Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Should motorcycles park on the sidewalk?
Yes 33 17.01%
No 161 82.99%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2016, 01:41 PM

I normally wouldn't park my bike on the sidewalk but I can certainly understand why someone would want to.
I parked in a big empty car parking lot once and there was only one other vehicle in the lot and it was parked at least 100 feet away from me. I had no sooner walked away and heard a big crash as the moron in the one other vehicle, backed all the way across the lot and smashed into my bike.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
i ride for years and never parked in a sidewalk unless like I. Them picture there was a designated spot for bikes .
Bikers at Tim Horton's up here don't seem to have an issue parking in proper vehicle parking spots .
Cat
The spot I mentioned, Cineplex south common in Edmonton, is a parking disaster, people end up parking blocks away because the lot fills up just about the whole weekend. They do have a substantial sidewalk that extends most of the way around the front half, a good portion of which is relatively unused by pedestrians, and due to the shape of the building there are some out of the way corners and alcove type places where a bike or 6 isn't bothering anyone.

Now tell me would you rather have some bikes parked on a sidewalk, out of the way where they aren't bothering anyone- or would you rather have them taking up a parking stall each and forcing you to park further away from the theater still? When I lived in Edmonton Cineplex was fine with the bikes being parked on the walk, now they aren't probably due to people behaving in the manner I described in my previous post, not because they welcome the parking nightmare....

In any case, if you go to places like this on any given weekend you will see far more ignorant things done in the parking lot itself, by non bikers, in an attempt to deal with the congested parking. Compared to parking people in or driving your pickup halfway up onto an island with the other half sticking out into the lane.... a motorcycle parked out of the way on a sidewalk is barely even worth griping about, regardless of what bylaw Bob has to say about it. Now that I live in a small town where there is always enough parking I don't park on the sidewalk, it simply isn't needed.

Last edited by Bushleague; 08-03-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Good points

I was thinking I could likely park my old Shadow relatively easily on a sidewalk, but now I am riding an Electraglide, different story altogether. It's a lot heavier bike.

If I owned the property, I likely would see riders duck walking larger cruisers on my sidewalk as a liability nightmare.
Exactly the variables and concerns I was talking about.... plus, no matter what bike you ride and regardless of the situation, duck walking makes you look like a knob.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
The spot I mentioned, Cineplex south common in Edmonton, is a parking disaster, people end up parking blocks away because the lot fills up just about the whole weekend. They do have a substantial sidewalk that extends most of the way around the front half, a good portion of which is relatively unused by pedestrians, and due to the shape of the building there are some out of the way corners and alcove type places where a bike or 6 isn't bothering anyone.

Now tell me would you rather have some bikes parked on a sidewalk, out of the way where they aren't bothering anyone- or would you rather have them taking up a parking stall each and forcing you to park further away from the theater still? When I lived in Edmonton Cineplex was fine with the bikes being parked on the walk, now they aren't probably due to people behaving in the manner I described in my previous post, not because they welcome the parking nightmare....

In any case, if you go to places like this on any given weekend you will see far more ignorant things done in the parking lot itself, by non bikers, in an attempt to deal with the congested parking. Compared to parking people in or driving your pickup halfway up onto an island with the other half sticking out into the lane.... a motorcycle parked out of the way on a sidewalk is barely even worth griping about, regardless of what bylaw Bob has to say about it. Now that I live in a small town where there is always enough parking I don't park on the sidewalk, it simply isn't needed.
I don't park my lifted long box crew anywhere where it's congested either and would rather walk that get it rubbed or scratched.
Parking a motorcycle out of the way is not what wee are talking about, we are talking about blocking side walks.

