Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-20-2010, 09:18 AM

Lightbulb Wheres a fish cop when ya need him?

Saw a guy pulled off the road yesterday and dint give it any thought. He was packin an antelope decoy and bow. I drove past 3 hrs later and he was parked in a different spot but still hunting. Chatting with my wife, she had to teach school in the morning and I realized its SUNDAY!! Had a couple local COs' on speed dial and of course no answer (most seasons are extended to sundays now, but of course the office is closed sundays). Called two different detachments and still no avail.... Thank gawd I had Report a Poacher on speed dial as well. They did answer the phone but of course the operater couldnt get a hold of anybody either. I did my due dillagence and was a good samaritian.

This is just another example of the chaos during hunting season. Of course landowners are the bad guy but we are the ones who get the responsibility of being stewarts of the land AND wildlife. Watch out for wildlife and their rights, while our Fish n Wildlife division gets sundays off. It would be just as easy for me not to care either....hell maybe I shoulda joined them on their hunt. If the hunting community doesnt realize what landowners go thru from September until December, maybe we shouldnt give a ***** about wildlife, promote this behavior some hunters excersie. After all, 99% of you dont think landowners should have any rights, and most importantly should not get any money at all from governemnt or otherwise. But not once have I EVER HEARD ANYBODY say that COs' get paid toooooo much money. They dont even work hunting season days

Most of you who read this will make sarcastic jokes and spin this someway to make landowners look like the bad guy, especially me, but whatever helps you sleep at night. If your tax dollars go to pay some CO a $60K/year wage that doesnt work hunting season days, then maybe it should go to people who dont get days off and doesnt harss 'your' wildlife on their day off. Somebody who does care about 'your' wildlife. But heck no landowners cant get anything because thats 'paid hunting'.

Last edited by lilsundance; 09-20-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:21 AM

I cant wait to hear the rants from this. Im gonna make enough popcorn for the rest of the day cause im not gonna have time for breaks to make more!
Old 09-20-2010, 09:34 AM

*Post edited

I will join you Axeman

Last edited by steve; 09-20-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:39 AM

I say we don't humour him and make him eat his popcorn by himself.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:39 AM

You can phone the RCMP also.

You own the land, had someone tresspass on it and did not say anything?

To give the benifit of the doubt for the Wildlife Officers, yes the Office will be closed on the weekend, but more then likely the Officers themselves were either enjoying a day off which they deserve, or they were out in the field working and could not accept a cell phone call.

Did you get a plate number of the offender?
Old 09-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
X2.

**** disturber.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:42 AM

I've seen them working weekends quite often....enjoy your popcorn.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
X 3 agreed.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:54 AM

My good god, work for the government and you had better not have a day off, work 24hrs a day and never take a vacation.

Grow up.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Banned

Holy,,, quite the rant...
Old 09-20-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss.rooster View Post
Saw a guy pulled off the road yesterday and dint give it any thought. He was packin an antelope decoy and bow. I drove past 3 hrs later and he was parked in a different spot but still hunting. Chatting with my wife, she had to teach school in the morning and I realized its SUNDAY!! Had a couple local COs' on speed dial and of course no answer (most seasons are extended to sundays now, but of course those idiots dont work sundays). Called two different detchments and still no avail.... Thank gawd I had Report a Poacher on speed dial as well. They did answer the phone but of course the operater couldnt get a hold of anybody either. I did my due dillagence and was a good samaritian.

This is just another example of the chaos during hunting season. Of course landowners are the bad guy but we are the ones who get the responsibility of being stewarts of the land AND wildlife. Watch out for wildlife and their rights, while our joke of a Fish n Wildlife division gets sundays off. It would be just as easy for me not to care either....hell maybe I shoulda joined them on their hunt. If the hunting community doesnt realize what landowners go thru from September until December, maybe we shouldnt give a ***** about wildlife, promote this behavior some hunters excersie. After all, 99% of you dont think landowners should have any rights, and most importantly should not get any money at all from governemnt or otherwise. But not once have I EVER HEARD ANYBODY say that COs' get paid toooooo much money. They dont even work hunting season days for ch*ist sake.

