Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Seals.
mmm seal flippers been along time since i have had them for dinner

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 05-30-2013, 05:50 PM

Default Ibtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
And I always will call them wild!! My preference and my opinion!!
x2
Old 05-30-2013, 05:58 PM

So much emotion tied up in the stupid things. The new proposed law would protect them from ever being trapped, or shot, or harassed and would protect their habitat from being altered. Horrible law IMO.

We need to be able to control their numbers when needed without having to go through douche-bags in Ottawa to do so.

My belief is that if you protect them to the degree that the designation would, that you will see more of them being shot and left than you do now (which only happens rarely).

Yes I like seeing them when I am out, but now see several dozen to a hundred on every trip. They need a severe knockdown on numbers right now.

And calling them wild does not change the fact that they are feral. You can call Rosie Odonell "svelte" if you want but it doesn't mean she's not fat.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 05-30-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
put lipstick on a pig its still a pig
ya but a pig doesn't turn into a lawyer or politician after 3 drinks either
Old 05-30-2013, 06:32 PM

People in this country get plain stupid when it comes to animals we consider pets. They are a feral animal and I thought ferral animals could be shot anytime. If pigs were considered "cute" then people would want
to protect them. I don't know if "'wild" horses cause any kind is problems but protecting and invasive spiecies is stupid. I am not saying we should go out and shoot them all but no special designations should be give
to a domestic animal that got loose. We need to stop messing with nature so much!

Last edited by michaelmicallef; 05-30-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
People in this country get plain stupid when it comes to animals we consider pets. They are a feral animal and I thought ferral animals could be shot anytime. If pigs were considered "cute" then people would want
to protect them. I don't know if "'wild" horses cause any kind is problems but protecting and invasive spiecies is stupid. I am not saying we should go out and shoot them all but no special designations should be give
to a domestic animal that got loose. We need to stop messing with nature so much!
Should we remove all the brown trout in our streams as well. Have no catch sizes or limits?

Last edited by sheepguide; 05-30-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Should we remove all the brown trout in our streams as well. Have to catch sizes or limits?
No. But you should put a season and some tags on the horses for those that want to take some.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 05-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
No. But you should put a season and some tags on the horses for those that want to take some.
Like I said that's fine but trust me the talk of hunting horses or the act of hunting horses is something we as hunters honestly do not want anything to do with. You want to give hunters a bad name and the antis more power that is the best way.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:52 PM

Let the horses be. Control there numbers and everyone is happy. Its that easy.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 05-30-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Like I said that's fine but trust me the talk of hunting horses or the act of hunting horses is something we as hunters honestly do not want anything to do with. You want to give hunters a bad name and the antis more power that is the best way.
I'm not worried about the power of the anti's. As long as horse hunters prove they are utilizing the animal there should be no traction. The best way to preserve species is to put a season on it and make it valuable to someone. The total protection the horse lovers want will make for way more shoot n' scoot incidents with the animals left to rot.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 05-30-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I'm not worried about the power of the anti's. As long as horse hunters prove they are utilizing the animal there should be no traction. The best way to preserve species is to put a season on it and make it valuable to someone. The total protection the horse lovers want will make for way more shoot n' scoot incidents with the animals left to rot.
I disagree. Far too much emotion tied up with these horses to put a season on them, and issue tags. There's better ways to control their numbers than issuing tags for them. And I'm not saying this from an emotional standpoint, more from a political and common sense perspective. Not sure why anyone would want to go out and shoot one anyway, but maybe that's just me.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
That all sounds fine and dandy but anyone that doesn't think people shooting horses in NA isn't going to get a huge rise out of the non hunting community is totally dilusional. Look at the bad press wolf hunting gets hunters when that gets posted! Horses would be 10x worse. Look at what kind of issue we have with anties and game animal hunting now. Throw horses in there and that group against us will start multiplying at alarming rates. No matter if you feel the anti or non hunting communities reactions should be worried about it will be a huge negative exposure against us and a huge boost for support for groups wanting horses protected.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Let the horses be. Control there numbers and everyone is happy. Its that easy.
Too logical, no one will ever go for it. Actually, the places I've been the last few months there seem to be a lot less thanks to the government's removal process.

