Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2013, 10:00 PM
Banned

Default Bear spray topic

I have never had or used bear spray but seems like it's hi-time I got some.

Are there better sprays than others?

What would you recommend and have you ever needed to use it?
Old 05-27-2013, 10:32 PM

I ne er used itbut i carry it lots and evidence shows it is effective. Once somebody put one beside the oil stove in a change room and it blew up and contaminated eveyones clothes in the room and the guy that was in there was a mess. I thoght none had got on my clothes but i couldnt wear them. Im pretty sure a bear would avoid this stuff iff it got anwhere near him i dont think you would have to be afraid of missing but if you were you could spray it on yourself and you would be saved. I dont know if one brand is better than another but i think they are all really bad.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
I ne er used itbut i carry it lots and evidence shows it is effective. Once somebody put one beside the oil stove in a change room and it blew up and contaminated eveyones clothes in the room and the guy that was in there was a mess. I thoght none had got on my clothes but i couldnt wear them. Im pretty sure a bear would avoid this stuff iff it got anwhere near him i dont think you would have to be afraid of missing but if you were you could spray it on yourself and you would be saved. I dont know if one brand is better than another but i think they are all really bad.
WRONG. Put in on yourself now you are flavoured. Bear spray is only effective when spray in eyes and nose. Please check your info. Don't run your mouth about something you don't know.

I recently read an article the % of ingredients, duration and distance. There are differences. Ill look for it tomorrow.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
WRONG. Put in on yourself now you are flavoured. Bear spray is only effective when spray in eyes and nose. Please check your info. Don't run your mouth about something you don't know.

I recently read an article the % of ingredients, duration and distance. There are differences. Ill look for it tomorrow.
The stuff i use contains capsicain with different brands and i forget the concentration but it is like 10 times the legal amount for self defense pepper spray. Plus you get about a pint of it in the can. If there is an ingredient besides capsicain used i never saw it. In the different brands. I saw a video of it used and there are lots of cases now where its been proved effective. I know that thet if there is bear spray around in the air its going to get in your eyes and nose and if someone points it at you and hits you anywhere you are in for a bad time and so would a bear to say you have to have a perfect hit is wrong i admit that is only my personal belief from dealing with the stuff but i still believe it. Flavoured? Please check your info about that if someone has done taste tests with bear spray i didnt hear about it its a leap of faith but i dont think bears will like this flavour

Last edited by marxman; 05-28-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:55 AM

There is an expiry date on the cans. So when you purchase, be sure to check for the can with the furthest date.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:53 AM

It is worth finding an older can or two and practicing with the stuff. Outside, and spaying with the wind if any. Start by pointing the spray slightly downwards so it hits the ground just in front of the maximum distance. Then begin making circles, increasing in size, so as to make a cloud wall of the spray. This is the large deterrent, rather than simply aiming for a bears face and hoping for the best. Takes a bit of practice to access the can from your hip or chest, smoothly remove the safety, and engage the spray. Especially when you are under pressure!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:57 AM

Have seen bears licking the stuff off the leaves after spraying it around, so at least some think it is flavouring.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:58 AM

With my close encounters with bears, I have found if you spray some on the ground most times, the bear will stop and roll in it. Not sure if it would be wise to spray it on ones self. Also have found, with the brands that I use, there is only about 4 to 5 seconds of spray in a can. Best to get an expired can and shot it off in a field to get an idea on would you are dealing with before the issue arises. Remember every encounter with a bear will be different, depending on the situation at hand. Keep your smarts about you!
Old 05-28-2013, 08:08 AM

Back it up with a 12 gauge defender. works like a charm,more range and no expiry date.An air horn scares en pretty good also.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Back it up with a 12 gauge defender. works like a charm,more range and no expiry date.An air horn scares en pretty good also.
The only problem with that is that you can't legally carry firearms in a great deal of our beautiful province. Bear spray is at least an option everywhere.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:14 AM

Bear spray is more effective than a rifle .. Most people in the bush are not trained to react in a high stress situation . to be able to load aim and shoot in secounds. In the military we trained all the time so we could react to hi stress situation so we could be effective .

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 05-28-2013, 09:30 AM

when i said spray it on yourself that was a joke. not sure if that was clear in my post. i am surprised that a bear would lick or roll in this stuff because it hurts. was the stuff fressh out of the bottle or had it been sitting for a while? i have heard of a helicopter going down because it went off in someones pack. pilots want passengers to stow their bear spray in the back compertment or the outside carrier. most people cant carry a gun when in bear country for whatever reason myself included most of the time not that i would choose a gun over bear spray anyway if i wasnt hunting a gun seeems awful awkward to carry if you arent hunting i have seen lots of bears at camps and around them an air horn might or might not scare them ive seen them ignore bear bangers more than once and i could have told you that a helicopter would chase them off every time till last year turns out not true every time

Last edited by marxman; 05-28-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:43 AM

Defense Aerosols make inert cartridges, a good thing to practice with. They make Bear D'fense, Yukon Magnum and Spike bear sprays. All are non flammable and non toxic sprays with the maximum allowable capsaicin content.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Let's not start THAT argument AGAIN. This thread is about best bearspray. Let's stick to that.

