people complaining they are harressing you when they ask for your credentials everyother day doing their job.

You wrote a very illmannered post, then thought people would be on your side. Yet you think of yourself as a protector of wildlife yet all you did was try to call a office that is not open, you didnt even have the info you needed anyways, yet you forgot to call the RCMP about trespassers on your property.

I do know that the RCMP have a very serious program about trespassers on rural lands do to all the damage that has occurred to property. I am surprised you never new about that.

Next time call the RCMP they will either get ahold of the CO for you and or dispatch onen fo their own. Afterall they preventing gun crime.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:59 AM

Did the operator tell you that they couldn't get a hold of someone or are you assuming that since noone showed up in time that they couldn't?
Old 09-21-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss.rooster View Post
Any suggestions for courses of action Rocky Mountain Extreme? I cant understand that if hunting season days include Sunday then how can we not have law enforcment available Sunday? Lets say for instance that Sheriffs' dont work Sunday, should we rely on the general population to govern themselves on the roads and highways?
BR, nobody here is disagreeing with about having enforcement on Sundays. However everyone is disagreeing with you for jumping on the CO’s themselves. They don’t make the rules. They are just there doing their job. If you want a suggestion, lobby the government to increase funding to ASRD so we can have full time enforcement. If you don’t want to do it on your own, join one of the many outdoor organizations and help them lobby the government for more funding.

Quote:
Of all the posts in this thread I have not heard one sportsman, hunter, or official of anykind say thank you for protecting our wildlife and watching out for people who break the law
Speaking for all others here I am sure that everyone is glad that you are protecting Alberta’s wildlife. However I think you are getting off on the wrong page and upsetting everyone by belittling the CO’s. Comments like your one about getting their little booties wet doesn’t help your cause. I think most folk here are just backing up the CO’s for the hard work they do.

Quote:
At your earliest convieniance Rocky could you please ban me and delete my account.
Right now I won’t ban you. Too many times we have people that want to be banned change their mind a few days later. Yes you have had some helpful posts to this forum, so sleep on it for a few days, and if you still want to be banned send me a PM. We don’t want you getting banned then two months down the road coming back under a new username because your account was closed. If you don’t want any activity, just don’t post for awhile.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 09-21-2010, 11:54 AM

Rmx, you have a lot of patience.

I would rather not continue this thread, but have a related anecdote. A few days back I had to call F&W to report some idiot; the details are not important.

I tried calling the local office, got no answer - no it was not a Sunday but a week day.

Then I called the "Report a Poacher" line and gave the pertinent information to that individual, including my cell number. Not 10 minutes later I receive a call from a F&W officer stationed over 300km away who is out on patrol in his area. Since I know the officer, I jokingly asked if he was the only one on duty south of Edmonton. He replied (joking as well... I think) "That would be ridiculous! Only south of Red Deer."

My point is, F&W appears to have been gutted and hog-tied by the AB government, AGAIN. Don't bitch at the guys on the ground, bitch at your MLA. The F&W officers are doing the best they can with a ridiculous situation.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:54 AM

I have been following along for a while, I have read all posts and just re-read the OP. Rock great last post, but IMO delete his account. As far as Rooster is concerned, i dont believe how uneducated one person can make themselves sound. Blaming the CO for not working or not standing guard at your gate on Sunday is like yelling at the garbage man cause he only collects it once a week. Please if all you needed was a Thank you then, Thank you. But really you have a holier than thou attitude and that is not going to get you anywhere on here. You did what you thought was right, and that is great, as many have stated there was more you could have done, such as stopping and talking to the hunter. Foremost, you cliam it is not about tresspassing or land owner rights but then throw out the paid hunting comments. Make a point, stick to it. I know many hunters and NO Poachers, I am certain all here value a guy with your intentions about the hunter in the wrong and yet you come out guns a blazing and added a bunch of useless rederic to your post. Be clear in what you are trying to say. No need to delete a fellow Hunter doing what is right, but leave the OK now bash me attitude. It is great you called, I personally would have as well, but I also would have spoken with the hunter and found out what his intentions were. I am not a land owner but would never walk on anothers property without permission. I have made a mistake in my hunting past and was corrected by a landowner. I value his and your opinion, thank you for your concern, but try and leave the other landowner stuff out of it. I know land owners that shoot every deer that comes on "their" land as well, so good and bad both sides.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:38 PM

I know land owners that shoot every deer that comes on "their" land as well, so good and bad both sides.

Really did you report this???