Most of you who read this will make sarcastic jokes and spin this someway to make landowners look like the bad guy, especially me, but whatever helps you sleep at night. If your tax dollars go to pay some ****tard CO a $60K/year wage that doesnt work hunting season days, then maybe it should go to people who dont get days off and doesnt harss 'your' wildlife on their day off. Somebody who does give a flyin (you-know-what) about 'your' wildlife. But heck no landowners cant get anything because thats 'paid hunting'. Cheers boneheads
I agree with you. Had my gate cut 2x this year so taking things into my own hands
Old 09-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eze View Post
I agree with you. Had my gate cut 2x this year so taking things into my own hands

Imagine that,,, they don't have someone assigned to your gate,,

Last edited by lilsundance; 09-20-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Imagine that,,, they don't have someone assigned to your gate,, ..
I dont need them assigned to the gate, but they dont care apparently its my problem iam told, so i will deal with it. Just my opinion of what a landowner has to face sometimes. By the way the gate is open at all times now welcome hunters good luck

Last edited by lilsundance; 09-20-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:14 AM

boss.rooster, what exactly illegal was happening?
You only mention that a guy was pulled off to the side of the road and was hunting with an antelope decoy. No mention of anything illegal.

By the way, why are you jumping on the CO's? They don't set the rules on what days they work. If your concerned about it, you should be lobbying the government on this matter.

By the way I can see this thread headed nowhere. I will leave it open for a bit, but am sure it will lead to nothing productive and have to be shutdown.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 09-20-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I wonder who sh!t in his cornflakes.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:32 AM

Get a grip!!
Old 09-20-2010, 10:33 AM

It is currently against the law to hunt Big Game, I.e. Antelope, on Sundays in emu 102-160 and a few others. I am assuming BR is in those zones somewhere.

BR, I bet the guy just did not understand that Sunday hunting is NOT province wide. Why not stop and have a chat with the guy?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I dont need them assigned to the gate, but they dont care apparently its my problem iam told, so i will deal with it. Just my opinion of what a landowner has to face sometimes. By the way the gate is open at all times now welcome hunters good luck
So what kind of tire damaging device did you set up?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
It is currently against the law to hunt Big Game, I.e. Antelope, on Sundays in emu 102-160 and a few others. I am assuming BR is in those zones somewhere.
so just a thought if hunting is closed on sundays does that not give the officers the right to take the day off ?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:39 AM

I understand your grief of people trespassing . Not sure if this is the case or not . The fish and wildlife officers your calling co's , work mighty long and hard hours . Don't need to talk 5hit about them . Just like you they also deserve a day off here and there . Please note that only Co's ( conservation officers ) patrol and work Provincial parks , Fish and Wildlife officers patrol and work the remainder of the province . Not being a smart ass here just filling you in .

Easy way to fix trespassers , 2 words ELECTRIC FENCE , that will wake em up real fast . Also a little tip , if your gonna report poachers , trespassers etc , get some key information so you can give it to Fish and wildlife officers once they contact you .

KEY THINGS TO REMEMBER WHEN REPORTING AN OFFENDER .

License plate number .
Number of people involved .
Type of offense .
Approximate time of offense .
Description of offenders .
Vehicle description .
Location of offense .
Old 09-20-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
So what kind of tire damaging device did you set up?
None, hell i would forget where such devices would be lol, but its called trespassing when you get caught....take your chances i say. i plan to patrol alot, espcially at prime hunting hours.

I have spoken thats it on the topic for me
Old 09-20-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Last year we had a guy cut the fence in three different spots during Antelope season. Told the CO the guy was Pincher Creek Dives a White Dodge truck pulling a Trailer with a Green Side by Side on it, the only thing we didn't have was the licence plate. With all the info given to him and with 400 tags given out I think he could have narrowed it down to who it was, but instead were told that there was nothing he could do about it, go figure!!!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:52 AM

Here is something to go with your Popcorn, Boss. (Don't choke..)

I'm sure you realize that F&W has had extensive budget cuts once again. Your government may have forced them to not work to save money. F&W officers could soon be paying for gas out of their own pockets to go to enforcement calls, AGAIN!

Here is a solution. Have ABP pass a resolution requesting the government to increase funding to F&W, it could even be earmarked for enforcement. Heck, ABP could take some of it's ten's of millions in government grant money and pass it along to F&W.