With regard to the original question, the key ingredient is capsicum. By Canadian law the percentage allowed is between .75% and 1%. I'd go with a 1% product. US products sometimes say 2% but they include capsicum and related products, with don't do much.

Interesting note: Bearspry is legal to use on bears, but not cougars. Go figure.

As to the person who thought you could spray it on as a repellent, I'd be careful on that one. I've not seen the studies themselves but I've seen Q&A's put out by manufacturers tha advise against it and cite studies that lingering spray odour may actually act as an attractant! Ouch. Use it on the bear and move on.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:53 AM

"Interesting note: Bearspry is legal to use on bears, but not cougars. Go figure."

Any idea as to why?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:45 AM

cause its bear spray Da lol

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 05-28-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Let's not start THAT argument AGAIN. This thread is about best bearspray. Let's stick to that.

With regard to the original question, the key ingredient is capsicum. By Canadian law the percentage allowed is between .75% and 1%. I'd go with a 1% product. US products sometimes say 2% but they include capsicum and related products, with don't do much.

Interesting note: Bearspry is legal to use on bears, but not cougars. Go figure.

As to the person who thought you could spray it on as a repellent, I'd be careful on that one. I've not seen the studies themselves but I've seen Q&A's put out by manufacturers tha advise against it and cite studies that lingering spray odour may actually act as an attractant! Ouch. Use it on the bear and move on.
are you sure about that amount? im pretty sure i read on the bottle an amount that was 10 times the legal limit for pepper spray, 10 percent or something
Old 05-28-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
I have never had or used bear spray but seems like it's hi-time I got some.

Are there better sprays than others?

What would you recommend and have you ever needed to use it?
I would recommend you get two and get familiar with their usage. Perhaps cover yourself in a sheet of plastic and spray one. That way, your protected from any over spray........ unless there is a sudden updraft....LOL......
Old 05-28-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
The stuff i use contains capsicain with different brands and i forget the concentration but it is like 10 times the legal amount for self defense pepper spray. Plus you get about a pint of it in the can. If there is an ingredient besides capsicain used i never saw it. In the different brands. I saw a video of it used and there are lots of cases now where its been proved effective. I know that thet if there is bear spray around in the air its going to get in your eyes and nose and if someone points it at you and hits you anywhere you are in for a bad time and so would a bear to say you have to have a perfect hit is wrong i admit that is only my personal belief from dealing with the stuff but i still believe it. Flavoured? Please check your info about that if someone has done taste tests with bear spray i didnt hear about it its a leap of faith but i dont think bears will like this flavour
Bear Spray is used as a deterrent only when directed at the face of an animal. It is well established that if you apply bear spray to oneself (yikes!) or to your campsite, it acts as an attractant. That's why the manufacturers are clear on not using it in this manner. A little google search will likely find you this information if you don't believe it.

Mtn Giant, Parks Canada has an instructional youtube video on how to carry and utilize bear spray as effectively as possible. There are also a plethora of videos out there demonstrating it's use. They'll give you a pretty good idea of how and where to aim if you don't feel like buying a spare canister to practice with.

Play safe,

HK
Old 05-28-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:

are you serious about this?? do you hvae any evidence to back up your claim?? (not that i dont bleieve you but i have to see it with my own eyes )
Old 05-28-2013, 01:31 PM

For the sake of a chuckle, I'll add the following anecdote:

A buddy of mine was out climbing, and on the walk off the backside of the climb, he absolutely had to do a #2. It's a bit of an emergency, so he's rushing to find a spot, to get his harness undone, to get the t.p. out etc etc. Unbeknownst to him, the trigger guard has come off his bear spray, which is clipped to a gear loop on his harness. As he frantically crouches down to do his business, the bearspray drops to ground with his harness in an upright position, and his buttock depresses the trigger. He gets a full shot of bearspray, right in the "salad bowl"!

I don't know if he had to continue his "movement" in the seconds after this ordeal, or if the offending turd retreated right back up to his sternum, but I believe he eventually made the walk back out to the car without pants.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't endorse applying bear spray anywhere near human skin.

HK

Last edited by Heavy K; 05-28-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:34 PM

I guess this is where the term "Flaming Hoop" originated from??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy K View Post
For the sake of a chuckle, I'll add the following anecdote:

A buddy of mine was out climbing, and on the walk off the backside of the climb, he absolutely had to do a #2. It's a bit of an emergency, so he's rushing to find a spot, to get his harness undone, to the t.p. out etc etc. Unbeknownst to him, the trigger guard has come off his bear spray, which is clipped to a gear loop on his harness. As he frantically crouches down to do his business, the bearspray drops to ground with his harness in an upright position, and his buttock depresses the trigger. He gets a full shot of bearspray, right in the "salad bowl"!