I have heard of farmers gut shooting elk that feed on their bales. But like i said i heard if i see i will report
Old 09-21-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eze View Post
[B]
I have heard of farmers gut shooting elk that feed on their bales. But like i said i heard if i see i will report
My neighbor did this about 12 years ago. And yes he was reported, but not charged to my knowledge. Another neighbor caught him in the act and phoned F&W. This moron shot and wounded 17 elk. Bad people exsist in all walks of life.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
This is a fundmental problem with people these days, it's easy to have everyone on speed dial just in case, but hey if I have to stop the vehicle and actually have a face to face conversation with someone, that is to much work. I shouldn't have to do anything but pick up the cell phone and it's like waving a magical wand. I'm guessing it was a young hunter that proably did not read the regs, as most "poachers" would not take the time to try and spot an antelope, carry a decoy , and his bow while having malicious intent.At the very least you could have left a note on his windshield, instead of over reacting. If I didn't need it for work I'd smash my phone into a million pieces.
WELL SAID!!! Great to hear that there are people out there who still believe in good old fashion face to face conversation!!!

Imagine that! Actually getting out of your truck and asking the fellow if he realizes that there is no Sunday hunting in the area? He probably missed that in the regs, and would really appreciate the insight...Help our underfunded COs a bit and take some initiative instead of whining on the internet! (gawd what is this world coming to!)

As a fellow landowner I'm embarassed by this OP. And now I'm thoroughly annoyed that I wasted time reading a thread like this on such a fantastic and normally productive forum.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:06 PM

RMX, please don't ban or delete boss.rooster. And closing this thread before it gets to show his true intentions would be a waste of all those who read or posted. Also Boss makes everyone else look a heck of lot smarter and well spoken. His posts should stay on as an archive and great representation of what happens when you stay home from school.

And as for his original post.....I would bet its fictitious, something that he dreamt up sitting on the outhouse. Picture someone rubbing his unwashed hands together, saying, "Yeah! Yeah! Dats it! I'll geet dem going. And den I"ll say dis. And den when they say this, I'll catch them and say dis! Yeah! That will geet dem! That wheeell prove what day tink"

Boss, you must have a lot of time on you hands, now that you spent that week putting the local CO's numbers, RCMP and Report a Poacher into your speed dial. Now you can patrol your neighbors and all other's properties in the area, as well, just looking for those bad hunters. All to prove your case that you need paid access for hunting.

There are trolls, but Boss, you make them look good and enlightened.

Now don't choke on your popcorn. Make sure to wash it down with that moonshine.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:40 PM

Old 09-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Banned

Question

I must be missing something. Is Sunday hunting not permitted in the WMU you are talking about?
Old 09-21-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
I must be missing something. Is Sunday hunting not permitted in the WMU you are talking about?
Read the full thread and you'll see that there is no antelope hunting in Alberta on a Sunday. No big-game hunting in any of the 100 series WMU's.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:01 AM

Default This year I came across the same thing, But I acted on it.

This year well out hunting my elk, I came across another man on a Sunday.
But I stopped and talked to him. Did not get up in his face ; just simply talked about the wild life and asked him if he realized that in the 100's you cant hunt Big Game. He replied " No I didn't realize"" Thank you. " He walked back to his truck and Put his riffle back in case and locked it. I showed him in the reg's. and he was very happy. He spent over two hours walking with me scout and talking. Very interesting man, learned a lot. I think now he will read his regs more often also more in depth. I find we are an ambassadors,of the Hunting community. Kindness and thoughtfulness tends to go a long way. If the gentlemen would have made a scene, Then I would have took his plate down along with info.

If I heard a shot in his area I would have waited till he left and then looked for a trace of a kill. Then reported it.

****** CO.s cant be everywhere at once. Its are duties to help out
When we can. *******

If your boss told you to go do three jobs in 3 different areas at the same time,on your day off. could you cut your self in 3 no.

Have some respect for our CO's , They are busy this time of year.

I personally feel you are just as much in the wrong as the hunter was. Lack of communication.

May everyone have a great hunting year and may your aim be true and your game be BIG.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:52 AM

Congrats,
You guys PO.d another landowner.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
Congrats,
Please explain.......
Tell me how bashing the CO's about sometyhing out of their control was a good thing to do?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 09-22-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
Congrats,
He was PO'd long before this thread started (quite evident) and considering he wants 'paid hunting' and is pizzed that it doesnt happen, thats not helping the situation. This post was a whining post that complained about CO's and hunters and how HE should be payed to be a steward of the land. I've got news, everyone out there is watching out for poaching, illegal activity, etc and no one is asking to be paid for it. He's selfish and thinks its all about him. PO'd to the max.

I have a book full of landowners that I respect and treat with the professionalism they deserve. A guy like this deserves a bit of a lesson on growing up and nothing thinking about 'me me me'. His post was nothing more than a cry for attention and an ignorant rant that he felt he needed to share.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:23 AM

[QUOTE=paul1964;687800]This year well out hunting my elk, I came across another man on a Sunday.
But I stopped and talked to him. Did not get up in his face ; just simply talked about the wild life and asked him if he realized that in the 100's you cant hunt Big Game. He replied " No I didn't realize"" Thank you. " He walked back to his truck and Put his riffle back in case and locked it. I showed him in the reg's. and he was very happy. He spent over two hours walking with me scout and talking. Very interesting man, learned a lot. I think now he will read his regs more often also more in depth. I find we are an ambassadors,of the Hunting community. Kindness and thoughtfulness tends to go a long way. If the gentlemen would have made a scene, Then I would have took his plate down along with info.

