Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2016, 05:45 AM

Default Recommendations on a new backpack

After a recent overnight fly fishing trip, I found the straps on my old hiking pack were pulling out of the fabric. What do you all use for hunting/fishing/hiking?
We met a guy along the trail that had a pack that looked like a dry bag with a roll top. After searching, I've found that MEC carries one called Slogg dry pack which has an internal frame and some att attachment loops on the exterior. The only problem is that there aren't any exterior pockets to hold the rod tubes. I'm looking for a minimum capacity of 75 litre. Does anyone have a good recommendation to check out?

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-04-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robins36 View Post
After a recent overnight fly fishing trip, I found the straps on my old hiking pack were pulling out of the fabric. What do you all use for hunting/fishing/hiking?
We met a guy along the trail that had a pack that looked like a dry bag with a roll top. After searching, I've found that MEC carries one called Slogg dry pack which has an internal frame and some att attachment loops on the exterior. The only problem is that there aren't any exterior pockets to hold the rod tubes. I'm looking for a minimum capacity of 75 litre. Does anyone have a good recommendation to check out?

Thanks everyone!
I was just at MEC. They have a lot of styles. They had a lunch and learn on how to select a pack.

Different packs fit different people differently. I would suggest going down and trying some on.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-04-2016, 08:43 AM

Lots of good info in this thread: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=285412

Even though the title is "For Women" every manufacturer that makes a good women's pack makes a fine men's pack as well.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:00 AM

As a professional hiking/backpacking and fly fishing guide I have tried lots of different day hiking and backpacking packs over the years... My best advice is to figure out how much gear you are planning on traveling with for what type of trips you will going on (on trail/off trail, etc.) and go try a variety of packs on (as many as time will allow - fully loaded - with fishing/hunting gear as that needs to be part of the process). They are all going to fit different and feel different. I used to use an original (Made in Canada) Arc'teryx Bora 80 and upgraded to the latest version of the same pack. Totally different fit and feel and I hated it (took it back, actually). Tried on a Gregory and loved it! For day packs I love my Osprey Kestrel 38 - super comfortable with heavier loads, but that's what works for me. Also, buy from a reputable dealer as they will have well trained staff for proper fitting and allow for returns/exchanges - something you cannot do very easily with online purchases (I have had GREAT experiences at the Norseman in Calgary). Just as an FYI, an "average" pack size for day hike/ "hike to fish" packs, would be between 30 l - 35 l and for overnights 60 l - 80 l - I know the trend these days are for "light and fast" set-ups, but that's another discussion. Please feel free to PM me with any questions you might have.

Peter

-Confucius

Last edited by ÜberFly; 08-04-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:05 PM

For day trips, I'm already set up with the Simms day pack with chest pack. That last trip, I ended up carrying 45-50 lbs in my 75 litre pack with no problems scrambling up and down on not much of a trail. I will be heading in to MEC when I am back from Vancouver Island to check out the selection.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:25 PM
Banned

Another vote for the older Arcteryx Bora series (mine's from 2004). I haven't tried the new ones...
Old 08-04-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Another vote for the older Arcteryx Bora series (mine's from 2004). I haven't tried the new ones...
The new Bora AR line is supposed to launch spring of 2017 I believe. Will be interesting if the new redesigned Bora AR will live up to its old model in terms of fit, function, and innovation.