Cat
Old 08-03-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
Who's angry? (Example)

Its a lot easier to get the domino effect when parked like this

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:34 PM

Not on a sidewalk.. In the photo those bikes are not parked ON the sidewalk, they are parked on the spaghetti places property beside the sidewalk. The sidewalks are not big enough in the malls for two people to pass walking much less some guy parking a bike there yet--unless you don't like the bike any more.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Parking a motorcycle out of the way is not what wee are talking about, we are talking about blocking side walks.
Cat
Uhhh, no actually, we're not. The thread was derailed into all kinds of situation the OP was specifically NOT talking about. He wasn't talking about being a DB and blocking pedestrians, or being in the way at all. What the Poll question is about, and what the OP was talking about is the exact opposite, and he even gave a picture to describe what he was talking about, where even those opposed to the idea agreed would be okay with.

Quote:
If given the opportunity to park on the sidewalk, would you do it if there is ample amounts of room and it's out of the way of foot traffic?
And as has been shown, almost all establishments are okay with this kind of parking, as it frees up full size vehicle parking, and increases customer base.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:50 PM

And who decides if it is or is not blocking the sidewalk ?? Dumb idea. As stated before good dominos effect though--whoops.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I've never done it as I always park in the parking lot.

But what I have seen is more and more bikes parking on the sidewalk, usually in a plaza or something of the sort where there are large sidewalks.

Without going into the legalities of it all, is this slowly turning into an appropriate thing to do?

If given the opportunity to park on the sidewalk, would you do it if there is ample amounts of room and it's out of the way of foot traffic?
If your seeing bikes parked near the front doors or front widows of large retail properties it generally means private property and they may or may not have you towed.

If you try on City Property then see how fast you are ticketed and a tow truck is summoned to remove your bike.

I am not suggesting you personally when i say ''you''...

there are enough idiots making those of us who ride respective of others that we dont need another excuse to have unwanted attention drawn towards us.
ATGATT .
Rob
Old 08-03-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
There is lots of parking for motorcycles there call parking spots.

Mack
True but I don't think it's appropriate to charge riders the same rate as car drivers when they take much less room. And the limited motorcycle parking only opened up in city lots long after a person could ride them this year.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:53 PM

If the sidewalk is on private property and the business is OK with it then yes. Park the bike there.
If not, no.

Pretty simple.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:58 PM

If it's not blocking or impeding pedestrians, by all means.... Please park your bike on the sidewalk. Why wouldn't people in cars and trucks like this idea? Only one answer.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:09 PM

I voted no. If there is designated motorcycle parking, sure - but then I would consider it motor cycle parking, not a side walk. In the picture posted I would not consider that the sidewalk (as it looks as thought the two bikes on the right are actually parked in dirt, pretty near in the bushes), be no different than crossing the sidewalk in a truck to pull into the Wal-Mart parking lot.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
True but I don't think it's appropriate to charge riders the same rate as car drivers when they take much less room. And the limited motorcycle parking only opened up in city lots long after a person could ride them this year.
So by your way of thinking a smart car should park cheaper then a dodge dually.

As it is bike can park in a spot for cars but a car can't park in a spot for bikes.

But I still don't think either belongs on the sidewalk.

Mack
Old 08-04-2016, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post
And who decides if it is or is not blocking the sidewalk ?? Dumb idea. As stated before good dominos effect though--whoops.
Meh, do your worst. You cant put my bike through any more hell than I do pretty much every time I ride it. Like I tell my wife..."If I never wiped out I wouldn't know when to come home"

Old 08-04-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
If it's not blocking or impeding pedestrians, by all means.... Please park your bike on the sidewalk. Why wouldn't people in cars and trucks like this idea? Only one answer.
Right on moose... For some that don't ride they will never see the common sense part of it (freeing up parking spots for cars & bothering nobody) and think it's an entitlement thing or "if I can't then neither can you" attitude. If it's out of the way and not obstructing anything then why not? Who's getting hurt? aside from some people's feelings cause they can't park there. Is it any wounder when most bikers set out they get into the mindset that every car is out to kill them?
Old 08-04-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Right on moose... For some that don't ride they will never see the common sense part of it (freeing up parking spots for cars & bothering nobody) and think it's an entitlement thing or "if I can't then neither can you" attitude. If it's out of the way and not obstructing anything then why not? Who's getting hurt? aside from some people's feelings cause they can't park there. Is it any wounder when most bikers set out they get into the mindset that every car is out to kill them?
x100 this is more or less about the best assessment of the logic that has been applied to this thread. The only reason I can see for any logical human to have a problem with a bike freeing up parking spaces without inconveniencing anyone is just plain old jealosy... which is a pretty illogical way to look at things. The driver of the crew cab ends up more inconvenienced than the guy on the bike if riders are forced to use up parking spaces in congested areas.