If I heard a shot in his area I would have waited till he left and then looked for a trace of a kill. Then reported it.

You missed the guy that killed a Bull before the season opened then.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:51 AM

in the OP it says he had a bow, you must have incredible hearing to hear that shot
Old 09-22-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freejoe View Post

in the OP it says he had a bow, you must have incredible hearing to hear that shot
If you re-read Pauls post he is refering to his experince with the guy that was about to hunt on a Sunday and not the OP.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 09-22-2010, 10:21 AM

Default Correct response

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1964 View Post

****** CO.s cant be everywhere at once. Its are duties to help out
When we can. *******

If your boss told you to go do three jobs in 3 different areas at the same time,on your day off. could you cut your self in 3 no.

Have some respect for our CO's , They are busy this time of year.

I personally feel you are just as much in the wrong as the hunter was. Lack of communication.

May everyone have a great hunting year and may your aim be true and your game be BIG.
This is most likely the scenario BR would have run into if he would have used the time he spent trying to call in the "crime" to get out and say exactly what you did. I'm sure if it was a poacher he wouldn't be out there where everyone could see him, and if he was I'm sure he would give the attitude and then reporting him with the info required would be justified.
The first time I hunted a zone well south of here (up to this point I always hunter the zones around High Level, no excuse) I was reminded (by another hunter) that there was no atv's before noon. I had just left the truck and trailer on my quad so I thanked him for letting me know went back to the truck and parked the quad, should I have read the regs? Absolutely. Would I have argued with a F&W officer if I had been stopped and charged? No. I was in the wrong but it was an honest mistake, it was not my intention to go out and disregard the regulations.
I also agree with some of the comments that there most likely was a officer on call that Sunday but was unreachable (due to a service area issue) or dealing with another scenario (could have been on a atv and couldn't hear his phone or radio).
BR I'm sure you can follow up on your call to see if anything was pursued or not, perhaps you can even talk to a officer to see if there was someone working that Sunday as that seems to be one of the big issues you have.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:27 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by freejoe

If you re-read Pauls post he is refering to his experince with the guy that was about to hunt on a Sunday and not the OP.

you are right, my bad
Old 09-22-2010, 12:15 PM

[QUOTE=ram crazy;687862]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1964 View Post

You missed the guy that killed a Bull before the season opened then.
Must have I was only there for the one Sunday during the opening week,
7th to 14th it was on the 12th that I met this gentlemen and did not here any shots on that day. But on the 7th heard lots , and saw three elk taken.
Plus one on Saturday. I was in the wrong spot each time. lol
Got mine just off Breed , well busted them outta there south end got him just off the water hole on top. approx 2500 yards to the south west of it. They came outta the flooded willows on the north end of breed. if you go there wear hip waiters. lol I had none on still in my truck at south west gate.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:44 PM

This dude was coming out of the Pinhorn on the evening of Sept 5 with a Bull Elk in the back of his truck and the last time I checked Elk didn't open until Sept 8
Old 09-22-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
This dude was coming out of the Pinhorn on the evening of Sept 5 with a Bull Elk in the back of his truck and the last time I checked Elk didn't open until Sept 8
Did you see him?

Native hunter?

Just like in the OP, there can be circumstances that are interpreted as being an illegal activity, when they are not.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:07 AM

FYI Boss Rooster lives just north of the cypress hills in WMU 119. He has a reputation that precedes him.

Am I missing something in the Regs.... I thought sunday hunting for archery and birds was allowed now in the 100 zones. Can anyone pull a quote from the regs that says so. I thought last year when the whole province went to sunday hunting it was allowed in the south for archery big game.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:10 AM

Direct from the regs Mulecrazy...

Prairie WMUs (100 Series)
Click on a category below to immediately reach its starting point.
Click on the map to the left to view the WMU legal land descriptions and maps.

Big Game Seasons / Game Bird Seasons

Big Game Seasons

Sunday hunting for big game is prohibited in Prairie WMUs (100 Series).
Archery Only Season are those where only a bow and arrow may be used to hunt.
General Seasons are those where either a firearm, cross-bow or a bow and arrow may be used.
■ Indicates seasons that apply only to hunters with applicable Special Licenses. Refer to the 2010 Alberta Hunting Draws booklet for details.
Note: It is a mandatory requirement to submit the heads of deer harvested from specific WMUs for CWD testing and research purposes. Click here for details.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:47 AM

Thanks rackmaster. I guess I skipped over that part. my bad.