Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-25-2016, 07:04 AM

Default Steyr: what has been your experience?

Prophet River is stocking Steyr rifles now. You don't see many of them for sale used, likely in part because not many are sold comparatively speaking.

What has been your experience with them?
Old 05-25-2016, 08:11 AM

They are extremely well made rifles. The only weakness is the plastic floorplates on some models.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
They are extremely well made rifles. The only weakness is the plastic floorplates on some models.
JUNK X2 MAKES MORE JUNK.The prohunter could not be much worst for a rifle,that is one sad arrs gun.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD 848 View Post
JUNK X2 MAKES MORE JUNK.The prohunter could not be much worst for a rifle,that is one sad arrs gun.
Just curious as to whether you have had one?
Old 05-26-2016, 07:35 AM

A buddy bought a 300 from PR a couple years ago. Been his go to rifle ever since then. He loves it. One of the most accurate factory rifles I've seen too.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD 848 View Post
And what is this based on JD.
When you research the rifle (I did last year though admittedly didn't purchase) I couldn't find one bad review.
So what's your gripe?
Old 05-26-2016, 10:25 AM

I have had 2. Both older models one was the professional, and one was a "L" mannlicher. So the following is in reference to the older ones, not the new version.

9/10 will have cracked bottom metal (plastic), many professionals have cracked or broken stocks, the sides of the stock are incredible thin on the wood stocked models (to the point of much worry) . Parts were/are almost non existent. Barrels were press fit and cross pinned.

If I HAD to own another, the only one I may consider is a older Luxus. Or another professional, which I would restock with a wildcat and build a custom metal bottom metal for. The luxus had a thinner, all steel bottom metal and mag.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:30 AM

My ssg 04 a1 is solid. Well made and a tac driver. You don't see many for sale because people don't sell them since they are awesome guns.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:38 PM

I've got a Mannlicher M, with single set trigger and really like it, a really well made rifle, incredible trigger and the wood work (barrel inletting and where it is cut around the action and mag is craftsmanship above what you would see from a vast majority of American brand rifles, I would also buy a prohunter in a second if left handed models were readily available, ignore the negative post above.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:12 PM

Default choices

Let me see, what don't I like about my Pro Hunter in 6.5 x 55.........

mY OTHER sTEYR IS IN A NEWER MANNLICHER MODEL IN 222 with spectacular wood and the only minor issue I have with this rifle is the ejection port opening is too small to single feed cartridges. FS
Old 05-27-2016, 04:36 PM

My father got an SBS for $1 back in 1999. It's a 25-06. Still in my safe all these years. Have killed many a deer in 3 provinces and 2 states. I would say that it's pretty good. Took my longest shot with it at a coyote. Approximately 550 meters. The coyote just tipped over dead. Ergonomically works for me.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:54 AM
Banned

Default SM 12 in 6.5 by 55

Last year I special ordered a SM 12 full stock all the way to the muzzle in 6.5 by 55 caliber.
Single set trigger is a dream. Cannot imagine being without one.
Contoured for caliber barrel.
There are some nice videos on Utube about Styr SM 12 and the factory in general.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:01 AM

Had 3 (222, 270, 375 ouch and ouch) wonderfully accurate ... the 375 would shoot 1.0moa with open factory sights at 100m ... it is the plastic that parted our ways
Old 05-28-2016, 09:21 AM

Briefly handled a buddies pro hunter. Was dismayed by a creepy mushy trigger. Sample of one FWIW.
Old 12-26-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
I have had 2. Both older models one was the professional, and one was a "L" mannlicher. So the following is in reference to the older ones, not the new version.

9/10 will have cracked bottom metal (plastic), many professionals have cracked or broken stocks, the sides of the stock are incredible thin on the wood stocked models (to the point of much worry) . Parts were/are almost non existent. Barrels were press fit and cross pinned.

If I had to own another, the only one I may consider is a older Luxus. Or another professional, which I would restock with a wildcat and build a custom metal bottom metal for. The luxus had a thinner, all steel bottom metal and mag.
Just an update, I was wrong about the pressfit barrels. That was only on some SSG’s apparently. The professional I recently looked at had a threaded barrel.
Old 12-26-2020, 02:04 PM

Brother and I bought matching pro hunter sbs in 300 wsm because someone we know had one.
All three are incredibly accurate. Load development for me with 180 accubond I recall a 3 shot group that was two holes overlapped like an 8.
I got out of the magnum scene but the fellow who bought mine said it’s now his favourite gun (and he has a lot - and has had plenty more)
Stock complaints about being too flexible? Sure, but I didn’t put a bipod on mine.
Trigger, not the greatest but was plenty accurate for me.
Recoil pad was pretty stiff.
Browning a-bolt bases work.
Safety was amazing.
But accuracy rules for me. And it was accurate.
Solid, well built gun. Factory pressure tests at 120k psi
Old 12-26-2020, 02:54 PM

What about Sauer rifles? There quite a few European rifles making it to the north American market and many are being priced competitively. Lots have short bolt lifts too instead of the 90 degrees and many are switch barrel and break down on the higher end models

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2020, 03:09 PM

Steyr, Sauer, Heym, Blaser, Sako, Anschutz and all of the European center fire rifles are usually far better made than NA guns in the same price bracket. Sako's entry level gun is the Tikka and it is a much better built gun than the Remington 700 at the same price. The Germans just can't bring themselves to turn out a Ruger American or a Savage Axis. They also have higher end models that are FAR above the quality of their entry level guns. The lower end guns are strictly a concession to the North American markets. Most Europeans that hunt are VERY well off and the price of a good quality gun is no deterrent at all.