Grizz
Old 05-30-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
That all sounds fine and dandy but anyone that doesn't think people shooting horses in NA isn't going to get a huge rise out of the non hunting community is totally dilusional. Look at the bad press wolf hunting gets hunters when that gets posted! Horses would be 10x worse. Look at what kind of issue we have with anties and game animal hunting now. Throw horses in there and that group against us will start multiplying at alarming rates. No matter if you feel the anti or non hunting communities reactions should be worried about it will be a huge negative exposure against us and a huge boost for support for groups wanting horses protected.
Frankly, you're just exaggerating the expected response due to your own emotional attachment to the horses. We still hunt wolves because it makes sense from a wildlife management point of view. We do that despite the outcry. Horses should be no different. You do it long enough it becomes normal. The same sentiments you expressed above were said about the opening of swan seasons in the United States. Many states now have a season and there is little outcry.

Hunters will get a worse image when protected dead horses start cropping up left to rot. You know true hunters would not do that but the media and antis don't give a crap and will blame us anyway. They do not make the distinction between hunters and poachers. So we might as well have an openly regulated hunt to counter their slander.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 05-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Frankly, you're just exaggerating the expected response due to your own emotional attachment to the horses. We still hunt wolves because it makes sense from a wildlife management point of view. We do that despite the outcry. Horses should be no different. You do it long enough it becomes normal. The same sentiments you expressed above were said about the opening of swan seasons in the United States. Many states now have a season and there is little outcry.

Hunters will get a worse image when protected dead horses start cropping up left to rot. You know true hunters would not do that but the media and antis don't give a crap and will blame us anyway. They do not make the distinction between hunters and poachers. So we might as well have an openly regulated hunt to counter their slander.
You obviously haven't seen many pics posted on the net of wolf harvests. There is a huge out cry anytime this stuff is posted!

You compare swans to horses. How many young kids and non hunters have a clue about swans? Now how many know and care about horses? Doesn't matter my emotion. The emotion of millions that love their pet horse or that just love horses is a group I prefer to not have against us as hunters.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Sheep hunter...really nice pictures you have there in the summer and the spring.

I want you tell me what the effective growing season is for grass in the Ya Ya Tinda? When you can answer that question we can get back to the real serious discussion. Otherwise you're just surmising based on feelings. Ask Eldon for details if you don't know them yourself... he flew the same area with me.
Eldon have any pics or you guys to busy playing spin the bottle on the couch?
Old 05-30-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
You obviously haven't seen many pics posted on the net of wolf harvests. There is a huge out cry anytime this stuff is posted!

You compare swans to horses. How many young kids and non hunters have a clue about swans? Now how many know and care about horses? Doesn't matter my emotion. The emotion of millions that love their pet horse or that just love horses is a group I prefer to not have against us as hunters.
Careful, Sheepguide, didn't you get in trouble, just about here, last time?

Grizz
Old 05-30-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
horses is for riding and burnin hay and to spend money on, and dawg food or glue!!!!! that's why they have over 80,000 in feedlots in southern alberta for

pigs is for ham and bacon,
cows is for BBQ,ing,
chickens is for eggs and deep frying ,
ducks is for quacking,
geese is for honking,
dogs is for hunting with and barking and digging holes in yer lawn ,
cats is for target practice and catchin mice,
sheep and goats in this country is for bear bait
but in other countries they is for Fornicating with.
but horses aint for shooting

so stop argueing with each other and get along,
that's what liberals and politicians are for
GEESH GUYS
Old 05-30-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:

I agree with your point 100 percent. If the animal in question was a goat, chicken, pig or whatever there would be no argument. Because its a horse, and we as a culture have a soft spot for them, the argument gets distorted and what is the right thing to do for native wildlife gets shoved to the back burner. Wildlife managers need to make the right decision. Introduced species do not belong in our wild places as sustainable population. You don't hear to much complaining about the hundreds of horses killed in Fort Macleod everyday. The idiots will get over it sooner or later IMO.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:43 PM

Could a preserve be set up, and that area would be the only place that wild(feral) horses be allowed to roam wild or free?

