Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-06-2016, 09:23 PM

Default CZ 455 Issue

I'm shooting a CZ 455 22WMR for my primary gopher getter. The factory trigger was awful so I installed a Rifle Basix in short order. Amazing difference. I've got it breaking very light(10 oz) and have eliminated all creep. Round count since this mod is upwards of 1000. The bolt has started to come right out of the receiver when cycling. Removed the barrelled action to ensure it wasn't a binding issue of some sort with the stock. Same story. Cleaned the trigger assembly thoroughly and it was not dirty by any means. Inspected pins which look fine and I put dabs of epoxy on the pin ends upon initial install as a retainer of sorts. Everything looks good. Am I looking at an issue with the bolt stop on top of the sear? Rounded edge or a possible machining issue? I never really looked at it in detail to see how much of a lip was on it initially but obviously it is shiny now from the bolt sliding over.

I should note that I tried increasing tension on the weight of pull spring and played with the sear engagement to see if it changed anything but to no avail.

Any thoughts appreciated. Will most likely be a trip to my smith.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:43 PM

Your description of the problem sounds much like this fellows.
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=42430.0

This forum has a lot of interesting information and many CZ fans who may be able to help you out.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/

When you do figure out what is causing your problem make sure you post the solution as you will be helping out others who do online searches looking for help.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:46 AM

Thank you for the link. I'm that much closer to sorting this out.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:40 AM

If the trigger is good and clean then the cause is almost certainly insufficient sear engagement. Check your settings to make sure you are allowing the trigger to rotate fully forward after each shot.

Once you are sure the trigger is fully forward measure the engagement while cocked. Try the bump test and try turning the safety off and on. If the engagement is not enough adjust more sear engagement into the trigger. You may end up with a bit of creep, but that is better than the bolt falling out. If the poor sear engagement is the result of the sear not being perfectly flat and even, RB is absolutely great on their warranty service. Call Clay and he will send you a complete new trigger.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:23 PM

Will do Dean. I looked specifically at the sear engagement as you suggested. It does appear like those surfaces are not mating up true to one another. Almost like one is sitting on a tip of the other rather than bearing across an entire radius. Have an email in to RB to see what they figure and go from there. Thanks for the response.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:32 PM

Posting this in response to a couple requests on how it turned out. My gunsmith had a look at it and determined that the cause was poor seat engagement as a couple fellows had suggested. We ended up doing some very light stone work on the bearing surfaces. This brought it back reasonably but not perfect like it was. He suggested a new trigger if I couldn't get used to it or if the problem returns at some point. Cool.

So I tried contacting Rifle Basix just to see what their opinion on the situation was. Pretty disappointing to say the least which really sucks as they do ship up to Canada. 3 emails, 3 calls with voice mail left and not one response to any of them. Which surprised me a bit seeing as when I first received this trigger a part was missing and they were very prompt in getting the missing part to me. I have purchased a few triggers from them and I have to fall in line with my mentality with purchasing vehicles. I can spend my money anywhere but the continued service received is what will keep me coming back. Seeing as I haven't been able to get a response the last dime they received from me was the last.

Regardless of the outcome with RB, I do appreciate the responses provided here and the solid advice. Thanks again guys.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:04 PM

Glad u got it worked out. I wouldnt give up an RB and Clay. I have dealt with them for years and alwys hat exceptional service. There has to be a glitch od some sort if they aren't responding right away.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:46 PM

Default Resolution

Resurrection of an older thread but after quite a while there have been some happenings more in line with Dean2’s experiences with Rifle Basix.

So after swearing off RB after no contact, I decided to order another trigger from them for my 77/22WMR. Installed it today and a great product. I emailed them a review as the website wouldn’t let me create an account. It was a positive review and I figured I’d once again bring up the 455 issue I had, my attempt to contact them and no response. I received a response within hours and Clay informed me they have an updated model which addresses the issues I and others were experiencing. Clay was more than happy to offer an exchange of the trigger I have for the new model at their cost and apologized as I slipped through the cracks somehow. Anywho, regardless of timeline and circumstance; efforts on their end to make things right speak volumes to me about the character of the business. Sorry again for bringing up an old thread but I’d hate for someone to be influenced negatively over my initial accounts of this experience vs the positive one that it’s ultimately become.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Resurrection of an older thread but after quite a while there have been some happenings more in line with Dean2’s experiences with Rifle Basix.

So after swearing off RB after no contact, I decided to order another trigger from them for my 77/22WMR. Installed it today and a great product. I emailed them a review as the website wouldn’t let me create an account. It was a positive review and I figured I’d once again bring up the 455 issue I had, my attempt to contact them and no response. I received a response within hours and Clay informed me they have an updated model which addresses the issues I and others were experiencing. Clay was more than happy to offer an exchange of the trigger I have for the new model at their cost and apologized as I slipped through the cracks somehow. Anywho, regardless of timeline and circumstance; efforts on their end to make things right speak volumes to me about the character of the business. Sorry again for bringing up an old thread but I’d hate for someone to be influenced negatively over my initial accounts of this experience vs the positive one that it’s ultimately become.
I bought a .17 hmr American 455 with a rifle basix trigger installed...IF I close the bolt to fast the firing pin will not engage properly and I will have to re cock the action a second time...annoying but other wise a nice trigger.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I bought a .17 hmr American 455 with a rifle basix trigger installed...IF I close the bolt to fast the firing pin will not engage properly and I will have to re cock the action a second time...annoying but other wise a nice trigger.
That is really easy to adjust so it doesn't happen. It is also a sign the trigger pull is set too low or the sear has insufficient engagement. Both of these are a dangerous condition and means the gun could go off unexpectedly when the safety is released or the gun is bumped. For safety sake you should get this fixed immediately. If you aren't comfortable adjusting the trigger, the instructions are available on line at Rifle Basix, take it in and have it set properly. IF you are going to be in the area of Edmonton, I would be happy to show you how to fix it.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Your description of the problem sounds much like this fellows.
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=42430.0

This forum has a lot of interesting information and many CZ fans who may be able to help you out.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/

When you do figure out what is causing your problem make sure you post the solution as you will be helping out others who do online searches looking for help.
Thats an interesting occurence that is taking place.
Going to go and read up on this phenomena for future reference as I consider myself a fanboy of CZ .22's
Thanks for the links.
Rob