Without using the sidewalk I can ALWAYS find a convenient spot to stash my bike... not so much with my car or pickup truck.

Last edited by Bushleague; 08-04-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:19 PM

Google street view shows that there are signs there now advising that is private property and unauthorized vehicles will be towed away. It looks like the business wasn't cool with it.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF View Post
Google street view shows that there are signs there now advising that is private property and unauthorized vehicles will be towed away. It looks like the business wasn't cool with it.
Do you mean the Old Spaghetti House?
Old 08-04-2016, 01:13 PM

you gotta love it when each motorcycle in a parking lot takes up one car space, when we have often parked 3 bikes in a spot to be considerate to car drivers. Or you take up 3 or 4 parking meters for said bikes and common sense would dictate that you could fit at least 2 bikes per spot and let 2 cars also park. This world is not for those with common sense. If places such as the huge cement pads often found at the end of the parking lanes at malls are empty, why not park on them. It is not like most bikes restrict any noticeable view for traffic.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Right on! My view exactly.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
you gotta love it when each motorcycle in a parking lot takes up one car space, when we have often parked 3 bikes in a spot to be considerate to car drivers. Or you take up 3 or 4 parking meters for said bikes and common sense would dictate that you could fit at least 2 bikes per spot and let 2 cars also park. This world is not for those with common sense. If places such as the huge cement pads often found at the end of the parking lanes at malls are empty, why not park on them. It is not like most bikes restrict any noticeable view for traffic.
The same reaction by the same people whenever "legal lane splitting" is discussed.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Perfect example of common sense being used. Not wasting parking spaces, and completely out of the way and not bothering anyone. I'm all for it.
are those bikes parked on private property or the sidewalk?

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 08-04-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Do you mean the Old Spaghetti House?
Yes. Clearly and prominently placed in 3 locations on the same side.
There does appear to be motorcycle parking allowed on the sidewalk around the other side now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg no bikes.jpg (52.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg bikes allowed.JPG (36.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-04-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Meh, do your worst. You cant put my bike through any more hell than I do pretty much every time I ride it. Like I tell my wife..."If I never wiped out I wouldn't know when to come home"

Atta Boy, show them hippster dufouses how its done !!!
Gotta love the view and the smells too.
Beats the coffee shop wannabes every time.
ATGATT!
Rob
Old 08-04-2016, 09:30 PM

Wouldn't the Harleys leak oil all over the sidewalk?
Old 08-04-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Wouldn't the Harleys leak oil all over the sidewalk?

Mine won't!
Old 08-04-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
If the sidewalk is on private property and the business is OK with it then yes. Park the bike there.
If not, no.

Pretty simple.
This should be all there is to this discussion.

/thread
Old 08-04-2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Have been riding for over 40 years never parked on a sidewalk never will it's a friggen side walk. It don't matter if it is out of the way or not it just adds fuel to the war against bikes and bikers.....but that's OK as long as you feel entitled.

Mack
Old 08-05-2016, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
This first part is true when riding with others, but when you are riding by yourself do you park your bike in a small corner of the stall so some other random rider might see it and share with you? or do you take up as much of the stall as you can so that some ******* doesn't try to fit his compact car in there beside your bike? I know what practically everyone does when parking a single bike. As well it would feel a bit presumptuous to me to just run my bike into whatever unoccupied space I could find in a partly used parking stall next to some stranger's bike.

In the absence of marked parking stalls obviously things will be different.