I have shot many of the higher end European rifles. I have never shot one that wasn't superbly accurate and very well made. I haven't tried the Steyr models being discussed but I would bet money they are much better built than a $900 Ruger or Remington.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
What about Sauer rifles? There quite a few European rifles making it to the north American market and many are being priced competitively. Lots have short bolt lifts too instead of the 90 degrees and many are switch barrel and break down on the higher end models

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I've been looking at them. A whole lot of features that make me think they'll run with Tikka or better including the 60 degree bolt throw. Very interesting action bedding wih no recoil lug. Double stack 5 or 4 round mags. 3 lug bolts. Breech ring manufacturing. Dual ejectors with low trajectory ejection. 10 year barrel warranty. Target crowned. Rem 700 scope mount compatable. More rigid polymer stock. Adjustable trigger between 2.2 and 4 lbs.
Old 12-26-2020, 05:41 PM

Had one, got ride of it. Helped a couple buddies with problems with their Steyr Prohunters and convinced them to get different hunting rifles. Steyr makes a mediocre rifle. They have good barrels and do tend to be accurate, but there are too many problems with the new rifles for me.

1. Plastic mags, as previously mentioned, tend to crack.

2. The bolt is very typically over-engineered and I really dislike the open, underside of the shroud. They tend to collect dust and fluff. If it comes apart, you will need blueprints and a team of techs to put it back together.

3. The stocks suck. Way too flimsy and flexible. Nothing available for an aftermarket upgrade.

4. Although the barrels are good and do lean towards always being solid and accurate, the manner in which the barrels are attached to the receivers prevents a new barrel being attached, in the event the original is burned out.
Old 12-26-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
Had one, got ride of it. Helped a couple buddies with problems with their Steyr Prohunters and convinced them to get different hunting rifles. Steyr makes a mediocre rifle. They have good barrels and do tend to be accurate, but there are too many problems with the new rifles for me.

1. Plastic mags, as previously mentioned, tend to crack.

2. The bolt is very typically over-engineered and I really dislike the open, underside of the shroud. They tend to collect dust and fluff. If it comes apart, you will need blueprints and a team of techs to put it back together.

3. The stocks suck. Way too flimsy and flexible. Nothing available for an aftermarket upgrade.

4. Although the barrels are good and do lean towards always being solid and accurate, the manner in which the barrels are attached to the receivers prevents a new barrel being attached, in the event the original is burned out.

Dont know Steyr real well but I believe the process you speak of for attaching barrels is heat pressing. Lots of the higher end Euros do it and there's just reason for it. It has its advantages.

If we assume barrel life to be between 1200 - 2000 rounds, depending on cartridge of course, the average hunter won't get near that in two lifetimes. If you're one gun paper and gong shooting a lot, sure. I'd say its a moot point based on how many "hunters" replace barrels.

Would i turn down a $9500.00 Sauer because of this? Not a chance. And their lead price models are threaded anyways. Cant speak to Steyr.

Last edited by 270person; 12-26-2020 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:46 AM

Dunno about the negative comments about a Pro-Hunter.
I have one in 30-06.
It is not much of a looker, the stock flexes a bit.
The stock geometry is however excellent - this is a very soft shooting rifle, doesn't seem to matter whether shooting 150s or 180s.
Shoots ragged holes with 150 TTSXs/H4895 and very tight groups with Barnes 180 factory loads.
I'm not the least bit worried about taking it out in the rain, or smashing around in the bush or in a boat. I have zero concerns about ever having to replace the barrel in my lifetime. I have two mags with me whenever I'm hunting - so if one ever cracks... I'll use the other one.
It has a very nice, clean trigger and it shoots out the lights - the rifle exceeds my abilities by a good margin.
Probably depends what you are looking for in a rifle but I'd buy another one.

Last edited by Sundog57; 12-27-2020 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog57 View Post
Dunno about the negative comments about a Pro-Hunter.

I have one in 30-06.

It is not much of a looker, the stock flexes a bit.

The stock geometry is however excellent - this is a very soft shooting rifle, doesn't seem to matter whether shooting 150s or 180s.

Shoots ragged holes with 150 TTSXs/H4895 and very tight groups with Barnes 180 factory loads.

I'm not the least bit worried about taking it out in the rain, or smashing around in the bush or in a boat. I have zero concerns about ever having to replace the barrel in my lifetime. I have two mags with me whenever I'm hunting - so if one ever cracks... I'll use the other one.

It has a very nice, clean trigger and it shoots out the lights - the rifle exceeds my abilities by a good margin.

Probably depends what you are looking for in a rifle but I'd buy another one.
This is an old thread someone resurrected. I too bought a prohunter in 30-06 and echo your comments.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2020, 11:17 AM

There needs to be an unstandstanding that Steyr doesn't mean the same model across the board. It's like when guys discuss sako and don't mention the model when they have had many series and models.
Likewise steyr has changed designs and construction with the different models. My comments about brittle plastic were about the older L, and M that I had, not the newer prohunters. I'm sure the plastic on the prohunters is superior to the original older ones. But I also discovered that Nordic marksman sells new bottom metal (plastic) and mags for the older generations so hopefully it's better plastic than the old days.
The flip side is when you handle one (the older rear locking steyrs) and work the bolt, and use the double set trigger it brings a smile to your face. The metal work is a work of art. I have not handled a prohunter so I cant comment on them.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:31 AM

A beauty here listed on CGN...
https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...ighlight=Steyr