I don't know if he had to continue his "movement" in the seconds after this ordeal, or if the offending turd retreated right back up to his sternum, but I believe he eventually made the walk back out to the car without pants.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't endorse applying bear spray anywhere near human skin.

HK
Old 05-28-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I guess this is where the term "Flaming Hoop" originated from??
Ha. Flamin' something at any rate!
Old 05-28-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
are you sure about that amount? im pretty sure i read on the bottle an amount that was 10 times the legal limit for pepper spray, 10 percent or something
Bearspray may indeed be ten times more powerful than "pepper spray". But pepper spray is a prohibited weapon in Canada, hence there is no "legal limit" here for it. The limit for bear spray in canada is 1%.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing_Junkie88 View Post
are you serious about this?? do you hvae any evidence to back up your claim?? (not that i dont bleieve you but i have to see it with my own eyes )
The law the regulates bear spray is the Pest Control Products act. Here are some selected Q&A's from a manufacturers website:

Q - Are these products legal in Canada?
A - Yes, these products are legal in Canada. It is important to note that similar products that are imported or smuggled into Canada from the USA, China, etc. are illegal. Importing or selling them (law enforcement excluded) in Canada can result in Canada Customs seizures and penalties for both the shipper and receiver. Canadian Sabre brand dog and bear pepper sprays have legal Health Canada approved formulations and containers, a valid Health Canada PCP Act registration number and the percentage of Capsaicin guarantee printed on their French/English labels. They are legal for citizen use in Canada for protection from injury or death by dog or bear attack.

Q – Will these products work on cougars?
A – They have the same effect on all mammals, but they are only approved in Canada for use against attacking bears.

Q - Will these products keep away gophers?
A - There have been reports that these products will keep away pests such as gophers, moles, voles, rabbits, deer, etc., but they are only approved in Canada for use against attacking bears.

Q – Can I apply bear spray to my skin and clothing just like insect repellent?
A – It is only designed to be used to spray attacking bears. Instructions are on the label.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
The law the regulates bear spray is the Pest Control Products act. Here are some selected Q&A's from a manufacturers website:

Q - Are these products legal in Canada?
A - Yes, these products are legal in Canada. It is important to note that similar products that are imported or smuggled into Canada from the USA, China, etc. are illegal. Importing or selling them (law enforcement excluded) in Canada can result in Canada Customs seizures and penalties for both the shipper and receiver. Canadian Sabre brand dog and bear pepper sprays have legal Health Canada approved formulations and containers, a valid Health Canada PCP Act registration number and the percentage of Capsaicin guarantee printed on their French/English labels. They are legal for citizen use in Canada for protection from injury or death by dog or bear attack.

Q – Will these products work on cougars?
A – They have the same effect on all mammals, but they are only approved in Canada for use against attacking bears.

Q - Will these products keep away gophers?
A - There have been reports that these products will keep away pests such as gophers, moles, voles, rabbits, deer, etc., but they are only approved in Canada for use against attacking bears.

Q – Can I apply bear spray to my skin and clothing just like insect repellent?
A – It is only designed to be used to spray attacking bears. Instructions are on the label.
fair enough... If its a couger stalking me ill just throw the can at him.... Lol.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
fair enough... If its a couger stalking me ill just throw the can at him.... Lol.
spray him. Who's he gonna tell? LOL
Old 05-28-2013, 03:44 PM

If you go down to the woods today your sure of a big surprise.

And it is...Its probably the bear you don't see or expect that will give you trouble if it has it on his/her mind.

As for me I have never once felt or been threatened by any bear including Grizzlies.

Some have approached but hightailed it when I yelled, or in one case in my Elk camp fired a warning shot.

Bear spray or anything else wont work if you cant or don't have the chance to use it.

My advice is if your that scared of bears stay out of the woods...period.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:35 PM

Once it has expired you can use it as Visene or contact lens saline solution!

Last edited by CaberTosser; 05-28-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today your sure of a big surprise.

And it is...Its probably the bear you don't see or expect that will give you trouble if it has it on his/her mind.

As for me I have never once felt or been threatened by any bear including Grizzlies.

Some have approached but hightailed it when I yelled, or in one case in my Elk camp fired a warning shot.

Bear spray or anything else wont work if you cant or don't have the chance to use it.

My advice is if your that scared of bears stay out of the woods...period.
Being scared and being prepared are 2 different things.
I've encountered many bears up close w/ no worries or problems.
Also...my wolf dog just stares at them and we just go our separate ways.
I usually carry a 12 gauge....but not so much anymore.
So I thought bear spray might be a good idea for fishing and hiking and general wilderness pleasures.
I'd rather have some physical protective back up instead of just plain ole common sense to protect me.

Does this answer your comment???

And thanks to the helpful guys for their information...I learned plenty.