Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Banned

Some more video. Still didnt see much horse sign every where and spring is the best time to see it!!

http://youtu.be/RCqnQeH45O0
Old 06-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Banned

Well I see no one wants to take up my offer to head west and show what they have stated. Well the offer is out there but im sure no one will take the chance to show the world why the horses should be removed! Lots of talk on here but not many will take anything any farther than that!!!!
Old 06-01-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
A lot different than what the public will perceive when the hunt for horses is opened. You guys act like it will just go away but that is one sided thinking. The wrong hands gets a hold of hunters wanting to kill horses the results are going to be worse. The horse slaughter issue is already ongoing so it will be just a continuing process not a total new issue the public will see opened out.

Here is a thought. You all talk about eating horse but why does not one of you guys go stop the slaughter of horses and get you horse fix now?? Bet most of you aren't ballsy enough to run all this horse hunting past your wife and kids LOL but im sure you will all say they are good with it!
Already done.

Three for and one against in the family. My wife won't eat duck or lamb either though. Loves bear meat.

She isn't opposed to eating horse -- just doesn't think she can do it herself.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 06-01-2013, 07:38 PM

Last year I had a feral horse problem. A small herd took up residence and raised hell with our horses. The Feral Stud was repeatedly breaking into the corral trying to get to the stock to follow him away. He inflicted some pretty good damage on a few of our horses.

He lead a group of five; three mayers, and two yearlings. These were trapped and sent to slaughter, but the stud was too educated to go into the trap. I had to shoot this Feral Stud.

Without question, the quick ending for the stud was much more compassionate and easy on the horse than what the rest of the herd went through. Shooting the horse was not a big deal. Loading up those mayers and young into the trailer was one of the most unpleasant things I've done.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Banned

There seems to be a healthy Elk population on that horse devastated land.

capture permits would be a great place to begin who could think of a better way to solve two problems. it will help control the horse population it will give an option for some people to get horses. Anyone that believes that you could open a horse hunt and there not be repercussions is kidding themselves there would be issues from animal rights anti gun groups anti hunting groups just about any horse organization you could think of,if you think that it will blow over quickly you would be wrong. plus the number of people supporting these groups would increase.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Last year I had a feral horse problem. A small herd took up residence and raised hell with our horses. The Feral Stud was repeatedly breaking into the corral trying to get to the stock to follow him away. He inflicted some pretty good damage on a few of our horses.

He lead a group of five; three mayers, and two yearlings. These were trapped and sent to slaughter, but the stud was too educated to go into the trap. I had to shoot this Feral Stud.

Without question, the quick ending for the stud was much more compassionate and easy on the horse than what the rest of the herd went through. Shooting the horse was not a big deal. Loading up those mayers and young into the trailer was one of the most unpleasant things I've done.

I agree with you. Landowners should have the right to deal with these issues. I know alot of people, wifey included, that have no problem with hunting as is. These same people would fight tooth and nail against opening up tags on feral horses. In fact some of these people would side with the anti crowd in a heart beat in opposition to horse hunting. Its not ****ing off the anti crowd we should be mindful of. These people for the most part are a write off. Its the neutral crowd we should be aware of. I personally do not have very strong feelings on this issue. Saying that I do think that this would have some serious blowback.

Also who would wanna go through the advertising onslaught of horse hunting "gear"?
Old 06-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Banned

So tell me Dale what private land did you shoot said horse on as well as trap the rest?
Old 06-01-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new LT View Post

capture permits would be a great place to begin who could think of a better way to solve two problems. it will help control the horse population it will give an option for some people to get horses. Anyone that believes that you could open a horse hunt and there not be repercussions is kidding themselves there would be issues from animal rights anti gun groups anti hunting groups just about any horse organization you could think of,if you think that it will blow over quickly you would be wrong. plus the number of people supporting these groups would increase.
If you feel good about lying to yourself and the world that captured horses become the playmates of orphaned little girls then your idea is great. The reality is that the vast majority of captured horses end up on a menu. The anti's know that too. They are simply exploiting fissures to divide the hunting community.

Would YOU actively protest if a season on horses opened up?

Marshall McLuhan
Old 06-01-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:

The bolded comment reveals why using just Sheepguide's beautiful photos has little value in determining the true impact of feral horse in this area.
Ask SG how healthy the elk population is in the Ya Ha.

*I'm not stating that Feral horses in this area are or are not causing significant damage, or that they did or did not play a role in the elk herd's demise. I'll wait for a proper evaluation before forming that opinion.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
If you feel good about lying to yourself and the world that captured horses become the playmates of orphaned little girls then your idea is great. The reality is that the vast majority of captured horses end up on a menu. The anti's know that too. They are simply exploiting fissures to divide the hunting community.

Who is in control of the horses to run the hunt of these animals? Nothing will ever happen as no one wants to take responsibility for the ownership such as they do for wildlife. So it's not even an issue what would happen as it will never happen. It's been brought up for years. No governing body of any sort is going to take on the responsibility of being the ones to open a hunting season on horses. They won't fix the predator issues and closed the bear season because of to many fuzzy feelings. The thoughts of tbem allowing horse hunting is a pipe dream by many that obviously don't understand.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
The bolded comment reveals why using just Sheepguide's beautiful photos has little value in determining the true impact of feral horse in this area.

