Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-18-2010, 01:38 PM

Default Wmu 353

Heading out to Fox Creek this week and was wondering if the elk are still going hard or are they just about done...
Thanks in advance
G73
Old 09-19-2010, 11:12 AM

Hey gramps,

I just got back from 353. Saw lots of deer, several nice moose, and tons of elk sign....but not a single elk. I was assuming it may be too warm perhaps for them to be moving very much? It was awfully nice out.

Kevin
Old 09-19-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyk View Post
Hey gramps,

I just got back from 353. Saw lots of deer, several nice moose, and tons of elk sign....but not a single elk. I was assuming it may be too warm perhaps for them to be moving very much? It was awfully nice out.

Kevin
Will be heading into 353 next week (via bigstone road). How are the roads after the recent moisture?

We normally float the Little Smokey - how is the water level.

Thanks in Advance
Sig
Old 09-19-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyk View Post
Hey gramps,

Kevin
Thanks for the update, I will be heading out Wednesday and the weather still looks to be nice out but the over night lows are getting down there..I hope the cold nights will get them moving..
Old 09-19-2010, 09:04 PM

if its anything like around hinton, not muvh is moving because of the large amount of wet snow all night and day and supposed to snow all day tomorrow too. I found a couple elk right at dark but nothing to get excited about. Good luck but bring ur swamp tires and rain gear cuz it is just plain wet out here.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:56 PM

Sig,

I was there Fri/Sat last week (Sept 17/18) and the roads were in great shape. However, obviously there have been some weather issues since then!

Bigstone was actually dusty in places and the grader was out scraping potholes. Hit a few mudholes on some of the back roads, but not anything serious at all.

Kevin
Old 09-21-2010, 06:56 PM

i live here just north/west of fox creek and let me tell you it is wet.it started raining sundy and stoped today plus we had some snow.i was out in 353 thurs to sun and i think the elk are near done calling.i got my elk on fri but he did not call much and did not respond well to calling.my buddy got his on sat and the bull came out to cow calls only.be prepared to run into a lot of hunters every day we called in hunters.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
i live here just north/west of fox creek and let me tell you it is wet.it started raining sundy and stoped today plus we had some snow.i was out in 353 thurs to sun and i think the elk are near done calling.i got my elk on fri but he did not call much and did not respond well to calling.my buddy got his on sat and the bull came out to cow calls only.be prepared to run into a lot of hunters every day we called in hunters.
Thanks for the up date, I am heading out tomorrow and hope with the dry wether coming it will get them moving a bit.
Without asking your spot were you north or south in the WMU.
g73
Old 09-21-2010, 09:07 PM

i was on the north end around little smokey been hunting here a while and im still finding new places to hunt.like i said though there is alot of hunters this year when we got back to the trucks on sunday there must have been 30 trucks parked there.i hope you have a moose tag we seen some good bulls running around some close to 50inch mark.of course none of us got drawn this year.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:10 PM

Got my bull last season, but one of the guys this year has his cow moose tag. 2 others have cow elk draws and hoping to find a bull elk still standing when i get there..
Did you see any good deer WT.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:13 PM

353 always seems to be jam packed with hunters for the whole month of Sept. Especially towards Little Smoky when rifle season opens! But with that said there is elk there.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:27 AM

no i did not see any deer out there this trip.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
Thanks for the update, I will be heading out Wednesday and the weather still looks to be nice out but the over night lows are getting down there..I hope the cold nights will get them moving..

Good Luck Gramps 73 Hope to see great pics of the BIG ONE.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:58 PM

Thnaks for the support and help..