Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2016, 05:31 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Putting the UN back in UNbelievable

Tax Meat Until No One Eats It Anymore, Says UN Climate Change Report

Read carefully. There's a lot at Steak here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...eat-production

Meat should be taxed at the wholesale level to raise the price and deter consumption, says a new report from the UN’s International Research Panel (IRP). This will (supposedly) save the environment and prevent global warming.“I think it is extremely urgent,” said Professor Maarten Hajer of Utrecht University in the Netherlands, lead author of the report. “All of the harmful effects on the environment and on health needs to be priced into food products.”Hajer and other members of the IRP assert that livestock creates 14.5 percent of the greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to climate change.Sneak the tax up on peopleRather than taxing the meat at the retail level (in supermarkets and shops), Hajer recommended taxing it at the wholesale level. “We think it’s better to price meats earlier in the chain, it’s easier,” said Hajer.Meat“The evidence is accumulating that meat, particularly red meat, is just a disaster for the environment,” agrees Rachel Premack, a columnist for The Washington Post’s Wongblog.“Agriculture today accounts for for one-third of global greenhouse gas emissions that promote global warming,” says Premack, “and half of those agriculture emissions come from livestock.”“Agriculture consumes 80 percent of water in the US – most of that being for meat, says Premack. “… For a kilogram of red meat, you need considerably more water than for plant products.”“Meanwhile, Denmark is considering a recommendation from its ethics council that all red meats should be taxed,” Premack continues. “The council argued in May that Danes were “ethically obliged” to reduce their consumption to curb greenhouse gas emissions.”The IRP report, which was released in May, “deserves serious consideration in the United States,” said Premack.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-03-2016, 05:41 PM

Default tax

How will they tax my moose? With the tag maybe. Another cash grab.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Banned

I really hope I don't see any AGW believers eating red meat.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:48 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
I really hope I don't see any AGW believers eating red meat.
I'd like to see them eat crow.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:58 PM

So once all the domestic food animals are eliminated, then wild animals will be next. Then we eliminate the dogs, cats and other pets that use up our water and resources.

Better of to just distance ourselves from the UN.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So once all the domestic food animals are eliminated, then wild animals will be next. Then we eliminate the dogs, cats and other pets that use up our water and resources.

Better of to just distance ourselves from the UN.
Yep, the fact that we are still a member of that loony bin full of psychos, dictators and baby touchers is sickening.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Yep, the fact that we are still a member of that loony bin full of psychos, dictators and baby touchers is sickening.
Yup, and Justin believes we should welcome them into our lives.

Grizz
Old 08-03-2016, 06:30 PM

As I understand it, the major flaw in the theory of folks like this is the presumption that land used for grazing cattle could instead be used for raising food crops. Go out to ranching country in someplace like Nevada and try to grow anything but grass without a whole lotta irrigation.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:31 PM

Default thank goodness

We got rid of all those greenhouse gas emitting dinosaurs they caused so much global warming there was an ice age that wiped them out.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith View Post
As I understand it, the major flaw in the theory of folks like this is the presumption that land used for grazing cattle could instead be used for raising food crops. Go out to ranching country in someplace like Nevada and try to grow anything but grass without a whole lotta irrigation.
This is the way I see it too. These suggestions are starting to become ridiculous.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:57 PM

Default Brilliant

I guess that's why China and India (where most people hardly ever see much meat, because it is prohibitively expensive or just unavailable) produce many multiples of the greenhouse gases produced by "Western" meat-eating nations (?). It has nothing to do with the real problem which is studiously avoided by all such social engineers, being human over-population - period, obvious, common sense, but somehow "taboo" (?).

Half way through reading this nonsense I dropped my celery stick snack (a very water and fertilizer intensive form of produce, which requires more calories of effort to eat than it produces when consumed) in the compost and resolved to get with the program (?).

Does anyone here subscribe to National Geographic, as I have done for about 50 years? This month the major articles were about the depletion of ground water aquifers, in the US in particular (where the Ogalalla is literally done or almost done in some areas and in serious danger of being completely depleted in others). While feedlots in Kansas and vicinity are a very serious contributor to this impending disaster (directly and indirectly to the extent the crop production goes to livestock feed), irrigation for unrelated crop production is an even bigger "villain". And that goes to the fact of the need for such industrial production due to the population already exceeding the capacity of the earth to sustain it.

Has anyone heard of or researched the disaster of the Aral Sea, which is now located in the former USSR republics of Kazakstan and Uzbekistan (sp?). The Soviets decided it was a good idea to divert a huge percentage of the rivers' water flow which sustained it (and a fairly productive commercial fishery in a mildly saline lake, formerly the 4th largest inland lake on earth) to crop irrigation (largely rice) about 50 years back. It's former extent is now about 80% dry salt flats, the fishery is dead, and the irrigated lands are mostly barren, due to saline accumulation and/or simple lack of water. Little or nothing to do with meat production. Everything to do with altering the natural systems to try and feed an unsustainable human population level.

So, yeah, government taxation of meat is a great solution - as if it wasn't already highly taxed, as to input and sales taxes and income taxes of the producers. What we clearly need is more rice-eating adminocrats (though they won't be eating any rice imported from Uzbekistan?) engineering our food preferences, for our greater good.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:17 PM

Soylent green is the answer to our food problems.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Soylent green is the answer to our food problems.
Yeah, but the flavor is inconsistent. It varies from person to person...
Old 08-03-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
Yeah, but the flavor is inconsistent. It varies from person to person...

Zing!
Old 08-03-2016, 08:40 PM
Gone Hunting

Trump is against the tax and Hillary is in favor of it. I think.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:53 PM

Now a lot of cows live in forested grazing areas. To feed the world protein from vegetables one needs to use a combination of intensive agriculture with increased herbicides and pesticides and fertilizers as well and GMO's.

To turn people off meat and into vegans we need to clear more land and trees are a solid sink for CO2.

Oh well.

Fun times we live in.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-03-2016, 08:56 PM

Hey, aren't we always saying more greenhouse gases from cows than cars?
Old 08-03-2016, 09:59 PM

Smile

People just need to be more proactive and do like I did and teach their cows to be more polite and not to FART. On the rare occasion that one of my cows does, I am teaching them to say "excuse me".
Old 08-03-2016, 10:10 PM

You just need to pre-season your beef...

http://news.wgbh.org/2016/05/12/scie...climate-change

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:02 PM

It's getting STUPIDER there every day....