*I'm not stating that Feral horses in this area are or are not causing significant damage, or that they did or did not play a role in the elk herd's demise. I'll wait for a proper evaluation before forming that opinion.
Elk population is undetermined on healthiness!! Have the populations moved? Has the population dropped to the carrying capacity? What is the carrying capacity?
Lots of questions that no one has answered so really Buff neither you nor I can answer the question you ask.
Are numbers lower than in the past? By far!!!! Are they healthy? Not in my books but there's lots I don't have the answers for on that topic.

But I do know there is no where near the horse presence to have any affect on elk populations proving that if the population is infact low there are contributing that are beyond what many are blaming it on!!

Last edited by sheepguide; 06-01-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
So tell me Dale what private land did you shoot said horse on as well as trap the rest?
Bump incase you missed it! Your not admiring to shooting free ranging horses are you Dale?
Old 06-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Banned

This very topic and your stupidity got u booted last time ...what's the delay now i don't know ..you will never change

Quote:
Well I see no one wants to take up my offer to head west and show what they have stated. Well the offer is out there but im sure no one will take the chance to show the world why the horses should be removed! Lots of talk on here but not many will take anything any farther than that!!!!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Some more video. Still didnt see much horse sign every where and spring is the best time to see it!!

http://youtu.be/RCqnQeH45O0
it's interesting how you have retreated to the yaha tinda....
Old 06-01-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauna View Post
This very topic and your stupidity got u booted last time ...what's the delay now i don't know ..you will never change
Wow heck of a 3rd post!
Old 06-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Wow heck of a 3rd post!
ya enough horse %*#$ from some on here and yes its all over out west ..i've seen it ..
Old 06-01-2013, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
it's interesting how you have retreated to the yaha tinda....
Just covering one topic brought up On the carrying capacity and issues at the ya ha.

What wOuld you like to discus Nait?? You volunteering to come be videoed anywhere in the west showing the destruction and documenting why horses are the cause of elk populations dropping. Great bud!!! Time and place and I'll pick you up! Put your money where your mouth is. You talk the talk lets see if your confident enough to put it up I front of all the members here. I will so just tell me when.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you have an issue why not discus it instead if being a dick? What do you not agree with? I've tried to show as much proof as I can. Is that not enough. No one else seems to so since I do I'm the bad guy and should be kicked off the forum. Get a grip dude. Contribute or move on. Have an issue with me send a PM and I'll gladly talk with ya.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:22 PM
Banned

It's actually on the brink of a disaster...the horses hafta to go or tell ur grandchildren about elk hunting out west in a story book..
Old 06-01-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Just covering one topic brought up On the carrying capacity and issues at the ya ha.

What wOuld you like to discus Nait?? You volunteering to come be videoed anywhere in the west showing the destruction and documenting why horses are the cause of elk populations dropping. Great bud!!! Time and place and I'll pick you up! Put your money where your mouth is. You talk the talk lets see if your confident enough to put it up I front of all the members here. I will so just tell me when.
I have already been there, neither you or any other horse huggers were.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you have an issue why not discus it instead if being a dick? What do you not agree with? I've tried to show as much proof as I can. Is that not enough. No one else seems to so since I do I'm the bad guy and should be kicked off the forum. Get a grip dude. Contribute or move on. Have an issue with me send a PM and I'll gladly talk with ya.
horses or elk ....now get a popular vote pal
Old 06-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post

so now because you have no answers you are going to try to make me seem like a fool. I thought you had some credibility but you just lost any you had you are no different then any of the other bozos on here all mouth no proof i'm done with you but not the thread. next time try reading whats posted.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Banned

Quote:

From what those pics showed there were healthy elk there was a fair amount of crap so the Elk that were there were apparently eating well. I did not say there was a large population I said they were healthy there is a diffrence.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:39 PM

Perhaps horses are able to survive a harsh winter bettet than elk......would that not expkain the elk decline?..... Ive seen deer numbers drop by 80% over the course of a couple winters... Why blame what you dont know?
Old 06-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
How do you know if you have just been here since April unless you are one of those banned returners that BEE GUY is always talking about lets find out..
Old 06-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
ya enough horse %*#$ from some on here and yes its all over out west ..i've seen it ..
Then prove it instead of just gumming..
Old 06-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
if you have nothing to add don't spoil the thread just leave thanks
Old 06-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
horses or elk ....now get a popular vote pal
Like I said show me the proof. Like I offered any day I'll go out and video you showing the proof of what horses are doing!! You cocky enough to put up. I doubt it.

And again the Ya Ha is the largest elk population drop in Alberta and I'll guarantee none of you can prove one bit that horse numbers had a thing to do with it but I'll take the time to go look with you. But again not one of you will especially you !! Big talker but a man of little action Im guessing.
But even you talking doesn't contribute or even show your stance. Maybe try adding something valuable to the thread with your vast knowledge of the subject!! Show us your reasoning other than the slurred comments you have posted so far.

Now back to the topIc!!!

Last edited by sheepguide; 06-01-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Then prove it instead of just gumming..
lmao ..i have been out west , yaha tinda , seen the chit and disaster (today) . You cannot drive a road without it..you and sheep guy friends maybe ..get a grip and go LOOK ....if i show pics of horsey doing bad can we get rid of them ?
Old 06-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
lmao ..i have been out west , yaha tinda , seen the chit and disaster (today) . You cannot drive a road without it..you and sheep guy friends maybe ..get a grip and go LOOK ....if i show pics of horsey doing bad can we get rid of them ?
Post up your pics! And which area of the Ya Ha you travel just out of curiosity? Could you explain a bit and I'll go out Monday and video the area for you.
Closed Thread