Instead of bitching for parking fees, landowner tags, paid access, increased payments for crop and predator depradation, do the right thing and stop asking for more money. Put your effort into solving the problem, not privatizing it to make a buck.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:52 AM

I just had a great weekend. A young fellow with two friends was driving down the road real slow watching me feed some cattle we just moved to the yard. He pulled off the road and came across the field to where I was working. He proceeded to ask me if we know who owned the land across the road that was taking a beating from a local flock of geese. I told him it was mine and that if he wanted to hunt it he had to walk his stuff in (as it was swathed but not combined) and that he would have to leave a note on my sisters front door (she lives on the property) so she knew someone was out there with permission. We had a great chat for about 30 minutes which must have seemed like 3 hours because he was quite anxious to get on with the hunt but he put up with my enquiries. It was just before noon when they stopped in and they were there until at least 3:30 when I started to hear some shooting. It was around 5:30 when I got a knock on the door with three very happy dudes that couldn’t thank me enough for letting them on the place. They wanted to give me everything they owned but I just told them it was my pleasure and that if they wanted to hunt again they had to ask every time they came out and they had to let me know if anything was out of the norm.

I think I made some new friends. Good kids and great day. They even picked up all their hulls.

Funny how some people only have bad stories to tell.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:24 PM

And you all thought nothing good was going to come out of this thread. The last post changed that. I'm a land holder and a avid hunter and would like to say that every one out there needs to use COMMON SENSE,ethics and some good old fashioned MANNERS!
Old 09-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss.rooster View Post

Most of you who read this will make sarcastic jokes and spin this someway to make landowners look like the bad guy, especially me, but whatever helps you sleep at night. Cheers boneheads
It looks like you have done a very good job doing this yourself.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo View Post
It looks like you have done a very good job doing this yourself.

Lolo,, good one..

Not sure what old B.R. prob is but this guy sure has a chip on his shoulder about something... I think walking buffalo nailed what his real issues are though..

Last edited by Walleyes; 09-20-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie pirate View Post
And you all thought nothing good was going to come out of this thread. The last post changed that. I'm a land holder and a avid hunter and would like to say that every one out there needs to use COMMON SENSE,ethics and some good old fashioned MANNERS!
I was thinking the same thing.

Good thing "the new sheriff" didn't react fast and lock the thread up thinking"I can see this thread headed nowhere."

Now I hope boss.rooster doesn't think I am stalking him just because i post on a thread he posted on.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 09-20-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH View Post
I just had a great weekend. A young fellow with two friends was driving down the road real slow watching me feed some cattle we just moved to the yard. He pulled off the road and came across the field to where I was working. He proceeded to ask me if we know who owned the land across the road that was taking a beating from a local flock of geese. I told him it was mine and that if he wanted to hunt it he had to walk his stuff in (as it was swathed but not combined) and that he would have to leave a note on my sisters front door (she lives on the property) so she knew someone was out there with permission. We had a great chat for about 30 minutes which must have seemed like 3 hours because he was quite anxious to get on with the hunt but he put up with my enquiries. It was just before noon when they stopped in and they were there until at least 3:30 when I started to hear some shooting. It was around 5:30 when I got a knock on the door with three very happy dudes that couldn’t thank me enough for letting them on the place. They wanted to give me everything they owned but I just told them it was my pleasure and that if they wanted to hunt again they had to ask every time they came out and they had to let me know if anything was out of the norm.

I think I made some new friends. Good kids and great day. They even picked up all their hulls.

Funny how some people only have bad stories to tell.
Great story, sounds like they were tickled pink, and you may have some more people watching out for your land. I ended up helping a landowner dig 3 cows out of the most disgusting beaver pond mud for 3 hours one evening last year. My wife's jaw hit the ground when I got home covered neck to toe in the rankest smelling grossness you can imagine. Pretty sure I won't have trouble getting permission there this year.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:22 PM

With an attitude like that it's no wonder hunters hate to ask for permission to hunt. Nothing worse than to go to a place with good intensions and have some guy cut loose on you and treat you like you were a stupid jerk to even think the guy might let you hunt on his land. I realize some hunters do not have the best manners but don't judge us all and put us in the same boat and we will try not to do the same to land owners. Respect is a two sided issue.