Finding a place may that is suitable may not be that easy, but it may be worth a try. And who's to say that other outdoor activities cannot be persued in the area such as quadding, hunting, hiking or fishing.

At first I thought that hunting would be the answer, but after further deliberation, I think that it would be pure poison to go that direction. Let the wild horse nuts be responsible for the horses, at their expense, not the taxpayer's expense.

http://www.canadianconstitutionfoundation.ca/donate.php

If you need their help.

http://www.canadianconstitutionfoundation.ca/case.php
Old 05-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
I agree with your point 100 percent. If the animal in question was a goat, chicken, pig or whatever there would be no argument. Because its a horse, and we as a culture have a soft spot for them, the argument gets distorted and what is the right thing to do for native wildlife gets shoved to the back burner. Wildlife managers need to make the right decision. Introduced species do not belong in our wild places as sustainable population. You don't hear to much complaining about the hundreds of horses killed in Fort Macleod everyday. The idiots will get over it sooner or later IMO.
There Is the comments that will sink the ship. Harp on boys. See where it gets ya.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:10 PM

Don't fear the antis, they hate hunters anyway, when the guy from Mountain air lodge had his life ruined based on the accusations of a friggin' crack-head who was out for the reward, none of them worried about hunters' feelings did they?
Old 05-30-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
There Is the comments that will sink the ship. Harp on boys. See where it gets ya.
???
Old 05-30-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:

Swans are pretty. So are horses. That is all 99.9% of the antis know or feel the need to know. They all care about pretty (which is why a Trudeau will be our next PM)

I have seen the negative reaction to my own avatar as well as the masses of anthropomorphic morons hand wringing over the wolves. So what?

To the rest – they will get over it. The masses will eventually lose interest and go away. This will leave behind only the diehard zealots, who protest everything about hunting anyway. Show that the horses are being utilized and the protests will be muted.

I can accept that there is a place for the horses albeit in very small populations. There are too many now IMO and they need to be controlled. The most direct and honest way is by direct human consumption for those so inclined. The trapping is less humane than a bullet for animals that mostly get shipped to slaughter anyway.

I get your side. I do respect it. I just don't agree with it. I will leave it at that.

Have a great night.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 05-30-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
???
The horse slaughter industry came close to being destroyed based on emotions. I can't believe you guys are so naive to think the same wouldn't happen to us.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:18 PM
Banned

If rich white folks are so concerned about the feral horses, they should pen a bunch on their estate.

Put a bunch in zoos.

Then eradicate the ones on the loose in the west country.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:25 PM

I know, let's set up trail cameras, hair traps, do DNA studies, radio collar programs and we can spend lots of money proving we have no grizzly bears .... Oops i mean horses in this province. Then at least someone can get rich protecting them.

Oh and as an aside if someone wants to test something out I will give you my rope and you can drop it over the neck of one of those critters. You'll see what wild is....and I'll hold the camera for ya.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
If rich white folks are so concerned about the feral horses, they should pen a bunch on their estate.

Put a bunch in zoos.

Then eradicate the ones on the loose in the west country.
Just curious on what areas you have encountered most of the horses you have seen?
Old 05-30-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionab1 View Post
Oh and as an aside if someone wants to test something out I will give you my rope and you can drop it over the neck of one of those critters. You'll see what wild is....and I'll hold the camera for ya.
Would be amusing for sure. Coincidentally, I've often wondered how many generations it takes to be considered wild...
Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Don't fear the antis, they hate hunters anyway, when the guy from Mountain air lodge had his life ruined based on the accusations of a friggin' crack-head who was out for the reward, none of them worried about hunters' feelings did they?
Not the anti hunters you need to worry about its the non hunters in the middle you may not want to sway to the anti side of things.
Closed Thread